Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

424 RACING IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

424 RACING IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 AM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 424 RACING IN SOUTH CAROLINA

MARK YOUR CALENDERS. APRIL 5TH, AT FIRETOWER FLYERS, EASLEY, SC. The sanction has been mailed to AMA.

Firetower Flyers will be hosting our next 424 and Club 40 pylon race.

The rules are simple. Any AMA legal 424 plane with a TT40 engine and 9X6 APC prop. 3 3/4 pounds minimum.

Club 40--LA Racer or Skyraider MKII TT40 engine and 9X6 APC prop.

Fuel will be supplied by the Hobby Connection, Easley SC.

Directions to our field can be found on www.firetowerflyers.com

Pre-registration will be required.( More on this later)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 424 RACING IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Thanks James. I look forward to it.[8D]
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
heliothiszea
My Feedback: (1)

James - It's down on my calendar . . . looking forward to it - Seth
Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
rcpilot32

Wow! What a great day today would have been for a race.

I am going to meet Dave Keats at the Firetower Flyers club today so we can play some. Others have been invited, but don't know if they will show up.

Mac's next race is on March 8th. I'm looking forward to it. People will be gunning for me since I won the last one. All in fun. If someone had beat me, then I would be working to beat him in the next race. That's racing. That's the fun of it.

Tomorrow is the Honea Path club meeting. We will be discussing the next possible date to schedule a race there.

It's been very quiet on RCU lately. Tell us what you are doing to get ready for the races.

As for me, I ordered a Seeker fuse kit from SuperT. No answers to my email. Does anyone know what is going on with them?
I have never had a Seeker and wanted to try one in 424.

James
Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

James,

You'll really like the Seeker, I built two for last season along with two Hurrikanes (all for 424) and the Seeker's are outstanding. I started with Dominators a few years ago, then flew Vipers and had a Racer ll along the way, the Seeker really grooves well and at least for me makes nailing the perfect takeoff almost routine. The kits are very nice too, I've been very happy with the wood quality in every kit I've ordered from Super T.

I sold one of my Hurrikanes & the Viper recently and ordered another Seeker fuselage as the Racer ll wing is the same airfoil so I will soon have 3 race ready Seekers. I got a confirmation email saying it was on the way, hang in there & I'm sure yours will arrive soon. With the 428 guys transitioning to the longstroke Jetts and Nelsons I'm going to look to pickup a used shortstroke Nelson on eb*y and just try it out on my remaining Hurrikane...just for fun

I was stationed at Charleston AFB for 5 years and then spent another 15 in the Charlotte area, just my luck there was very little if any racing in the area during that time and now it seems there's interest in both Carolinas and Georgia!

Scott
Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
rcpilot32

Thanks for the information Scott. Dave Keats and I had a good afternoon of flying. Temp was 60 and light winds. Tomorrow is supposed to be 63 with almost no wind. A potential new club member was watching us. He was amazed that a "trainer" could fly as good as mine. LA Racer and TT40. I get bored with just flying circles around myself. Low inverted, vertical snap rolls, spins, full runway length knife edge and anything else you want to do. Can't do those things with my quickie. This is the same plane I have been flying for a year and a half. The same plane I won with at Hodges race 2 weeks ago. It's also the same engine that was put on it when I assembled it.

The Hobby Connection now has the club 40 racers in stock. David Vinson told me that there is a lot of interest in the club 40 from customers. People have been spreading the word about us putting on races in the Greenville area. David, (owner of Hobby Connection), used to be my quicky racing team mate. He says now that racing is getting back in this area that he will put together a club 40 and race again. This is really good news.

I am currently working on getting outside help to help run the race in April. If I am successful, we will be able to run 3 classes. 424, club 40 and Q-25. More on this later.

James
Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
daven

Lotus, glad you like the plane. Just painted 3 seeker fuses today

I saw a Profi .40 Q500 motor on the Auction site at a good price, you may want to check it out. From what I've heard, the new Profi is very similar running to the SS quickies.

The Auction ends Sunday afternoon, may be worth looking into.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 PM
vicman

Some day I am going to have a Seeker too. I open the plan file about once a week to drool over.
James, it was a perfect day up here too. I took my new C-40 plane out for a maiden, flew some practice with my Predator, and had a ton of fun with my reedie racer Quick Shot (1/2a pylon). Man Americus is a long haul from here.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
dwbebens

Vicman;

Americus is a long way for me too, but those races are so good that I've never regretted going that far to race with those guys. Mac puts on a great race. I plan on going to the one in March. I've heard from Mac that they don't want us 424 pilots entering in Club 40 anymore, so I'll just race 424 and help during Club 40.

Doug Bebensee
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
vicman

I've heard from Mac that they don't want us 424 pilots entering in Club 40 anymore, so I'll just race 424 and help during Club 40.
Whats the deal there?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 AM
DonStegall

I have talked to Mac about the races in Americus.

The new guys that raced in Club 40 were not happy about racing experts like James and Doug.

