Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper Fuselage Width

Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Steve J
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Viper Fuselage Width

Iā€™m tired of my Viper fuse. The firewall came out on the first landing. The fuse broke just in front of the tail on about the fourth flight. The fuse broke at the back edge of the hatch on about the sixth flight. Most of the flights in between were spent getting the tail incidence correct. I know these are not new problems but it is time to build a new fuse. So I started by using the old one as a pattern and came across an interesting problem; at no point in the fuse 2 7/8ā€ wide. Just behind the landing gear it is 2 13/16ā€. Is this common? I know this is close but by the rules, it is not legal.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Super Splatter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Viper Fuselage Width

yes it's common, I have a 'speed bump' on mine to get it to spec.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think anyone measures dimensions of an ARF for a 424 event... it is what it is. Dosn't surprise me that it dosn't quite meet specs... As heavy as the wing is... I assume it must be at least 1 3/16 thick!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve:

Great time to learn how to improve design and strength and save some bucks in the process. Amazing how much strength a 1/16th hard balsa or ply doubbler with add to a fuse. Good time to modify the tank area for more fuel etc. Charg, its just not that difficult. You may consider going back to a conventional tail design, still lots of them in current design use. ENJOY
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 AM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i am in the process of building a spare Viper , as far as the fuse goes i have used 1/8 th balsa sides with 1/16 inch balsa doublers from the nose back to the rear radio section, at the rear tail area i have used 1/64 th inch ply as a double to both inner sides. the front engine bulkhead is pinned with 4 x 1/8 th dia bamboo pieces plus all light glassed to this and the fuel tank bay back to the under carriage ply support. the fuselage seems to be quite strong and quite light and i am sure it will be better than the original build.