Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Hey Guys,

How would you guys feel about offering a day of testing, practice and help for all the 424 guys over the summer? We could set-up the polls, simulate races and help out all of you who have wanted to try it, but would like some one-on-one help outside of an actual race. We could assist in setting up your planes to race, test flying, engine tips, racing lines, racing theory and how to get organized so your race weekend will run smoothly. We could show how a matrix works, what a caller/spotter should do as well as what the pilot should be doing at the line. We can offer help on getting a good start, proper engine tuning and how to adjust from heat to heat by reading what your engine is telling you after a race. We will reveal EVERTHING at this workshop. ALL of our "Secrets" will be offered to everyone there.

If we do this, who can I count on to be there? I would plan on a Saturday, with the morning being set-up, tuning and learning those secrets & tips you always wanted to know, and the afternoon full of on the track learning 101. So, who wants to participate? If some of you 428 guys would like to come, test and help out our future world champions get off on the right foot, please post and let me know you would like to be a part too.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
PhilMill

Default RE: 424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Hey Scott,

Yup, you can count me in for the workshop....One guy at the field works every Saturday but has Sundays off. Not sure about the other 2.

Got a couple 428/422 guys that would like to attend but they also work on Saturdays....Off on Sundays...

So, in this instance, I can only speak for myself..I can be there.....whenever.....

Would like to set something up on a Sunday though. Then all our rookie racers and experts can be there....

Looking forward to racing against some big dawgs and see how I do...

BTW - Dick Zisa could probably make it too.....

Lemme know what ya come up with and let's crank em up..!!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Scorpion Racing

I actually work Monday thru Thursday, so Friday Saturday or Sunday are all fine for me. Lets aim for Sunday if that is a better day, and see where we end up. We will go with the majority.

Just in case anyone is wondering, this will take place at the Mulberry, Florida IRCC club field off of S.R. 60.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a cool idea!!!

I wonder how that would work out here in SOCal?

BV
Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Scorpion Racing

I think we should do this all over the US and get people back into pylon!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant

Hi Scott,

I will will make it for sure any day. I may also have another with me if I know the date soon enough for him to get the time off.

Dick Zisa
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
skull1971

Hey Scott, and Phil, this is a great idea! We've kinda been doing that here in Texas too, but more informal. A gentleman named Mike at a club in Houston has been helping people for some time with racing. I was lucky enough to get invited down, and after just one day he had me going around the pins, (the right way). So good luck and keep up the great work!!

For anyone in South Texas that need some pointers, or just a flying buddy that likes to race, instead of 3D, drop me a line. If I can help, I will.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

It works well if you allow people to bring planes that don't necessarily conform to the AMA event specific formulas. But it is good to have the AMA event airplanes there so that the newbies can see how much better the "real racers" do on the course.

A 424 plane on a buddy cord blows pilots (that are experienced enough to handle them) away.

I highly recommend that you allow Club 40 planes in your session ... see [link=http://www.Club40Racing.com]www.Club40Racing.com[/link]

I had a number of "Pylon Parties" at my field over the past couple of years and now I expect 15+ pilots at the race at Lowe's Motor Speedway this coming Saturday. It has been hard work but I'm excited about the upcoming events here as are others.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Scorpion Racing

I have no problem with guys running the club 40 planes, we would just have to station a guy at turn one to act as a turn light for us. I know it takes a 424 plane a while to get to pin 1, but I have no idea how much longer for a club 40 plane; I would assume about a second. What we do in 424 would transfer, as far as set-up and engine tuning, to either set of aircraft.

I see the help for people being a real key when going from sport type flying, to a timed team style of AMA Pylon racing. In 424 pylon racing, a good caller means a LOT. Training a team to relay the information that is needed, and how to work together as a team is key to sucess. Learning what not to do, what to look for, and how not to ruin what you got is very important. Setting up a 424 plane is different from a 428 in a lot of ways. The only way a guy can learn it is to try it and learn as he goes, or have a few vetrans willing to give it all up for the sport. We are willing to help anyone who wants to short cut the steep learning curve and give them what they need to be a threat within a couple of races. I want Pylon racing to be back in the presses, and for people to participate and see what a thrill it really is.

