Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

V Tail [HOW?]

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Ronplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V Tail [HOW?]

I want to set up a V Tail and its the first time for me, the print says to set it up Zero incidence, how do you do this the easy way? you can email me or reply in the forum, thanks. [email protected]
Old 04-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Ed Smith

Default V Tail [HOW?]

Here is what I do.

I have some lines drawn on my work surface to represent the fuse centreline and the the wing and tail positions. The wing and tail lines are of course square to the fuse centreline.

You will need two incidence meters

The Vee tail is finished.

I mount the wing to the fuselage in it's final position. Saddle all potted, etc, etc.

I lay this assembly on the worksurface upside down. I block up the wing (keeping the wing parallel to the worksurface) until the wing incidence is zero with the rear of the fuselage sitting on the upside down Vee tail. The second incidence meter can now be put on the tail without the tail tipping over. Some extra shimming ma be required to get both meters to read zero.

So you now have the vee of the tail square to the wing and the incidence parrallel to the wing. there is one more adjustment to make. At this point the tail may not be aligned with the fuselage centre line. Giving you sort of big rudder offset. I measure from the T.E. of the wing to the hinge line of the elevator. I also have marks on my bench for this purpose. The tail is now true in all three axes.

I usually set it all up roughly before applying any glue. I use a slow setting epoxy to allow time for final adjustments when the actual gluing takes place.

Ed S
Old 04-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Ronplanes

Default vee tail

thanks so much it all makes sense now