Since they are running Club 40 and AMA 424, Mac wants guys to pick one or the other. The more experienced guys will be participating in 424. This leaves Club 40 for the newcomers and lesser experienced guys. It also makes it easier to put on the race as the 424 guys can work the course and help the Club 40 guys while Club 40 is being run. And the Club 40 guys can work the course while 424 is being run.

It really is a "happy problem". There is so much interest in Club 40 that a lot of new guys are joining in the fun.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
vicman

What does that do for a two class rookie like me?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
rcpilot32

Vic, you and others can still fly both classes at the firetower races. I now have it worked out to hire helpers so we may even be able to fly 3 different classes.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
memel

428 James????????
Luis M
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
rcpilot32

428 possible at the Honea Path club. We need to do one race there first before we do 428. We certainly have the room.

The next race there will be on May 10th. 424, club 40, and possibly quickie 25.

If this race goes well, then we will think about 428 and possibly 422. Lets take it one step at a time.

At least now we have 2 races scheduled in SC. I hope other clubs are thinking about hosting races.

James
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
rcpilot32

Let me tell everyone what happened to me today. I was running my MVVS .15 engine on my test stand. It was turning 18,500 just as I stuck my left index finger knuckle in the prop. An afternoon at the doctors office. 6 stitches. The doc said it was hard to sow up the place where the meat was missing.

I had become so relaxed with the TT40 carb with the slanted needle valve that I made the mistake on a straight needle. Be careful guys.

It should be well enougj to race at Hodges Hobbies March 8th.

Luis O, send me your email address.
James
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
lmotv1

Hey James, hope you get well soon, [email protected], going to Phoenix in week and a half. Hope to see you soon.
Get well,
Luis M.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
vicman

Dang! Thats gotta make you stand back for a moment.[:@]

Have a good time in PHX and bring home the metal Luis.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
rcpilot32

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been contacted by another club in my area about setting up poles for the club members to start flying around. They seem to be very interested in club 40. There is enough room for 3 pole racing. As I know more, I will post it.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM
vicman

Cmon James, Tell the best part about racing down there with you guys. The corner workers.[sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 AM
rcpilot32

Patience Vic. I will announce it soon. If it works out, it will be the first time in the south.

Hey Luis O, your email doesn't work.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:59 AM
rcpilot32

It has been quiet on this post for the last several days. Things are looking good for the next race at Firetower Flyers club.
I have made up flyers for the race. Sent out several on email. If anyone would like me to email them one, send me your request to
[email protected].

I have also made up a flyer explaining just what club 40 racing is all about. Left some at the Hobby Connection.

Our next race at Firetower Flyers will have a different addition. One will be a $10 increase in entry fees per class. Now it will be $25 per class. My reason for this is simple. The extra $10 per class will go to our hired helpers. If people race both classes, it doesn't leave enough contestants to work the course. Here is what I have come up with.

I contacted the athletic director at the local Wren high school about hiring high school kids. It appears that the cheerleaders will be helping us run the race. We will have to train them the morning of the race. The athletic director was very excited about us hiring the kids. I will also be contacting a different high school for the Honea Path race. If this works well, then our help problem will be solved.

I would gladly give $10 more not to have to work. This will also give the kids exposure to model aviation. Who knows, one of them might go on to fly a space shuttle.

I don't have to say that ALL of us need to be on our very best behavior. What they see from us will go back to the community. We will be known as a very nice group of guys, or a bunch of jerks. I prefer the nice guy part.

I announced this at our last club meeting. You should have seen the eyes on Travis Durham when I said cheerleaders. He is about 13 years old. Not sure of his age, but he had a big smile.

Don't forget about Mac's race on March 8th. www.hodgeshobbies.com .
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
rcpilot32

Has anyone been able to round up new Club 40 pilots for the races in SC/NC ?

Hodges Hobbies 424 and Club 40 race is this coming Saturday. As usual, it should be a good one.

This afternoon (Sunday) I am meeting an old friend to fly with that I have not seen in many years. Could be a potential new c-40 pilot.

James
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
vicman

Forget the kids smile...I had a decent grin on my face. I'm tires of seeing the same old unshaven grumpy dudes.

I made a delivery of a kit and engine to a new guy yesterday. I think we have two more from our club ready to go.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:57 AM
rcpilot32

OK "go fast, turn left", race guys. It's 2 weeks from race day.
Get the dust off those planes, test run and test fly.
Ask the wife for some extra money for gas to drive to Piedmont, SC. Race day is approaching.

As for me, I have 2 weekends to get my yard worked on. Fertilizer, fire ant spread, hedges trimmed. You know what I am talking about. But come Saturday April, 5th, only racing and putting on a good race will be on my mind.

The only way the race will be a success is with everyones help. I have to call the athletic director next week to finilize the hiring of my "HELPERS". This will be very different and I will need the cooperation of all the pilots for this to be successful.

In a couple of days, a race registration web link will be posted for pre-registration. Keep watching the posts.

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.