Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Why Do They Call It Quickie 500?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why Do They Call It Quickie 500?

Guys, I decided to put the fuselage together on the Spickler Quickie 500 prototype kit tonight to make sure everything fits OK brfore ordering. Well all went together great. I have had a few people ask me why it was called a Quickie 500. Well for one it went together fast! Here is a picture of the fuselage I built tonight. I clocked myself just to see how fast the build would go. Here is exactly 1 hour's work with CA and 5 minute epoxy!!! This is one reason they were called Quickie 500!!

John Gibson tells the story of a guy who crashed during the Saturday race. Retired to the hotel room that evening with CA, 5 minute epoxy and some monocote and was test flying his new racer the next morning before the race!! Now that's quick. Anymore good Quickie stories out there?

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81080.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1161552  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why Do They Call It Quickie 500?

Hi Bob,

They call it Quickee 500, Q-500 for short because of the wing area, which is 500sq. inches. I also started with the original quickee 500 made by Glen Spickler many years ago when Glen had made them first, about 1972 roughly give or take a year or two. They were the only one of their kind, but then over the years other quickee's started to show up. There are AMA rules also that govern all of the dimensions of the aircraft as well. These days their are over 25 different models that meet the requirements. Some local clubs that race, have adapted some local changes, like engine size. The norm for 424 which is the AMA racing class number is basically 500sq. inch wingspan, APC-9x6 prop and a Thunder Tiger engine with stock muffler. Then there is also the 428 class which is almost the same but with some structural changes and stronger engines, Nelson and Jett. The cost also goes up, but I guess thats a gimme like everything else.

Good Luck and Turn Left...................

Ed
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, I started racing the Spickler Quickie 500 also in the early 70's. K&B .40 8011 and Semco muffler. I had an old EK radio in mine. Many of these younger guys don't know the history. It had to be a stock Quickie 500 with no changes. The tail surfaces are 1/4 balsa and you were only allowed to radius the edges no sharpening. We were allowed to play with the wooded props but that was the only mods you could do. Boy that was a long time ago!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 AM
j.gibson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That guy was the "one and only" Mike Klutz.And he has done that more than once!
If I'm not mistaken, I think Greg Doe has done it as well. Greg has done some pretty impressive
overnight repairs to. Q-500's, F1's and 1/4 Midgets turned to splinters on Sat.returned from the hotel
on Sunday morning as "ugly winners".

john g.