Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q500 aileron torque rods

Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 AM
wkevinm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Q500 aileron torque rods

I am wondering what folks are using for your aileron torque rods.

I make a vacuum bagged foam, balsa & glass wing and use a .005" FG sheet for a skinned hinge. Other dimensions;
-wing center to aileron start 4"
-aileron length varies from 10"-12"
-aileron width varies 1.25" - 1.5"
- torque rods use collars on drive ends with 4-40" allen head cap screws

In the past I had used 1/8" music wire and extend the rod to the center of the aileron but in an attempt to reduce weight I have been reducing wire diameter. The last wing I used 3/32 and found the torque rods are not stiff enough and the ailerons are mushy on roll.

I saw pictures in a post somewhere of people using larger diameter(relative) hollow aluminum torque rods and am curious about sizes and experience with this as well attachment methods.

Kevin M
Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 AM
SSAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Q500 aileron torque rods

Kevin,

You can use the DU-BRO "Heavy Duty E/Z Adjust Strip Aileron Horn Set" cat no. 558. This is what we use for our Q-500 wood kits and has work wonders for the stiffness we were looking for. I would recommend that if you're looking for a nice and stiff aileron torque rods. See web link below for torque rods info!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD948&P=7

BTW... Wing center to ailerons should start at least 6-7 inches or more for most effective ailerons response. Depending on your airfoil design, 10-11 inches by 1.5" would be fine. Anything more is not necessary and may create fluttering at high speed if ailerons size are too long or too big. Just a thought!

Hope this helps.

Sam
Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
StanDouglas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use 1/8" welding rod. Which I copied from the Neme-Q. I thread the ends 6-32 to accept the large horn brackets. The rod is heavy, but my Q500's come out under 3 1/2 lbs. I would suggest you need to look elsewhere to save weight. The Quik-V (Jim Allen design) starts the aileron at 5" from the center.

Welding rod is relatively inexpensive. For bearings I use Dave Norman's method of epoxy and Crisco. You can see this method in his write up on the NMPRA.org website under Techniques/Skinned Hinges. While you're there take a look at the V-tail hinges by Bill Vargas.
[link=http://www.nmpra.org/Documents/Skinned-hinges/Hinges.htm]Skinned Hinges Minnesota Style[/link]

[link=http://www.nmpra.org/Documents/Skinned-hinges/Vargus/v-tail-hinges.html]V-Tail Skinned Hinges[/link]

Stan D.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 PM
AllanU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Kevin

1/8" weldable rod from Canadian Tire. Just bought 2- 3 foot lengths today for $1.99 each. I have done the crisco and epoxy thing but now use aluminum tubing. It adds next to nothing for weight. and seems to be alot smoother of an operation. I found that the epoxy seems to have a problem with thermal expansion and contraction greater than the steel rod leaving them stiff when cold. But it is never cold when we fly in Alberta.

I have done both methods for linkage. Bend to an angle and thread or leave them cut straight and use the wheel collar and 1-1/4 x 4/40" bolt. I now use the later since it will be easier to do the bagging with the mylar.

Aileron length 11 1/2" starting at 5" from center of wing. Aileron width 1-5/16"

AL