Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Q-500 Sheeted wings and foam cores for sale

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q-500 Sheeted wings and foam cores for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Q-500 Sheeted wings and foam cores for sale

Here is the link to the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE4dUTO_gQ4]Sheeting a Quickie Wing - Part 3[/link]

Part 3 is attaching the top skin and putting the wing in the vacuum bag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE4dUTO_gQ4[/youtube]
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
DonStegall

I did this video for several reasons:

1) To show my particular techniques to guys who may be starting to do their own. My way of doing it certainly isn't the only or best way. It is what works for me. I get a lot of questions and a video tells the story better than words and pictures.

2) To provide confidence to my customers that I follow a specific procedure. My methods are totally repeatable. Every wing comes out effectively the same. I don't miss steps because I have a solid routine.

3) To show the value in what you get when you order a wing from me. This is the simplest wing I do. And it still takes 2+ hours to prep the skins, cut the carbon fiber, the plywood, the fiberglass, the tow, etc, and do the work. Plus I have to stock the materials and pay for the shipping and estimate how much material to keep on hand.

This isn't rocket science. But rolling out the epoxy and the fiberglass cloth is relatively labor intensive. And you have to block out at least 2 hours to do the work for a single wing.

Hopefully this is of some value to some of you.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM
luv to race

I have a question... concerning the fiberglass on the entire sheeting panel. I've never seen that done before. It seems like extra work, or more labor intensive? you bag that skin and wait for it to dry? or lay it on the cores wet? and is that for strength or some other reason? I see you put the glass part of the skins againts the foam.. so assume I was assuming it's a strength thing?

We used to add the multi-layer glass enforcement to the underneath side as well, but only in the middle of the wing...never full length. Then layed the 1" wide carbon strip top and bottom. We never blew up any wings at a 165mph...

just curious.

Randy
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
DonStegall

Randy,

Try it from the YouTube site via the link instead of the embedded videos. You can full-screen them that way too.

I do explain it in the video to a degree. The fiberglass is between the sheeting and the foam. It is for strength. I'm using contest balsa and the glass adds a tremendous amount of strength to the wing for only about 3/4 of an ounce of additional weight. I don't use any additional epoxy because of the fiberglass cloth.

The wings are MUCH more rigid with the cloth. They don't twist and they don't warp. Originally I was just doing the center section. But I found I could do the whole wing and not add much weight at all.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
luv to race

I got it working... PC is just slow right now..LOL..no idea why.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:15 AM
DonStegall

Randy,

Putting cloth on the outside would not work because you have to sand the slight bump out from the carbon fiber laminate and you have to sand the trailing edge. Make sure you watch the video with the sound on as I talk a lot during the videos.

Originally I was just adding 18" of 3/4 ounce in the middle. Then when I started doing the SuperT wings I started doing 18" overlapped a couple of inches. So I had almost 36" anyway. I just went ahead and did the full length because it is easier and it doesn't add but about 3/4 ounce to do the entire wing. And it is actually easier to just do the entire wing that just parts of it. Easier from a procedural standpoint. Not easier from a labor standpoint. It does wear on the arm.

The Super wing that SuperT sells as the 424 wing really is very strong. It has 1/8"x1/4" basswood spars top and bottom under the carbon fiber laminate vertically. So with the cloth, they are very strong. With glass on the outside, I'm pretty sure they will hold up to 428.

My Extreme wing has a 1/4" full depth end-grain spar capped with .014 laminate between the 1" laminate on the skins. It is so stiff that it has no flex at all. I'm sure it is just as strong as the conposite wings when glassed on the outside.

CST had .6 ounce cloth in 50" wide on sale and I bought a bunch, so I have switched from .75 ounce to .6 ounce.

I may make another video of a Super wing with the spars and carbon fiber leading edge if anyone wants to see that.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Don,

When you say end grain, do you mean that the grain runs vertically or horizontally?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM
DonStegall

The grain runs vertically. Like you would do for a shear web. The spar is capped with 0.014" unidirectional carbon fiber laminate on top and bottom and put into a press.

