Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Tettra tank placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tettra tank placement

Hi!
Where do you place the Tettra 150cc tank in your Q-500 models.
I'm about to instal one in my Viper and wonder where I'm going to put it. Up front, close to the firewall or further back at the Cof G?
I'm going to use the Nelson LS Q-500 engine.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tettra tank placement

I normally place the center of the tank about 1" forward of the CG. With the backpressure helping to collapse the bladder, you get a semi-pressurized system and can run the longer fuel lines without issue.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Ed Smith

Centred on the Balance Point. I mark the balance point on the wing saddle and the tank so I can tell if it moves. The picture shows my installation.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97230.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	728543  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
daven

Ed,

I've always had them a little forward of the C.G., with the thinking that the fuel gravitates to the back of the bladder as it empties, rather than the center.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Ed Smith

Dave,

The fuel pick up inside my bladder tanks reach only to the centre of the tank anyway. I have always made my Tettra tanks that way and the Jett tanks come that way. If I run the tank out there is never much fuel left over, a few dregs maybe.

Ed S
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Where can I find the results of the "Big race" at Broklin Park, Min.? Will show you mine if you will show me yours!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
daven

Top 3 were.

#1 Me
#2 Randy Etken
#3 Lee LaVallay

22 entrants.

Jerry E. won the Hauler Heat, a 5 plane race horse start, only 3 got off the ground.

D
Old 07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

Ed, your plane looks like there is a lot of dust on it, maybe you should come and race with us once in awhile!!!!

Jeff
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Dave:

Yea, Yes, congrats. Am honestly impressed and just may rethink giving you a hard time, at least hold out for a reasonable handicap. Our little club race ended with T-34, me #1. Thats sort of normal around here. In our open class, was the obvious fastest airframe, ended up 3rd behind Zimmerman and Winters, both think you know, not the anticipated normal results. The real bad part, was almost out of control, all over the place. These airframes are a tad faster than the quickee with sport engine class. Just could not stay up with the airplane which I have raced several times with great restults. Nothing changed except eyesight. Will get new glasses this Friday, and take the monster out to priactice. Hopefully will be able to get back into the grove. If not, may have to finally eat some humble pie. Oh heck, that would be a nasty nasty taste. All kidding aside, wish I were there to see you guys fly. ENJOY
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
daven

Roger,

Getting glasses (never had them before) did a ton for me when I started racing 428. I had no idea that the fuzzy plane in the distance could actually be seen.

You can give me a hard time whenever you want, its half the fun of racing.

We have a great group of guys up here, I definately did not have the fastest plane, or flew the best course. I caught a bunch of luck, and almost feel bad for all of the trash talking.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
[email protected]

interesting reading about some of you wearing spectacles- yes I do where them to-I did though initially have one problem and that was closeup- in fact putting the glolead onto the glowplug.........took a little while to get used to doing that. it did come right but initially quite un nerving, regards Trevor H[:-]nz
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Ed Smith

Ed, your plane looks like there is a lot of dust on it, maybe you should come and race with us once in awhile!!!!

Jeff,

Very Funny, but be warned. I may have missed races this year but I am still practicing. I drive 20 mins t0 the field at 9.0am, get in up to ten or so flights and drive home again in plenty of time for lunch.

It sure beats the 15 to 18 hour round trips, $500.00 in gas, hotels and meals for just five heats!

Ed S
Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 AM
luv to race

Next thing you know.. we will just video our "practice" sessions and post those on YouTube to decide the winner of the month. No effort or travel will be needed anymore..

Seriously though.. I hear ya.

RB
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

I am always faster at home when I am racing myself, so I will do well with this new idea!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
[email protected]

Gee Ed, if I lived in your country I could meet you halfway- we'd be able to take turns in supplying the rum and certainly be able to catchup on old times................, wheres Dr Doolittle these days? regards trevor hnz