Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Out of the ashes of WinterFest

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Out of the ashes of WinterFest

Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
PylonDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of the ashes of WinterFest

Well i lost a 428 plane and a 424 plane at winterfest last week ,so i am building again. I scrounged a mostly good Vortex wing with left wing tip damage from Mike Helsel and another Vortex wing from either Mike or Dub with right side damage. I put the two together to make one good wing!! It will take about 1 oz of right side wing tip wieght to laterally balance the wing but since most quickies need a little left tip weight anyway i think i should be ok. The wing weighs 16.6 OZ. with out the servo ready to be repainted. Here are some pics to show the repair.

Attached Images        
Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Out of the ashes of WinterFest

Please post larger pics to see what you did for the repair.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
PylonDave

lets see how these look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29465.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1119648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47294.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1119649  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks better. But a little bit of the hows you did it would be nice
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
PylonDave

I started by drawing a line on the inner wing where i wanted to cut it. I cut the wing skin with a exacto knife, and then cut though the trailing edge and spar with a scroll saw. I then stood the wing up on the trailing edge and then took the outer tip panel and placed it on its trailing edge and used the inner panel that i allready cut to draw a line on the outer panel. I then cut the outer panel same way i did the inner. That gave me a pretty good place to where i could do a little sanding here and there and get it to mate pretty well . It wasn't a perfect fit , but good enough. I then added the spars to the inner panel and the 1/16 balsa skin joiners on the under side of the skin ( i used ca for this ) sticking out so they would slip under the outer skin wing panel. which is shown in the larger picture I uploaded. i then trial fit it and lined it up by putting it in an old foam wing chuck making sure the trailing edge was straght against a fence. I also sighted the leading and trailing edges to make sure they were straight and finally put two incedence meters on both halves to make sure they were the same degrees.

I them mixed some 30 minuete epoxy and glued it altogether. I then mixed some epoxy and micro balloons and filled in the gaps and then sanded and used that red spot putty to touch it up and then primed it.

Hope this makes sense!!