Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper aileron torque rod problem?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Viper aileron torque rod problem?

I'm putting together another Viper wing, I was already finished and just installing the pushrods when I noticed what seems to me a lot of slop in the torque rods. I can hold the pushrods and wiggle the ailerons pretty far, or hold the ailerons and move the torque rod back and forth in the slot ( I hope I explained this right!) So would the fix be to open the wing up next to the threaded part and run some epoxy/balloons in the slot to take up the slack? My other Viper wings are solid, no movement, this one you can move the aileron almost 1/8" (total) with no pushrod/servo movement.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Viper aileron torque rod problem?

This seem sot be a common problem in ARFs this year. The WM T-34s we race out here are having the same trouble.

My solution was to open up the wing where the rods come through the skin. I cut the tubes back 1/4" and then glued thin ply shims on either side of the rod and on top, so that it is boxed in with ply. I was afraid of epoxying the rods permanently to the wings.

I've talked to a couple other racers and they used epoxy on the rods like you are suggesting. I'd try to rub vasiline or something on the rods before I packed them with epoxy.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duane-RCU:

My most common problem with the WM- T34 is at the aileron portion of the torque rod not being glued in at the factory. I fix it by making a bunch of pin holes in the involved section and applying super thin CA. Have a older Direct Connection Tsunami on the workbench that has a large and long torque rod built into the wing, my # 5 through the years. Construction requires greasing or waxing the rod and filling the gap with 5 minute epoxie. Have hundreds of flights on the system with no problems over a lot of years. This is the most versitle airframe I have ever run into. Great 40 sized pattern bird. Very fast for its size, the bird to beat in our club's open class for many years. This one will loose 10" of wing span, retracts and a nice little Jett 60 LX. Should get the gangs attention. ENJOY
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found the problem. The plastic tube used for the rod is a bigger diameter than it needs to be, that's where all the slop is. I cut around 1/2" from the bend, greased up the rod (as best I could) used some 5 min epoxy w/balloons so it would set quicker and maybe not travel around and stick to the rod. I only did one side so far to test this out...
....Just went and checked it, PERFECT!!!! No slop, no drag from glue getting where it's not supposed to be. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
I had the same experience...fixed it as you did!
The Vipers are good planes but 3 things are bad! The weak fuselage at the rear, the badly made wheels that breaks at the first landing (hub center separating from the tire) and the aileron plastic tubing that doesn't match the piano wire inside.
When will Great Planes fix it????
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 PM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

even though i did the mods to re enforce the rear tail section that is a week spot for guys that can,t land these models without breaking off the rear, this type of model is a race class design that should only be flown by experienced pilots. far enough the wheels are just a press fitted bearing hub design but with some knowlage its a very easy fix so the hubs stay there permanetly thanks to some good CA Glue or you can buy top quality pylon wheels very cheap, all arf models come with crap wheels and the need for some beefing up of certain areas. as for the aileron torque rod play issue, there is no free play in mine from factory.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
Well I have been racing pylon since 1980 so I think I'm fairly good att landing...And yes ...I have been using tires from Dave Shadel too.
One of my friends crasched his newly built Viper powered by a Nelson LS some weeks ago.The fuselage broke in half just in front of the rear former.Earlier in the race he had lost his wheels (hub separating fromn the tires).

It's shame Great Planes couldn't fix these things! There must be thousands of fliers out there experiencing the same thing as we do!