Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Viper fuse stress?? where is it??

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper fuse stress?? where is it??

Old 03-02-2002, 08:42 AM
raskco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper fuse stress?? where is it??

Can any one please tell me where the most stress is on a viper type plane. Would it be the tail section or where the wing mounts.???? And If I was to make my own pylon plane would a round fuse be faster then a square one??? Thanks... L8ER
Old 03-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Ed Smith

I cannot help you with the stress question. The viper and similar designs have been around for many years and, properly built, seem to hang together OK.

If you intend to race your own design in rule book events then a round fuselage is not allowed. A Quicky fuselage cross section has to be square or rectangular with max 1/4" corner rads.

Ed S
Old 03-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q500 Dimensions

Raskco, dimensions for a Q500 plane can be found at the AMA website,,, http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...k/rc-pylon.PDF
My answer for your stress question would be,,, the fuselage area just behind the firewall.

BV
Old 03-03-2002, 06:50 PM
raskco

thanks for the replies... I think I.m gonna put a thin layer of ply from the firewall to just behind the wing section.....
Old 03-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reinforcement to Fuse.

raskco;
When designing and building Q-500's I try to maintain strength as well as lightness.
If say I use 1/8th Balsa sides I use a piece of Fiberglass Drywall tape which has a light tack to it. This enable's me to run it 1/4" to the inside of the firwall all the way to the tailfeathers. With a very thin coat of 30-45 min Epoxy, this method can give you a very strong fuse. At the same time your constructing the fuse you can fuel proof the Tank area.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4551_88.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	3568