Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

New Backplate Motor Mounts for Thunder Tiger 40 Pro engines

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

New Backplate Motor Mounts for Thunder Tiger 40 Pro engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Lewis S.
My Feedback: (229)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Backplate Motor Mounts for Thunder Tiger 40 Pro engines

Hi Guys,

Attached are pictures of the new run of motor mounts I just finished for the Thunder Tiger 40 Pro engines. These replace the original back plate and use the factory screws and back plate gasket. These a 1/4 ounce lighter than the ones I made previously. I have also taken the flat, piston relief out of the back plate to prevent anyone from trying to build an illegal engine using a TT-46 crankshaft or TT-46 parts in a TT-40 case.

The prices are $18.00 for the round mount and $19.00 for the square mount. Shipping will be $3.50 for one mount and $5.00 for 2 or more to the same address. Attached are a few pictures of the mounts. I can now take Paypal using the email address below for paypal [email protected]

Landing gear, skids, wheels and more to follow shortly. For now email me at [email protected] until I get the website back up. Work has finally settled down to a normal pace again after 2 crazy years.

Thanks

Lewis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84024.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1171404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79945.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1171405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74989.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1171406  
Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: New Backplate Motor Mounts for Thunder Tiger 40 Pro engines

Lewis- what are the weights of your mounts- both round and square?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Lewis S.

Hello,
The round mounts are 33 grams or 1.125 ounces and the square mounts are 51 grams or 1.75 ounces. Remember, you save the wieght of the original back plate cover as it gets removed when you use these.

Lewis
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
djlyon

OOOOOHHHH and they pack the crankcase just like the Performance Specialties back plate (illegal). And my testing showed an almost 8 rpm gain from packing the case with these back plates. Well below the accuracy of the best tachs.

Denis
Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM
David Hill
My Feedback: (2)

I just got mine from Lewis the other day, they work real nice. I like the fact that the round one lets me mount the engine at any angle I want. I also got a square one so I have one plane i can switch back and forth for 428 and 424.

David
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Left_Turn

Is replaciing the actual engine backplate legal, especially since it isn't the exact match of an OEM part ?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM
David Hill
My Feedback: (2)

I raced them down in Bowie two years back no problem. They don't improve the performance and I like the fact they stop people from cheating. I know of two people who were putting TT-46 pro parts in 40 cases that did not get caught. Can't do that with these.

David
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
freeair

Lewis, could you give me a total cost for one of the square type mounts , going to Australia. thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 AM
djlyon

Per AMA replacing the back plate with a radial mount back plate is legal as long as they don't change the crank case volume. All the current replacements do change the crank case volume on TT 40s. But nobody cares because they don't seem to increase performance. But rules are rules. Use the Viper type radial mount and you don't violate the rules.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Lewis S.

I understand your point about rules are rules, HOWEVER if you want to go with that point, changing the head gaskets to a different thickness is also illegal and that does improve the performance. I did all of the original testing of engines for Nepro back 8 years ago when the K&B 40 was going away. The engines worked out so well, what we did was adopted nationally for the most part. Packing the case on these engines does not improve the performance at all. This was checked with a Dumont mechanical tach that reads down to 5 rpm divisions. Just a point here, the very first TT-40 pro engines did not have the piston relief in the rear cover on the inside. It was later changed to make it a common part between the two engines.

424 rules are regional, some areas will allow these , others may not. I would always check first with the people you are going to fly with. I also make the mounts that use the original back plate and get added to the back. The problem with these are you are more likely to twist or break the case in a crash.

Thanks
Lewis
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Lewis S.

Please email me directly at [email protected] and I can tell you the shipping cost to Australia.

Thanks
Lewis
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your mounts look great and I'm sure they work just as good as they look.
I also agree with you that nobody is really going to care about the flat not being there. In fact I think it's a pretty good idea.

