Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Hodges Race

Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Alabama Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hodges Race

The next Hodges Hobbies race is this weekend, Saturday, May 10th.
brad
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
SCPYLONRACER

Default RE: Hodges Race

Greetings From Hodges Hobbies;

The race turned out good! The weather held and we had a good turnout in both classes. There were a lot of new pilots in the Club 40 class and they really had a good time. The times improved during the day as they became more comfortable with the course. Many were flying wide in the early rounds but had tightened their courses considerably by the end of the day.

The winners:

Club 40

1. Bill Davenport - Still basking in his glory but sure to become a target at the next race!
2. Steve Barker
3. Mike Wasden

Quickie

1. Bill Johanson
2. Keith Douglas
3. James Barr

Off to Joe Nall, take care...Mac
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to you and James, Bill!
How did Rutchka do?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Errrr... I came in second to last. My T-Tail Q500 got creamed in a mid-air in my third heat, DNF. After that, I used a buddy's back-up airplane that I had borrowed and brought with me to the race, but his tired TT .40 wouldn't turn over 15,300 without blowing the plug. That didn't help my chances any. I was a bit more cautious with the borrowed airplane, and at least made sure I didn't back into anyone on the course with it while getting lapped. I still had a good time and learned a lot from watching Bill, Keith and James. New Q500's are on the workbench now. Hope to see you guys at Lowe's Motor Speedway next!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Don Pruitt
My Feedback: (1)

I had a great time at my first attempt at Sport 40 racing even though I came in last. Now you get to listen to all my excuses.

Due to the cold/windy/rainy weather this Spring, I haven’t had much of a chance to fly this year and knock off the winter rust. I had about two flights on the SkyRaider a couple of weeks previous to trim it out.

Of course I was nervous for the first race and never having flown a pylon course before I wasn’t sure exactly where I should be pointing after rounding pylon one. I made a very wide turn and my wife later told me that my plane disappeared behind the roof of the shed. I had the same problem rounding pylon three and I probably scared some of the squirrels over by the pine trees. I managed to improve a little as the race progressed and I think that I finished in second place.

Race two was a little better and I knocked about thirty seconds off my total time from race one and again finished second.

Race three was like a Chinese Fire Drill. After starting my engine, I couldn’t get my twist on glow starter to release because the plug was loose. After I managed to get it off, I noticed that the plug was slowly backing out of the head. Before I could get the engine shut down it blew out the plug. I tried to pick it up and reinstall it but it was hot as a firecracker. By now everyone else was running and waiting for me to get started and this added to the pressure. I had a new plug, still in the blister pack, in my pocket so I grabbed it and got it started with my fingers. Now I do not have a plug wrench to tighten it down. Bummer! I used the glow starter to screw it in and managed to get the starter off without loosening it again. Now I am really trying to hurry so I don’t bother to check the needle setting, I just got up and hobbled back to the pilot’s area. (When you are pushing 70 years old you hobble, not run).

We started and just as I came around pylon one a big drop of sweat run down into my left eye. I wear glasses so it is not easy wipe it away. So now one eye is blurred and the other is starting to water because of the discomfort. I started to just pull up and get out of the way until my vision cleared, but I decided to soldier on. My vision started to clear a little and then I noticed that my engine was sagging; probably due to a lean run. My caller Mike said that I was not going to outrun anybody on this race and I should just practice making good tight turns. I did this until about lap seven when the first place plane was coming around to lap me. Between turns two and three we both tried to occupy the same airspace and scratch one SkyRaider.

I picked up another one from the hobby shop and I will be ready for the next race. It was fun; I just hope I don’t embarrass myself too bad on my next attempt.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough luck you guys!
Mike, LOL on going easy with a borrowed plane. I would've thought the model airplane good karma would have followed you.
Don, I hear ya on distractions. In our last Q25 race I had a bug trying to fornicate in my ear during the main.[X(]