Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper Blows wing!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Viper Blows wing!

Well after about 40 or so flights and a couple of contests my Nelson powered Viper shed it's wing on sunday. I think the front mounts let go. I just mention this as I guess this is an area that should also be reinforced when preparing one of these for 428. The plane actually faired pretty well and is repairable. the fuse just broke in half at the gear mount. The firewall did not even come loose! I was able to shut the engine down as soon as it occurred though as i still had radio. That slowed it down a little!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Viper Blows wing!

They just say it's legal for 428 not strong enough. Heck mine is barely solid enough for 424!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
freeair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any and every ARF needs extra beefing up to certain areas without a doubt. when you look at the G.P. Viper it is a very suitable model for both 424 and 428 pylon class racing with a price tag much lower than the composite V-Tail Q500,s. i think its around 4 Vipers to 1 Slingshot and others in priceings. if you want a super tough Viper all you need to do is work on the fuselage abit more by beefing up the known week areas such as ; engine bulkhead / undercarriage mounting / wing holding blocks and bolts / rear tail section. the main wing plus v-tail is very strong and will handle any of the hotest race engines , i really cant see the point in purchasing a composite Q500 model due to there prices, atleast if you loose a Viper in racing you dont loose much in dollars cause as we know anything can happen in racing these craft.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Viper had been reinforced. I fiberglassed the entire fuse and all of the typical mods seen in the threads. I must not have done a good enough job with the front wing mounts though. This plane had been flown quite a bit with less than perfect landings.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What sort of weight are you guys getting with all that beefing up? I just got mine up with a mere TT46 and standard JR 539 servos with a standard 4 cell RX pack, the AUW is 4.2 lbs or thereabouts. That is over the 3.75 lbs limit right?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Scorpion Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 3.75 lb. weight is the minimum, not the maximum. However, all things being equal, the lighter plane will win every time. If you are using standard servos, you may want to go to minis with the same (or better) torque. The minis are about 1 oz. lighter per servo (3oz.). The next move would be a 350 NimH battery which weight about 1.2 oz. (2 oz. lighter than a 700 Ni cad). Those 2 things would save you 5oz. and put you right at the minimum weight for 424. I actually use 2 cell lipolys now, and use a 6volt regulator to increase the servos power and speed, as well as the light weight of the lipos allow me to carry more milliamps.

Good luck,
Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is spank on at 3.75#
Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really need to read teh FAI rules and not try to assume things from what I read here and there! Hahahahahaaa ... I thought it was like F3A, 11 lbs max! Okay ... I flew my Viper again and got the TT46 properly tuned, she is fast enough. I got her almost dialed in now and will start the Diet Program next.

Vicman ... show off! :P
Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 AM
BarryReade

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing

The 3.75 lb. weight is the minimum, not the maximum. However, all things being equal, the lighter plane will win every time. If you are using standard servos, you may want to go to minis with the same (or better) torque. The minis are about 1 oz. lighter per servo (3oz.). The next move would be a 350 NimH battery which weight about 1.2 oz. (2 oz. lighter than a 700 Ni cad). Those 2 things would save you 5oz. and put you right at the minimum weight for 424. I actually use 2 cell lipolys now, and use a 6volt regulator to increase the servos power and speed, as well as the light weight of the lipos allow me to carry more milliamps.

Good luck,
SC, what size mah lipos are you using? and is the regulator available commercially?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 AM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heavy and weak. It sounds like you should just buy the wing and build the fuselage from scratch.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Marauderer - I met a few F3A guys flying 2x2 planes with digital servos. They use 400 mAh lipo packs and they can get 4 flights on a charge. I think I am gonna change my RX pack. As for regulators you can get them from many places. I got some Hyperion ones and they work fine.

HighPlains ... I like ARFs ... hehehehee ...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Scorpion Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use 730 2 cell or 3 cell Thunder Power cells with a VR-3 regulator from 2dogrc. I use the VR-3 since you can just move a jumper to switch from 5v to 6v and it can handle up to 23 volts. I see a lot of guys using the voltage regulator from Horizon Hobbies, so I may get one of those to try in the future.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
BarryReade

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TIANci and SR thank youi for sharing your knowledge. I will check it out. I have been using a lot of Lipos in my electrics and I have been really impressed with their capabilities and charging.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah ... DualSky stuff are cheap and they work fine.