Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Matney Models Mad Dog Finishing

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
vman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Matney Models Mad Dog Finishing

I recently bought a Matney Models Mad Dog. Has anyone built this plane and have any construction photos to share or tips. I am new to fiberglass fuselages and would appreciate some pointers on the best way to do this.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Matney Models Mad Dog Finishing

I built one about 8 years ago, don't remember too many issues, with the glass fuse most of the work is done.

Have you ever built a V-tail before?

The designer posts occasionally, I'm sure he still has the instructions available.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
bigtrev@xtra.co.nz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the hardest thing on the MAD DOG- I have two of them- is inserting the blind nuts to hold the engine on- but thats easily handled by making up a seperate 6mm plywood plate to glue behind the wooden firewall- glue it in place with epoxy after you have installed the blind nuts. The bottom of the fuselage is good enough as a datum line, the castin firewall is by my 'spirit level' at right angles..............the wing saddle appear pretty right, and the moulded in VEE for the tailplane is OK. I 'spot glued' (cyano) the fuselage to my work bench and set everything up on that basis. If your bench is wide enough you can set up constant height blocks on either side of the rear of the fuselage say 300 mm apart and use those to glue your tailplane........I intentionally leave a flat portion on the tailplane solely for this reason. The next difficult(?) thing is the elevator horns- do some careful bending of the wire and attach/ solder or epoxy. metal ball joints or similar for DUBRO ball socket links-2-56. Basically a good model and the extra carbon/ kevlar does make for a strong front end.
The supplied undercarriage is good- tapered, run the taper as the leading edge of the u/c..........works ideal on our grass runways. Again use some blind nuts on the plywood plate, or use some small wood screws., and cyano the thread in the ply, but ensure that you cover the ends of the screws with a balsa plate, acts as a good seat then for your battery.
The only thing wrong with the model is that the fuselage could be made another 60 mm longer behind the tailplane. Trevor H
Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
vman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I built the Predator II several years ago. I assumed then the tail would be built right and just glued it on. It was close but not quite. I should have double checked everything.