However, and I don't wish to change the intent of your thead your comment
changing the head gaskets to a different thickness is also illegal and that does improve the performance.
is not accurate. The head gasket is listed as one of the parts you can replace. Over the course of several emails with Mr. Hahn in Muncie he felt that shim (gasket) thickness was a non issue. Some races require the stock one, some don't its all up to the CD.
The other point is, if you know two people are using illegal motors why would you not call them out? To me that is very important. Nobody wants to be called a cheater without a chance to defend themselves. I wouldn't like it.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Al Valdman

I love it when the AMA sticks in their 2 cents worth without a clue. Head spacing on the TT-40 can make a big difference, but again like Lewis posted, check your area rules. I know the Nepro and Bowie do NOT allow you to change them and you must run the muffler baffle.

As for calling out a cheater, I saw it done down in Bowie a few years back, 3 guys were thrown out for not running baffles. Why guys cheat is beyond me. They will never know how they stack up honest against the best guys,

Lewis, sent you an email, I want three of those round mounts.

Al
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it when the AMA sticks in their 2 cents worth without a clue.
They didn't.
I asked while writing the rules for our Southern Pylon Racing Association. The question came up primarily due to the rule at Bowie's races. I wanted clarification and got none. We worded our rules the same as RCR-1 and leave it up to the CD to state weather or not to allow a diffrent thickness.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Lewis, I have tried emailing you and ordering several parts that you offer. I am not getting any response. Are you still in business? Your web site is still up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Lewis S.

Hello Barry,
The site is there but there is a problem, we can not get in to update it right now, they are trying to work out the problem. Please email me at [email protected] directly for the time being.

Thanks
Lewis
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
BarryReade

Thanks Lewis, The order is on it's way
Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: djlyon

OOOOOHHHH and they pack the crankcase just like the Performance Specialties back plate (illegal). And my testing showed an almost 8 rpm gain from packing the case with these back plates. Well below the accuracy of the best tachs.

Denis
actually these great looking backplates would be totally legal to use on the TT-Pro engine, the stock backplate on the TT is all round without any piston relief plus how on earth could this plate unit increase power like in [packing the case] not possible when the backplate is a snug fit to the case plus if its any deeper it will contact the crankshaft end. say if this unit was used on an OS engine things may differ as the OS stock back plate does have a piston relief cut out.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 AM
djlyon

I don't know where you get your TT Pro 40s from but all mine have a piston relief in the back plate even though it's not necessary on the 40 but is on the 46 which I also understood used the same backplate. I didn't realize there were any out there without the relief.

Denis
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
djlyon

I just checked 6 of my TT40 back plates. They all have a relief even my most recent bought 4 months ago. If you guys over there are getting them without relief cut outs you are getting different engines than us.

Denis
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
DonStegall

Lewis,

Any chance of you bringing this mount back?

I like it because there is no question about it being legal. And it is better than the Viper 500 mount.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42205.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1204861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48731.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1204862  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Scorpion Racing

I agree with Denis, all 5 of my TT Pro 40's have the relief cut too. It is rather small, maybe a 1/16" across the top, but it is there. My oldest one is about 4 years old, and the newest is from February of this year. They all look the same, but the newer one has a serial number under the left mounting lug. As far as being legal, I have never seen anyone get tossed out for using a good mount! If you are unsure about it being legal, contact the CD for the event you will be flying in and ask him.

The only advantage it will give you is to give you a solid mount, and one less cast part to worry about cracking. I feel the any of the backplate mounting systems give you a more solid mount than a beam type, and an engine that is mounted solidly will produce more power.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Vicen

Hi Lewis,

Has made Backplate square for Rossi .40?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To those of you who have had several TT.40s over the past few years: Are the newer ones any better than the older ones?

Kurt
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
djlyon

I would guess that those from prior to 2003/2004 are about a 1000 rpm less on a 9/6apc than the newer ones. At about that time some significant changes were made to the internals in both quality and design. It looked lie TT figured out what the 40s were being used for. Post 2004 they look and run like carbon copies and are stronger.

Denis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.