Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Joe Bridi Gyro build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
ischroth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Bridi Gyro build

Well, I've studied the plans and decided to start glueing this plane together. I don't have a useable instruction manual, but hopefully if I get stuck someone here can chime in with the answers.
Well, I started with the fuse. I got the former locations marked and glued along with the triangle pieces. Next, I glued my thumb to one of the fuse sides. I am surprised I got this far without losing some skin. The fuse sides are joined and true. Next comes the L.G. blocks and wing saddle pieces. Here are a couple of pics.
Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15945.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1079638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94791.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1079639  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Joe Bridi Gyro build

You're doing a nice job! Thin CA is treacherous, [if that's what you're using]. It soaks away from the glue joints, too. Hard to imagine this hobby without it.
Looks like you picked out a project that will reward you with some good experiences and memories.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
mikegordon10

If you haven't glued yourself to your work at one point or another then you ain't using enough CA! Looks good I built one about 10 years ago. Have fun.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I sometimes wrap a paper towel around a bottle of thin CA it tape there...that is where I usually get stuck, from the dribble on the bottle.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
ischroth

Well, I got some more work done on the plane last night. I got the landing gear blocks in and drilled. The firewall is on along with the triangle stock on it and the 2nd former. I also built the tail feathers. I am going to sheet some of the top of the fuse, but leave the rest open until I figure out where to mount the servo rails for the ele., rudder and throttle.
I'm using CA for the joints that won't have heavy loads and 30 min epoxy for the ones that will. I.E. firewall, l.g. blocks. I also used some aliphitic resin glue on a couple of the tail feather joints. I like using this stuff sometimes just for sentimental value. I built many a stick and tissue plane in my room as a kid using this stuff and it's always good to go back to your roots every now and then.
I hope everyone here had a good Thanksgiving Day.
Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75601.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1081589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79013.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1081590  
Old 11-30-2008, 07:07 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Looks good Ian, nothing wrong with yellow wood glue.