Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Tettras Tank Set up: Confused need some hlep

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Tettras Tank Set up: Confused need some hlep

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tettras Tank Set up: Confused need some hlep

Hi Guys,

OK, I finally got a Tettras 4 oz. tank and the Jett Tanker. I had an awful time trying to learn to read Japanese (LOL). There are what looks like 3 lines in the instructions they are saying to connect up:

1. - The fuel line, inside the bladder with a short peice of fuel line attached to it (Approx 1")

2. - The Air Vent - Another line inside the bladder for venting the air out when fueling up.

3. - The Pressure line between the bladder and the case.

================================================

Now from what I read and correct me if I am wrong, for Q-500 we need to make the following connections.

1. - The fuel line, inside the bladder with a short peice of fuel line attached to it (Approx 1")

2. - The muffler pressure line should go to the inlet at the bottom of the tank which is the line between the bladder and the case.

Now are these the correct connections? I think so, but someone please verify. Thanks

As far as fueling procedure I am not 100% sure. If someone could explain the fueling procedure that would be great.

Thanks a bunch Ed

Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
BUDMAN27

Default RE: Tettras Tank Set up: Confused need some hlep

Sounds like your on the right track Ed. As for using the tanker its vary easy. Suck all the air out first by connecting the tanker to the fuel line that is going to your carb. Then put a clamp on the line so no air can get in while you fill the tanker with fuel by sucking in fuel to it. I put a filter on mine so when I connect it back up to the fuel line it will not have any trash in the fuel that is going in the airplane. After you fill the airplane tank clamp off the fuel line till you are ready to fly. That way you know you have not flooded the engine with fuel. Its going to take a few times till you get the hang of it but you will and if your like the rest of us tanker users you will never look back.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 AM
PylonDave

you don't want the second line inside the bladder. Just use 2 lines the one that connect to the carb and The Pressure line between the bladder and the case.you don't need the third one . no one uses three lines on this system.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Jim Duda

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28865.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	890713  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Ed Smith

With just a four ounce tank and the Jett syringe there is no need to disconnect the syringe during the fueling process. Half fill the syringe with fuel. Connect the syringe to the tank. Empty the bladder in the tank and immediately fill the tank. Then clip it off.

Ed S
Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Eeddie:

The Tettra tanks are great pylon tanks, seldom have any problems with them. I use them a lot with the bladder pulled out for sport flying when durability is needed. My problem with them is the added pressure you get from the rubber type bladder. Always seems to flood things when trying to start. A shot of fuel into the venturi helps starting, remove the clamp as the engine starts. Taks a while gto get this down. You should have a helper so you are not rushing to pull off the clamp and keep it running. Helps if you have a carb on the engne so you can start above idle rather than WFO as per Q-500 engines that have no throttle.

Also consider the Jett tank. Comes with all the fuel line you need, is a little more user friendly. The bladder is a special plastic material that tends to keep pressure uniform from startup to end as it creates much less pressure when full. The Jett tanks seem a little flimsy at first, in realiby they are tough. Keeping air out of the tank is important, don't want any air left in there when filling. Remember, you can always fill and then remove to trap any air in the tanker filler. Supprising how much air is left in there after sucking it out, clamping and then starting to fill. Always seems to get some air from the fuel line regardless. Suggest you read through the Jett web site, there is a lot of very usefull information there about almost anything regarding engines and fuel systems. EnJOY
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

First off: Thanks for all of the advice and input from all of you on this thread and some of the other threads I have started.

I have been playing around with the Tanker and the Tettras fuel tank with water like a little kid in a bathtub. I have found what is either the correct way to do it or just what seems to work for me, I am not quite sure which. Here's what I have found to work the best for me. What I do like about experimenting with it out of the airplane is that you can see everything very clearly.

*** "My Mad Method"

Part – I

1. I fill the "Tanker" up to the Jett powered logo with fuel (water).

2. I hold it vertical, with the fueling end up and the plunger end down and push the plunger up a bit to expel out, all of the remaining air in the "Tanker" until there’s no air left in the “Tanker”. (Like the doctor does with a syringe before he gives you a shot to get the air out.)

3. Apply a clamp to the "Tanker's" fuel line.

4. I connect the "Tanker's" fuel line up to the Tettras fuel tank (Carb fuel in line).

5. I hold the tanker vertically and withdraw (pull back the plunger) to remove all the air from the "Tettras" fuel tank. (This pulls air bubbles thru the fuel that is in the "Tanker").

6. While still holding the "Tanker" vertically, I then push the plunger in, to fill up the "Tettras" fuel tank with fuel (water).

7. I then "Clamp Off" the Carb fuel line and re-connect the fuel line back to the Carb (so there’s no possibility of flooding).

*** Fueling Process Completed...................

Now at this point I am done. However, since the fuel tank is out of the plane, it is easy to notice that there is a little bit of air still in the "Tettras" tank. The amount is equivalent an air bubble the size of your pinky nail. Sometimes a little bigger or sometimes a little smaller. Once in a while if I get lucky no air bubbles at all. (You can see I have been playing in the tub for a long time, border line prune material).

*** If I run the process one more time with a slight change, I can get all of the remaining air out of the “Tettras” fuel tank.

Part –II

*** Run the whole process thru one more time from step #2 to step #7.

Except, at step #5 -(instead of withdrawing the air from the “Tettras” fuel tank into the “Tanker” as the air bubbles pass thru the fuel)

You withdraw out all of the fuel you just loaded into the “Tettras” fuel tank including our small air bubble mix.

*** Continue now with the next step - #6

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++

Questions:

Also as for the matter of testing with water, I have a slight amount, a few drops or so of water in the fuel bag inside the case. With out disassembling the rubber stopper to drain, can I fill the bag/case with some regular fuel and shake it up a bit, and then withdraw the fuel and water mix and discard it?

Also is it safe to fill the bag with regular Isopropyl Alcohol?

================================================== =================

Thanks Again guys in advance for all of your help.

Maybe one day we will race together. I have my eyes on the NATS maybe for next year........WOW!!!!

Ed

Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
iflyg450

I know it maybe a bit of the subject, I just ordered on of these tanks. Other than the $30 gizmo that jett sells what other ways are their to fill this tank. Are their any medical items that will work. I have the 10oz tank

Thank You
Jason
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Ed Smith

I know it maybe a bit of the subject, I just ordered on of these tanks. Other than the $30 gizmo that jett sells what other ways are their to fill this tank. Are their any medical items that will work. I have the 10oz tank

Assemble the tank exactly as it shows on the box (Three line). It can then be filled with any hand or electric pump. Once the tank is filled the third line (Overflow) is plugged.

Ed s
Old 08-15-2008, 07:31 PM
iflyg450

GREAT Thank for the info!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig sells a 5 oz. syring - probably obtained from a medical distributor. I use it all the time over my Jett fueler, just because it is smaller and fits in my tool box.

Kurt
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

One rule that I've found to be true over the years is that it's worth the money to get good quality field equipment the FIRST time. Whether it's starters, ignitors, fuelers, etc, you'll only end up buying several pieces of junk in the long run when you could have spent less buying quality the first time.

Tim
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
djlyon

The Sig fueler works great. I use it for the very same reason Kurt does.

Denis