Here is a picture of a spar that needs to be sanded on one side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68790.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1229041  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM
ChrisAttebery

Thanks Don!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 PM
BernieV

Don,

Nice job on the videos. Thanks for your efforts. I would like to see the video of your super wing.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
DonStegall

Bernie,

Thanks.

When I do the Super wing video, I will probably make it an abbreviated version of this video assuming that the viewer has watched this series. And include the details of the parts that are different for the Super wing. It will be after the 7/11 race at www.LowesRC.com because I have a ton of work and I have to get ready for the race.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 AM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

Randy,

Putting cloth on the outside would not work because you have to sand the slight bump out from the carbon fiber laminate and you have to sand the trailing edge. Make sure you watch the video with the sound on as I talk a lot during the videos.

Randy,

Just to clarify, I do recommend that guys still glass at least the center section of the wing, that they get from me, top and bottom on the outside. And the entire wing for 428. If you glass the entire wing on the outside, you wind up with skins that are almost like composite wing skins in that they have glass inside and out. And they are strong.

With the Super wing you wind up with T beams top and bottom, and with the Extreme wing you get an I beam. The Extreme wing is fully 428 compatible as it has no flex without an "extreme" load.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
ChrisAttebery

Hey Don,

One more question. How thick is the 1/2" strip of ply on the trailing edge?

TIA,

Chris
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Chris- I got some supplys from Don for sheeting his foam wings, and he sent me 1/64" for the ail stiffener. Randy
Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
DonStegall

I'm working in Raleigh which is 3 hours from home. I can't commute every day. Wing orders require that I make more than just what I can make on the weekends. So I have set up a shop in a mini-warehouse near RDU airport.

These photos aren't great as they were taken with my cell phone. But you can see how I set up the work stations.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40371.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1301473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59817.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1301474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77295.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1301475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32763.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1301476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50037.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1301477  
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Man... that is way too tidy!!! If you could only see the disaster I call a shop. Good setup. Is that a mini-warehouse/storage facility? Good work!

Only thing that shop needs is some AC/DC posters!

messy shop dan
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
DonStegall

Dan,

It is a storage facility that caters to people that also work in their units. The building I am in has removable walls and heat and air conditioning. Not controllable on a per unit basis, but they keep it between 60 and 80 degrees. Usually around 70.

They had a 15’ x 15’, but I let it get away before I made the commitment. Then they had two 10’ x 18’ units side by side. So they took down a wall and made me a 20’ x 18’. And they added power outlets. The units have pull down doors, but they have walls with swinging doors behind them. I changed out the door knobs with locking units for extra security and for my safety while I’m in the space.

I found the space by searching for “mini warehouse” in the yellow pages. A couple of guys could share a space like this if they don’t have space where they live.

The job market in Charlotte, NC is terrible because of Bank of America and Wachovia. I had been getting interview requests in Raleigh and Greensboro, but I didn’t want to work away from home. But the right opportunity came along and the economy drove the decision.

People need sheeted wings. And kits. I didn’t want to stop making stuff just because of being away from home. It has been a challenge, but now I have a shop that can be moved if and when needed. I’ve already made some changes since these pictures were made. I added a table by the pole for wetting out the skins. Over in the corner I was casting a shadow on the work I was doing.

Yeah, I need some stuff on the walls. I had started putting photos of some of my covering jobs up in my shop at home because of shipping everything out and not having anything to remember what I have done. I will have to print some more photos and some photos from here to put up on the walls. Maybe get some stuff from Facebook. I like putting faces with the names.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
jprge C.

Hello,
Are you still doing wings? I sent a few emails with no reply. When I email Don back in Feb he mentioned he was a little behind. Does anyone else have a source for wings built or cores?

Thank you
Jorge
Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
DonStegall

I'm not doing wings or anything anymore. I am shutting down the store web sites as soon as I can. My eyes and diabetes are making it impossible to continue in modeling right now.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
GSJames

Don:

Thanks for all the good things that you have done to promote pylon racing. I hope that you health improves and that you can return to modeling very soon.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, please check your email.

tnx, BV