Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

New Spektrum 5ch RX

Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Spektrum 5ch RX

Have any of you been trying the new Spektrum 5 ch receiver (AR500) in a quickee? The idea of a 60 dollar receiver is attractive, and we don't need more than 4 channels anyway.

Just wondering, it would make the cost of converting to 2.4G a little more tolerant.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Spektrum 5ch RX

I am using one in a viper...
The viper was my test bed plane. I range test at 45 paces, no issues, probably could go further but I did not feel like walking. I flew it real hi (approx. 300ft), fast, slow, and in all attitudes. No problems, no glitches.

I did have my first brownout situation....totally my fault, had a brownout on the previous flight and I did not heed the warning (low battery). Locked out during a deadstick landing, rcvr showed brownout (flashing lights).

Tore the fuse up, but everything else is fine. Just need to find a new fuse before the races Sunday...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I plan on 5 cell batteries to help with the brownout issues. I have some 350 mah NiCd 5 cell packs, used them yesterday in a race.

I also see that Sanyo has a small 600 MAH cell, I think it's KR600 or something like that. They're slightly larger than the old 270 packs, I think I'll look into them. Especially now that the weight requirement is up to 3 lbs 12 oz.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
You certainly don't need a 5cell pack.
I use 4 GP "Red" 850mAh NiMH cells (no soldering tabs). Which I solder together. These NiMH cells are made for small R/C cars and can deliver more juice than ordinary "green" GP NiMH cells.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14904.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1038591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82796.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1038592  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But the servos sure are quick on 6V..

Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These are the ones I'm looking into. Sanyo specs on the cell list an internal impedance of 9.5 milliohms, which is pretty low - good current capability.

Radical RC 600mah Sanyo NiCad 5-2/3AE cell 6v Flat RX Pack Radical RC 600mah Sanyo NiCad 5-2/3AE cell 6v Flat RX Pack

Sanyo KR-600 2/3AE. Lightest 5 cell standard capacity NiCad pack money can buy. Same notes as above. Weight 94.5g/3.33 oz.
SKU Number:RRC05N0600F

Price: $15.00
Connector:
Quantity:

I got the above info from the radical RC website. I've purchased from them before with good service.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
s-10promod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fizz, Sorry we didn't make it this race, Caller was sick all week.[:'(] Let me know how the 5ch rx's work. I've been looking at trying them in 424's, See you soon, Eddie
Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eddie - hope you and your caller can make the KCRC race on the 4th.

Right now I have two spektrum rx's, an AR7000 and an AR6200, but the idea of the 60 dollar receiver is tempting. I just ordered a handful of misc parts from Dub Jett, so I doubt if I buy another RX right away. Heck, I don't even have the two I have into planes yet.

You're using the AR7000, right?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, there is some talk about the reboot times. Word is that the 40ms reboot time is false, its more like 2-4 seconds.

btw-my lhs sells the ar500 for $45...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
s-10promod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We plan on making it,I have a few ar7000's and a bunch of ar6200's. Since they all went up in price I'm looking for a less expensive route!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
JRC
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

Oh, there is some talk about the reboot times. Word is that the 40ms reboot time is false, its more like 2-4 seconds.
I have just discovered this same "issue" - Spektrum claims that the AR500 is QuickConnect - but it is NOT very quick
testing this feature on a new AR7000 and it works as advertised - immediately sync back up and flashes the led to indicate
a voltage drop out - but the AR500 takes 4 to 5 seconds to link back up - pretty much the same as initial sync up
the led does flash however after this 4 to 5 second delay to indicate voltage drop out - this was verified on more than one
brand new AR500 and all behaved the same - hope that they can fix this firmware issue and provide the 40ms re sync up
would fell much safer knowing that a short voltage drop will not take 4 to 5 seconds to recover - by that time
it is probably "game over"
Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, but instead of waiting on them I went ahead and upgraded to the A123 VPX battery packs. No more worries
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wildnloose - my only worry about the A123 batteries - if you lose a single cell, you immediately drop below the pain threshold on the spektrum receiver voltage. With the 5 cell batteries, if you lose a single cell to a short, you still have over the threshold for the spektrum receiver. Almost all of the NiCd failures I've had over the years have been shorted cells.

something to think about, anyway.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 PM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just incase you feel safe with a 5 cell [6 volt ] pack and think if one of the 5 cells go bad , this does not allways mean your going to be safe to fly on 4 cells [ 4.8 ] volts. the method used in wiring up these packs is a combination of positive to negative and so on to form a series of battery cells like in this case 1.2 volts per cell multiplied by how many volts you want to end up with. now just imagine what happens to a say 5 cell pack where one cell breaks total internal contact ? its the same as cutting a wire anywhere on the outside pack wiring [ contact is broken ] if your handy with a soldering iron you can add wiring to these battery packs so every cell has its own positive to negative contact, this way whatever cell should break down you still have power . a few guys i know are now using small 7.4 volt lipo batteries with micro voltage regulators fitted, big bruce racing has these on his web site.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:21 AM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you lose a single cell, you immediately drop below the pain threshold on the spektrum receiver voltage
Apples and oranges, but I respect your concern. I did think about it and went with A123 (+ outweighed the -).

a few guys i know are now using small 7.4 volt lipo batteries with micro voltage regulators fitted
Go A123 and forget about the regulators...
Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 AM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

freeair, you are correct, it is possible for a battery to fail in such a manner that it won't make any difference HOW many cells you have. In my 30+ years of RC flying, the vast majority of failed NiCd cells I have ever had were shorted cells, not open. They still pass current, you typically just lose the 1.2 volts from that particular cell. That's not to say that open cells don't happen, it's just been my experience that the shorted cell is much more common.

There is no perfect battery. I'm old fashioned enough to prefer NiCd cells yet, I've had not so good luck with NiMh cells, and don't want to get into LiPo's and the required chargers, etc. I'm sure they work well for the folks that want to use them, I"m just not there yet. Heck, I just got a 2.4 GHz radio, haven't even put it in a plane yet!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 AM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

maybe you should use a 5 cell pack and if a cell should drop out you still have the required 4.8 volts of power, or if your model can handle 2 x 4 cell packs run the 2 in line.