Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Quickie500.com

Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Quickie500.com

I registered www.Quickie500.com a while back and had created a shell site.

This talk about older Quickies got me ready to work on it, plus I'm getting ready to get a lot of Quickie information online as part of the www.PylonWorld.com update.

So I created a page for the Spickler Quickie at [link]http://www.quickie500.com/Plans_Spickler.aspx[/link] and I'm going to try to get more plans for Quickies from the past and get them online. Maybe I can get Mr. Dible or others to entrust me with some of there treasures for a short time, or maybe they can get copies to me.

Plus I will be getting current plans and kit information online.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 AM
DonStegall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Quickie500.com

A new plan has been added to www.Quickie500.com

The Katz Meow by Jim Katz is on the [link]http://www.quickie500.com/Plans_KatzMeow.aspx[/link] page.

It is a preliminary plan, but the outlines are what are in use. Some of the internal details have changed slightly.

The lines from the CAD drawing are kind of thin, so if you open the PDF file, you will need to zoom in some to see the lines a little better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66978.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1132089  
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting. Jim has always been an early adapter. I would bet dollars to donuts that the design was done within a few days after he read his April 1998 issue of Model Aviation, pg. 93, which you can look up on the AMA digital archive.

That's a great name for the model, which is the difficult part of any design.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
DonStegall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,

That very well may be.

Jim often mentions your name and the long wings concept. He talks about "guys that were thinking" and says you were the man behind the long wings.

He also credits my Dad a lot because he spent many hours at our shop learning mold and fuselage making.

Jim is a great guy. He is giving back to the community and is doing a great job of doing that. He has really helped to inspire new guys in this area.

Now I've got a lot of great people to learn from.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very interesting read Mr. D.
Here I thought Jim was such a clever guy. Now I am finding the man behind the curtain.

What issue had the prop info you promised?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish more people could have seen Jim's two de Havilland racers that he took to the Nats in '89. They carved the turns like a rapier sword. While I had been flying high aspect wings for almost two years to that point, it was the first time I ever watched one from the outside. His wings tapered down to where they were paper thin, I never did figure out how he built the wings. Unfortunately for me, after Jim showed the pylon that wingspan was the secret, everyone in the states jumped in. But it was a great two years till they did.

Still, it had to be a surprise to the world the following year, when our FAI team went 1,2,3,4.

Vic, I never wrote the next article. DHG was (is) a much better writter, he got the gig.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been priveleged enough to have seen both Jim's and Mike L's Red white and blue specials. Both of those guys have been very kind to me in answering a ton of my goofy questions even when I notice something they didn't intend for me to see.
In my humble opinion Jim is one of the true ambassadors of RC modeling and a success story of how little airplanes can impact someones life.

Did you ever write the article on props? pm me if you did.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
DonStegall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Added the plans for the Seeker in PDF and DXF formats at [link]http://www.quickie500.com/Plans_Seeker.aspx[/link]

Here's a picture of the Seeker kit and a picture of Dave from his 3rd place finish at the 2008 NATS with his Seeker.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50302.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1135082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56503.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1135083  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
GSJames

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DonStegall I'm going to try to get more plans for Quickies from the past and get them online.
I found my plans for the Bridi Quickest 500. They are a bit yellowed since they are Ozalid blue-line prints, and they have some pencil lines on them, but I'll try to clean them up and send a copy to Don Stegall so that he can post them on the new website.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
DonStegall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Gary.

They are now online at [link=http://www.quickie500.com/Plans_Quickest500.aspx]Bridi Quickest 500[/link]
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
DonStegall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I normally put a little commentary about planes.

As I have no knowledge of the Quickest 500 I didn't write anything.

Looking at the plans it looks like maybe this was a "Calzona" plane as it is wider than a Quickie and it has a wing that is only 1 1/8" thick. And it shows a rear exhaust engine.

If somebody wants to write up a little snippet, I'll be glad to add it. Or photos of a plane and/or the box.

My left eye is messed up from my contacts and my work is limited tonight. So I have a little time. I can't see well enough to do a lay-up.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don...

Back in summer of 2008, I made mention here of laser cutting a few Quickie airplanes off the Spickler plans that I got. Added in the special rules they had at the time to a plan, and essentially got zero results. The cost of raw wood then made the overall price to a kit high, which essentially scared many folks off I think.

The aircraft is not particulary fast when compared to today's and even at that the foamies being made can fly circles around it. The rules said you were limited to a K&B engine, and esentially no modifications. I can easily see flying a pre-fabbed and modern (and faster) model today.

I am off on even older aircraft now, of the early 1960's and will fly these record setters for awhile. And then go on to something different yet.

Wm.