So come on in, well do all we can to put you on top of the curve.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
ckeene9
My Feedback: (-1)

This sounds interesting, I may be able to attend as a student!!!

By the way when is the fall race down there in Mulberry and what is the entry fee?

Christopher
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
dwbebens

Scott;

I think that's a great idea. This is the kind of thinking and attitude that will make a positive difference - - as long as they are followed up with the corresponding actions. Go for it. This is just one of many things that can improve pylon for all of us.

Since I've moved to Nashville, I've been involved in a similar thing. I call them "Pylon Clinics", but the concept is the same. I tailor my clinics to the pylon racing class that the locals are already flying or to those who are just thinking about adopting some class. I've gone to Huntsville AL to host a "clinic" directed toward a particular small electric pylon class they are starting-up there. Here in Nashville, my clinics are aimed at Club 40, as we have just started using this class to introduce pilots to pylon.. Most of the information though is general pylon information and tips directed to the new-to-pylon type pilot to get him up the learning curve as quickly as possible. If someone wanted me to do a 424 clinic directed toward novices, then I would be glad to do this. As it is now, we already race a 424-like class we call Q-400 (424 airframes with a less powerful engine). These local guys are very good pylon pilots, so I probably don't have anything to tell them that they don't already know!

Keep up the good work Scott.

Doug Bebensee
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM
PhilMill

Allrighty Scott, If we do this on Sunday (that's our normal race practice day anyway) , I can be there, My novice buddy Rob, and maybe 2 newbies.

I'd really like 2 of my really good racing buddies to be allowed to hang around with us too. They're 428/422 guys but they are racers too and would love to fly around the poles with us. Plus they have given me countless hours of help and support.....

Gee , racing is a blast and I don't wanna exclude anybody from having fun flying around the poles with us....

So set it up Scott, and count me and my buddies IN.......

Hey Dick, It was a lot of fun when we raced each other in Maryland! I'm ready to take you on again.....LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant

BRING IT ON
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Scorpion Racing

Phil & Dick, thanks for the support and we will make it happen. Bring all the people with you who are interested and we will hook them. They will never forget the first time they stand between the poles and see the planes up close and at speed! The 428 boys are welcome, they would be a great addition to the test. I am good with 422, 424, 428, FAI and even Club 40. If they are into racing, bring it on!

Eric & Bill, Thank you for wanting to help newbees get into pylon also. Change starts with action, and we could use some in our sport.

Don, you do lot for the sport, and I think club 40 has the potential to add to pylon. You are right on 2 pole being a little more confortable to a sport flier, but I know first hand Dick took to 3 pole real fast. Most pilots just need some little help from someone who has been there and a plan to help them suceed. I hope everyone knows I am just wanting to be that helping hand. Dick only got a fraction of what I am offering, and I know he will put the rest to the test against me (and Rick!) in September.

Doug, sure wish you and your sister were still here to chase us around! I have followed your exploits on the forums and I am glad you are still out there helping and having fun.

We have tinkered with a mid-summer race date in August, so maybe this test session can be dubded the "HeatStroke 500" instead! I will start making some plans and put some papers together for the session.

Thanks guys, I feel pylon has a bright future as long as people will take the time to make a difference in someone's life!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
TIA

Don's got it right.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Ken Erickson

Scott,

This is the way to get it done. You will get some who know they are interested in 120 mph racing!! And away you go.

We, who are promoting Club 40, are trying to get the sizzle of racing, though slower, to those who do not yet know that they want to race. It seems to be working in Texas, where several are "moving up". That was one of our goals when we started it there.

Your more direct approach will have even more sizzle You mention blowing them away by putting them on the buddy-box. Getting them to fly the planes is probably the most successful way. I applaud you and hope you have a very successful weekend. Keep us informed.

Ken Erickson
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 AM
skull1971

Thanks Scott, can I steal the "Heat Stroke" I'm CDing a Club 40 race here in south Texas on Aug 2. I'm sure it'll be right at 100 or so.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Scott,

Send me the dates ahead of time, when you finalize something. I'd be more than happy to make the trip over there to help out in any way. Maybe we could get some sponsor stuff..hats, shirts... Just some tid bits to give away to the new comers that actually show some interest. Maybe fly some of the faster stuff as well, show guys what the next levels of racing are.

