Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Testing a Tettras Fuel Tank:

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Testing a Tettras Fuel Tank:

Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with a new Tettras Fuel tank and a Jett Tanker which I just purchased. I have been practice fueling and de-fueling the set up to see how good it works and to get practice doing it for the up coming race season. OK, now that I have that under my belt, I have 2 questions.

Questions:

After my testing with water, I have a slight amount, a few drops or so of water in the fuel bag inside the case that I can't get out. With out disassembling the rubber stopper to drain out completely, can I fill the bag inside the case with some regular fuel and shake it up a bit, and then withdraw the fuel and water mix out and discard it?

Also is it safe to fill the bag with regular Isopropyl Alcohol instead of raw fuel to mix and discard? Is the rubber bag affected in anyway by Alcohol?

In an attempt to dilute the few drops of water into the Alcohol or raw fuel, remove it, and hopefully the rest of the microscopic amount of water / fuel mix evaporate over the next few weeks before the race season starts.

Thanks Again for all of your guidance and great help.

Ed
Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Testing a Tettras Fuel Tank:

You put water in it?? [:@] you should have just used fuel,,, put fuel in it hopefully the water will mix with the alcohol in the fuel and clean it out. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 AM
YUKONFLYR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Electriceddie - Glow fuel is mostly Methanol or simply Alcohol, with oil and Nitromethane. Glow fuel loves to absorb up water which makes it go bad. Your Tetra tank will not be harmed by alcohol as it was designed to hold it. Isopropyl Alcohol is rubbing alcohol and contains water. Not what you want in your fuel tank.

You could pay a visit to the hardware store and get straight 99.95% pure Methanol and flush the tank, fill, shake and then remove. Then repeat with the fuel. Or you could just flush it out with fuel and the water should be absorbed and then carried out.

Richard

Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,

Yea I thought so , it may sound silly but was a lot more fun spraying water around under pressure then fuel was all over the basement also a lot cheaper.

Thanks guys

Ed
Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eddie:

In the future, leave the fuel out of the tank after building it. Get a can of "Dust Off" or any other can of compressed air found at computer stores. Connect a fuel line to the plastic outlet, set in a body of water and check for leaks that way. The cans are not high pressure and will not damage the tank. The cans of air are also very good to take out to the field to clean off sand and dirt from around the engine in the event of a nose over in the dirt. Very convenient, many uses. ENJOY
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi rmenke,

Good way to test the tank for leaks, but thats not what I was doing. You see I never used one of these bladder type tanks and Tankers before. I was just getting in some practice on how to fuel it up using the clamps etc. to get as much air as possible out of the tank.

Ed