Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Which is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 05:37 AM
dave long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is Better?

I am looking at 4 different composite pylon planes. Has anyone had experience with these?
Lyle Larson's Vendetta, Dago Red and Miss Ashley
Dan Kane's Polecat (sold by Big Bruce)
Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:07 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which is better?

Good question, but I doubt you will get a lot of answers, as this is a pretty subjective question.

Do you intend to race this plane, or is it for sport? I've flown both the Dago and Vendetta and like them both, I know that the Miss Ashley is also a very good plane. I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three.

I really don't know too much about the polecat.

My choice would be the Vendetta, only because I like the way it flies. I think my Dago may be slightly faster, but I still like the Vendetta. My Avatar is an inflight picture of my Vendetta coming around pylon #3.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:32 PM
dave long

Default Which is Better?

Daven,

Thanks for your input. I am new at pylon and appreciate ANY help. I am flying a Shrike 40 with a JETT Sport 50. I am at 155mph on the flat. My objectives are 1) use the same motor and 2) fly a composite plane. Dub suggested one of Lyle Larson's planes. Will they handle a 50 size motor? I know the weight difference is only one oz. so CG is OK. I'm more concerned with size. In the meantime I found the Polecat and Big Bruce seems more willing to spend time to help a "newbee". Any opinons/ suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:41 PM
bl10

Default Which is Better?

Dave:
I have owned all the planes you mentioned. I would be careful of the Dago as it has no washout in the wing and has a reputation for being hard to land. The Pole Cat is a great flying plane and is priced better than anything else however the kits are very rough when compared to most anything else and the fuse design makes tank installation a little dicey (Both the flat JETT and 5.5 oz Tettra tanks will fit but they are very tight). Bruce DeChastle is certainly a knowledgeable and helpful as are most kit providers I know. My personal favorite is Jerry Small's Sidewinder. It’s a little more money but comes complete with firewall installed with motor mount, plug in stabs, mounted wing and gear. It is truly an ARF, the only thing you need do is servo tray, pushrods and paint. Another one you didn't mention is Harold Sattlers Miss Candace. It's a Mustang type with a little different wing. Seems to fly great and is priced very well considering it comes painted. Of the ones you mentioned:

1. Pole Cat requires substantially more work than others and tank is dicey. The current record holder, Tom Scott, recently switched from the Dago to the Pole Cat. The Pole Cat has the gear mounted to the fuse instead of the wing which probably is a little stronger for those rough landings.
2. Dago has rep for being hard to land (I have no trouble with mine) and is old design but does hold current Q40 record. Is Lyle Larson's personal favorite.
3. Vendetta / Ashly more current design I believe has 2 wings (Lyle's) I would go with the Epler for 1st time Q40 if it's available. Probably the most flown design out there. Versions are manufactured by Lyle Larson, Rusty Van Baren and Tim Lawlor.

Any of the current planes will handle the Sport Jett 50 (I think it’s the same size as the Q40 Jett) without a problem. Keep in mind the tank limitations. The largest tank you could get in the Pole Cat and Sidewinder is 6oz. You could probable squeeze a larger tank in the Vendetta or Dago. I would recommend a bubble less tank in any case.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Barry
Old 03-14-2003, 06:25 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Which is Better?

The SJ 50 uses the OS 46 FX mounting bolt pattern which is a little larger that the Q-40 and Q-500 engines. The SF 50 is .11 wider across the engine, and effectively .050 from the thrust washer to the front bolt.

JETT offers a beam mount for the OS 46 FX pattern, and I'm not sure if is made so that you can swap out a Q-40 engine and mount with the 46 sized mount and engine. A quick call to JETT can answer that for you.

That said, the extra .055 on each side can probably be accommodated by most planes, but you probably want to ask the manufacturer how close the beam mount is the skin at the forward end of the beams. A little filing on the beam mount would probably do the trick, in any event.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Ed Smith

Default Which is Better?

If you are new to Pylon Racing and you intend to race I would suggest caution if buying a Q40 airplane to start with. The models you mentioned are intended for all out racing in the premier racing event in North America. Speeds, some claim. are approaching 200mph. These are not for the newcomer to racing even if some experience with fast models has already been gained.

If you just intend to stick whatever engine you have in one and scream around the sky then ignore the foregoing.

Ed S
Old 03-17-2003, 02:24 PM
kane

Default Which is Better?

Just a note on what was said about the Polecat:

The Polecat uses a 1 1/2" spinner rather than the 1 3/4 spinner which is used on all the others mentioned above (except the sidewinder). Because of this it is very tight up in the engine compartment. As Don mentioned It might be difficult to get the larger engine mount into the fuselage. I don't know, but I don't think it will fit. The current QM40 mounts are very near the sides of the fuselage.

Barry, what problems are you having with the tank installation??
Tom and I use the Jett CG tank installed forward (sorry Ed).

Dan
Old 03-17-2003, 09:45 PM
dave long

Default Which is Better?

Dan and Don,

Thanks for your questions and tips regarding a Jett SJ50 fitting in a Q40/ Q500 aircraft. Since the time I started this thread I have decided to purchase the Sidewinder from Jerry Small. I spoke to Dub Jett regarding the fit of his SJ50 in the Sidewinder. He said that the only modification is to elongate the engine mounting holes to accomidate correct hole allignment with the motor mount.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Ed Smith

Default Which is Better?

He said that the only modification is to elongate the engine mounting holes to accomidate correct hole allignment with the motor mount.
Does that mean you are going to butcher the engine with a Dremel tool? Please do not do that. Get the correct engine for the application. If you can afford to buy a composite Q40 why butcher an old engine to make it fit?

If you must I would suggest that you check to see if the case of the engine will fit between the mounting beams. If the holes have to be moved both ways you will have a mess on your hands.

Ed S