Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper Q500 with K&B engine

Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
mred33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Viper Q500 with K&B engine

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using a K&B 6.5 rear exhaust engine on the Viper and if that engine would fly the plane OK. It's the old Q500 engine, not the racing engine. I have the K&B 6.5 hanging around that has not been run very much and would like to try it. Also what kind of prop would you run on this engine? We used to run Prather's series 1 props, but I don't know anything about these new props. I have been out of flying for awhile and just getting back in again. Got a lot to learn on this new stuff. Thanks.
Ed
Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 AM
paof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Viper Q500 with K&B engine

FRONT OR REAR INTAKE?
THE K B IS A WONDERFULL ENGINE I HAVE ONE REAR INTAKE .
Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 AM
mred33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one I have now is the front intake. I used to have the rear intake too, but I was dumb enough to sell it quite awhile ago. The one I have now is the front intake rear exhaust. It's not really broken in good yet. I have not run it enough to brake it in yet, so it is still in good condition. I have a couple of the old Prather props laying around, but they are about 35 years old and I'm am not sure as I would trust them to run now without coming apart.

With the old props, we had a choice between the series 1 or 2 and they have no other markings on them like pitch, although they are 7 1/4" in diameter. With all the new props, I don't know which one I could run with this engine. I know I could try running a few, but that can run into some money trying them all just to find one prop that works good. I could use some help there. Thanks.

Ed
Old 07-12-2008, 02:52 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mred:

Shades of the 70's. K 7 B 40 was the engine of choice for years at that time, and yess, they moved along quite well in a Formula or similar, something in the 150's. Our speeds were sort of guesswork at the time except at the big races, tacks were a vibration thingy that was good for within 2-3,000, if it was a good one. Think I ran a 8.5 X 7 in a kit goldburg shoestring, ran with the rest just fine. A lot of years, nice to still enjoy the hoby.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 AM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have seen an O.S. 40 FP muffled powered viper go an it went very well, i would say the K&B 40 with a tuned pipe fitted would get the viper going very quick.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
mred33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What tuned pipe works with the K&B engine? The only pipe I ever got was a straight pipe for the racing 40, the Q500 has a round muffler with two outlets on it.
Ed