Randy Bridge
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Scorpion Racing

Thanks Randy, I will send out an invite to all the SEMPRA guys once we have a date. I would love to have some of our central Florida guys (and S. Fl too!) participate in getting these guys started on the right foot. I would guess around the middle of August will be about the best timing since the next 3 races are mid month starting in September. Good luck at the nats! Tell the guys we will do this while you are up there, if you get a chance to. I am ok with testing any class, as long as we give the new guys what they need.

Eric, The Heat Stroke 500 is ALL yours buddy!

I get the feeling that this idea will work, so I will set the ball in motion. Keep the discussion going and lets see what we as as pylon racers (current and future) want to do.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Scorpion Racing

Sorry about missing your post the first time thru Chris, you are more than welcome to come out! Bring everyone interested and we will get you ready to race. The next Mulberry race is October, 11~12; Friday is open practice for all classes all day. The fees are $30 per race (Saturday & Sunday are each a race) or both days for $50. 428 is Saturday ($30) and 422 is Sunday ($30). 424 should get a couple more heats per day doing it this way, and a bad Saturday won't affect your chances of winning on Sunday. The neat thing about this format is you will alternate with 428 one day, and with 422 (Quarter 40) the next. You get to see a lot of action and can really learn a lot from the guys.

Hope to see you there!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Scorpion Racing

Just to let you guys know, Sunday August 24 will be the date of the Testing & 424 Workshop at Mulberry. We have the field all day, and I will get the poles up by 8;30. Special attention will be there for all 424 (or even aspiring club 40 guys coming over to 424!) as well as guys testing panes for faster classes. ALL PYLON RACERS ARE WELCOME.

I am preparing some documents for all the 424 guys, which will include set-up tips, flight trimming guides, engine set-ups, pilot/spotter duties and checklists, how to be set up in the pits and some theorys about going fast and some links for futher information. I have some documents on glow plugs and other goodies that may help you quite a bit. I would like to go over some of this as a group in the morning, and them we can tweek your airplanes, engines or set ups and test fly to get you ready. Rick and I will help you learn to call for the pilots, count down for the turns and get tighter on the course. We will fly till dinner time if you guys want too!

If anyone has any information they think may help out the new pilots, feel free to send it to me and I will work it into the program. I am happy give you credit, and that will actually show the new pilots that other racers are wlling to help them. I would love to see 424 double in size, and one day transfer over to 428 and 422.

Thanks guys, and we will see you there!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
ifly300l

Hey Scott!
What a great idea!
If you want, I can bring the course system up with me. We could just use the turnlights,so it would be easy to set up.
I would suggest allowing any fast plane instead of just legal pylon racers. We had a "run what you brung" race a few years back and it sparked some interest. We also have some spare 424 planes to bring that you can use.
Markham Park Pilots are sponsoring a race on September 20th & 21st. 422,428 & 424.
So mark your calander.
Jim Perdue
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Scorpion Racing

Thanks Jim, if you could bring the actual turn 1 box, that would be great! "Run what you brug" is fine, as long as you are there to put it on the course. There are a lot of planes with 40's on them (ugly sticks, 4*40, club 40 planes, trainers...) and we can put any of them on the course.

So the next few months in SEMPRA looks like:

August 24 - Mulberry, Fl.- Testing and Pylon workshop - "run what you brung" -Open to all-
Sept. 20 & 21 - Sunrise, Fl. - 422, 428 & 424 (Practice on 19th)
Oct. 11 & 12 - Mulberry, Fl. - 422, 428 & 424 (Practice on 10th)

This will be a good test session prior to Jim Purdue's race in September. Lets get the new guys out to play and give them a great head start in pylon.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
ckeene9

Looks good, going to pass this on to my spotter and see if we can make it down there for some testing and practice.

Christopher
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 PM
ckeene9

Count 2 of us in for the practice day and for the October race.
We may even try and come down for the Markham event too.

Christopher

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.