Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Help for a returning pylon racer

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Help for a returning pylon racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Phil Hughes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a returning pylon racer

Hello,
My name is Phil Hughes, used to race back in the late 1970's early 1980's in QM15 and a little F1. Well 3 kids came along and that killed racing until this year. Last one is finishing up in May and I want to get back into this and want to buy the right stuff from the start. I already ordered two Nelson LS Q-500 engines and a friend on mine gave me 2 new QM40 SS Nelson he bought right before the LS was announced. He also sold me his Larson Vendettas.

This is what I need to know, what props should I run on both and what are the numbers used in setting up the engines. I still have all of my old measuring gauges and was pretty good at setting up the engines.

Also what glow driver should I buy. Thanks fr your time guys, cant't wait the go around the poles again.

Phil
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help for a returning pylon racer

Everyone has there own settings for those motors, and there own preferences on props. You could easily get 20 different answers.

I ran all of my Nelson SS Q40 motors at 196/16 and primarily the APC 7.4x7.8. You gotta do a little testing and even measuring if you have a pitch gauge with these props. They can vary slightly from prop to prop. For starting, I'd suggest the 7.4x7.5 or 7.4x7.6 for the short strokes and go from there. I haven't played with the Nelson LS Quickie motor yet.

Theres really only two glow drivers I would consider. The yellow Radio South unit that Darrol Cady sells, or the RCATS glow driver. As to a special clip for those drivers, I think Darrol sells one, or you could use alligator clips. The newer glow plugs can bend if you are using a clip which could allow air to be sucked through. A few have gone back to alligator clips for just this reason.

Good luck, lots of helpful people in these forums to help with your questions.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
djlyon

He's fixed the plugs Dave. The new ones use a glass bead for support.

Denis
Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 AM
daven

I've heard they can still bend.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, are you one of the few that has gone back to alligator clips? I made up a set the other day. I've got a Deans type two-pin connector on the wire from my RS plug driver, also on the Globee Fireplug, and can swap several different styles of plug clip. I've got a barrel type for standard plugs, a "clothespin" type for Nelson type plugs, and alligator clips.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
daven

No I haven't switched, but if I have any issues in Florida in a few weeks, I will switch before the nats. Never much cared for the aligator clips, but I don't want to chance a bent stem.

I'm not a big fan of the the RC jacks that come with the RS unit, just another connection that can fail. I hard wired mine with solder and heat shrink to my clothespin type jack.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Phil Hughes

Thank you very much, I looke at the RCATS glow driver looks real nice I gues I will go that way. Like the idea of lithium ion batteries. I use them through work and have had great experiences with them over the last 5 years.

How do the AMA Q-500 fly these days. Last one I raced were Quick Vee III and were reavy nice. Took out the old F-1 today just for kicks to see if I could still go around the poles was a lot of fun. Real hard to find High nitro fuel though, had to run 30% instead of 50% like we used to.

OK on the the Q-500 set ups, what are good servos to use for 428?? If it matters, the wings are composite Vortex wings I bought at Lebanon PA, but my own fuselages and V-tails. The fuselages are Revolutions cut from templates and I changed the wing saddles.

If some who has raced the LS Nelson could offer prop suggestions I sure would appreciate the help.

Phil
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
daven

The Vortex wing with Rev fuse will fly very nice, you will like it. Keep the C.G. around 2 3/4-2 7/8" to start and move back from there

For 428 JR guys are predominately using 3121's on elevators and Aileron.
For 428 Futaba guys are either using older 3002's or newer digital 9650's on elevators and aileron.

Most of the available mini servos work fine on throttle.

The most used switch would most likely be the JR Heavy Duty Gold Deluxe switch.