Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Building the Smasher for 424

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Building the Smasher for 424

A number of Smashers are arriving on peoples porches. I don't have instructions yet, and I've been asked to do threads on constructing a Smasher in various configurations.

I'm going to use this thread for the common elements like the wing and fuselage preparation. I will do break-out threads for the different tail options so things don't get tangled up.

Feel free to ask questions. Hecklers and troublemakers will be reported to the moderators. So read and particpate peacefully if you want, otherwise don't visit.

I am still busy producing cores, sheeted wings, fuselages, and ready to paint planes. But I need to do these threads so that people get on the right track and to develop my instructions.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Building the Smasher for 424

I have plans to fly my Smasher tomorrow afternoon after work. I will give a flight report tomorrow night.

James
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got home with a big smile on my face. My Smasher is possibly one of the smoothest flying Q-500 racers I have ever flown. It looks fast but since I was the only one flying, it's hard to say. First flight, I had to add just small amounts of trim. Within a minute of my first flight, I was banking and yanking.

I set my CG at 3.0 inches. Put the battery in front of the servos.

It is really nice to have a racer that I don't have to fight. The wind was blowing 10 to 15. No bouncing of the plane. I can definately say that I want another one to back this one up.

James
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

James,

Obviously I'm thrilled you had such a successful first outing. And I REALLY appreciate the follow-up email. I have a REALLY BIG SMILE on my face.

All of the ones I tested were good except for the one with the airfoiled wood and foam tail that I messed something up on. I'll have to try to make one of those again in the future ... Maybe.

Here are a couple of photos of the conventional tail design. Same fuselage, just a different tail. I was going to take the points off on the new plans, but I think it's part of the "Smasher Style" so I'm going to leave them on. People can always just cut them off if they don't want to build with them. Or change the tips shape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64695.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1160774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25385.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1160775