Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Next Q-500 Plane after a Viper, Is there one?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Next Q-500 Plane after a Viper, Is there one?

Hi Guys,

I have been flying for quite a while now. I got started in Q-500 back in the days of the Glen Spickler Quickee-500 planes. I bet only a handful of guys remember or know about the Spickler model that started it all – LOL. I decided to get back into racing last year in 2007 and had a good year this past year, in 2008. I have been racing Vipers with TT.40’s on them and they have served me well. I realize that I still need to hone my racing skills on the pylon course itself, but I was wondering what would be the next plane to graduate too. I guess I am looking for a little edge.

I have been looking over the V-Gun, Shot Gun, Neme-Q, Ninja, Slingshot, HurriKane, Seeker, Dawg Gone it and the Mad Dog, I see the cost really varies and the quality does as well. I am not quite up to speed with all of the different composite styles and wing constructions. I am not looking to break the bank either. But is there a plane out there that you more experienced, expert flyers would recommend for my next plane?

I figure that there are 3 components to going faster then the competitor. They may seem very basic, but I think they apply. I could elaborate more on my theory behind each area, but I think you get the basic idea.

1. – Engine Speed - Higher RPM –Engine turns faster, the faster you go!
2. – Plane Design – Better Design – Flies Faster and Flies Better, the faster you go!
3. – Flying Capability – Skills – Better they are, the more competitive you will be, the faster you go!

I am gradually working on all of these areas. At this point this winters project is number 2 - The plane. So if I have not bored everyone to death at this point I would love to hear some suggestions for my next plane.

Thanks in advance for all of your replies.

Ed
Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
sahartman21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Next Q-500 Plane after a Viper, Is there one?

Are you going to stay with the Thunder Tiger class (424)?

If you are going to stay with the 424 class the wing and tail surfaces can't be composite. This keeps the price of the kit to less than $200.

Once you go to the Jett and Nelson engines the class changes to 428. It appears that the majority of modelers fly composite models in that class. The main advantage for composite is you get a good strong uniform wing almost every time.

The high wing V tailed model is likely to be the faster better tracking design. If you fly the 424 class there won't be much difference in speed between different kits.

I like a kit with a fiberglass fuselage. The fuselage is less likely to break during a bad landing than a wood design. I like my fiberglass and foam version of the "Dawg Gone It". It is not listed on the web site. Kevin was selling a kit for under $100. There is a full construction thread on the NMPRA site.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 PM
marcus1899

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed,

If your looking at the shotgun, v-gun, ninja, neme-Q etc, then you must be looking at a 428 airplane because these are all only offered in that configuration. The Vortex is also available in this class of airplanes, and it's in the same price range as these airplanes and it's performance and championships speek for itself.

I do disagree with what Sahartman21 said about the wood fuse compared to the fiberglass fuse, you will find that the wood fuse is a much stronger fuse and therefore less twisting in the turns which will add up to more speed in the end. If you come from this game that far back, I wouldn't be too worried about breaking the airplane on landing, you evidently have plenty of flying and landing experience.

There are several 424 airplane's that are available also for under $200 dollars if that is what your looking for, you can read some of the other area's of the forum to see that for just a few more bucks than a viper, you can improve the quality of your aircraft tremendously.

So it depends on exactly what your trying to accomplish, but I don't think the shotgun, v-gun, ninja and neme-q are available in the 424 configuration, but the hurrikane, seeker and vortex are. The vortex 424 can also be used with 428 if you wanted to graduate slowly.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,

Thanks for such a quick response.

I think the issue is right now I am in standard 424 do to my lap times. I am running in the high 1;20's to low 1:30's and for the last 3 times out I took 1st place and the last time out a Fast time as well. I ended up in "2nd Place" overall and "Fast Time" for the year. I understand that if my times start getting under 1:26 consistently I will end up in the expert class. Now of course I will get swamped, for some of these guys are really good with times under 1:20. Now if thats the road I end up taking I will need every advantage possible. So thats why I started thinking about a better plane. However I will still be in 424 class. I think I will re-visit the Hurrikane , Seeker and the Vortex. I have heard a lot about the Vortex as well and I like the idea that its also 428 competitive.

Thanks again guys.

Ed