Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q500 entry-level Q's

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 AM
jay1st

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Q500 entry-level Q's

Hi all racers !

I am well interested in the Q500 entry-level we have, called "Quickie Promotion".
We have a limited list of engines to choose from, all stock, no mods allowed, no tuned pipe.
And the airplane is the same as Q500 (no composite hollow wings).

So I was wondering what will be the best and easyiest choice.....

Engine list:

ASP 40 (standard & super)
Enya 40 SS
OS 46 Fx & AX
SC 46
Irvine 40 ABC (MK2 & SP)
Super tigre 46
Magnum 40
ASP 46
MVVS 6.5 GFS ABC
Thunder Tiger 46
OS 40SF & FP + LA
Magnum 46
Picco 40
Leo 46
Rossi 40 RS – 23 R40
Delta 46
Irvine 46
LEO 40
OPS 40 SLA RCA
OS 40 FSR

I already use a ST45GS, turning a 10x6 APC 14400 RPM and I know the OS46AX as well.

As for the plane it-self, we see the Viper 500 everywhere, and was wondering if there is any other "cheap no to expensive" choice ?

Tnx & rgds.
Jay.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM
blindfaithnogod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Q500 entry-level Q's

over here we largly run the Thunder tiger pro .40 with a 9X6 apc prop. I've heard of other people using the os ax 46. either would be a good choice. both run very reliably.
the viper is probably the easiest way to go on the airframe. check these forums for the mods you need to perform so they dont break apart from rough use.
there are some kits offered by some online guys.... they will cost you a little more but are higher quality than the viper. check here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7574677/tm.htm some of these are only composites, but some are offered as both foam and composite wings.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vipers are the way to go with the airplane - a few simple mods and they are reliable and fly very well. As for the motor - I would recommend that it is inexpensive, available to all, bereliable and use a single prop. Most here in the states use theThunder Power Pro-40 with an APC 9x6 thougha fewgroups do use TT46's or OS46. Some of the engines on your list are no longer available new - I would stay away from anything not available new to everyone.In the airvipers with a TT Pro-40 are all remarkablysimilar in speed regargless of whatthey maytack on thegroundwhich places apremiumon pilot skill and practice as it should be. Best of luck!

dan
Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if they let you and you can spend the money the rossi is the fastest engine therewith the mvvs 6.5 a close second. the os 46 would be your most reliable and great power. and the thundertiger 46 is the most used and best bang for the buck.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
djlyon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jay

Have you tried this web site or it's contacts. It seems they could give you better advice as to a promotional Q500 class. They should be will versed in the European Q500 classes and the availability of good and preferred engines that meet the rules.

http://mcbssy.free.fr/

Good contacts in Germany. They fly in races in France are on a pylon forum on this web site. If you don't speak German English well be fine.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

On this next site you can get a lot of info from this gentleman. He makes kits and I know a sells a lot of them to French racers.

http://www.attackjack.eu

Any of the people in the above forums can put you in contact with pylon racers in France.

I hope I didn't misunderstand your request and you are just trying to find out what we use and why. In any case I would add the Webra 40 GT. And separate out the Rossi 40 23R sense it comes with a tuned muffler stock as may a couple of others such as MVVS and OPS.

Denis

Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 AM
jay1st

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tnx for all the replys !

I am going to cotact some people, got some interesting email adresses in germany.

As for the Webra GT40, it's not on this list of allowed engines, maybe I should go with the Rossi  23R40.

For the model,  I might go with the Grand Chelem V2, availible and not too expensive.

Next move: get the visa out and burn some euros ! (no more wife to stop me )

Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love the TT Pro 46 with the Viper and a 9x7 or the 8.8 x 8.75. I find the Quickie prop with a Jett muffler to give better throttle response than the 9x7 or even 9x8. But the 9x7 works better on the stock muffler. If you want to talk about budget then the ASP/SC 46 are good engines. They run well on 5% nitro. For me I would stick with the TTs they have improved over the last couple of years and I noticed that they rev more now.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
djlyon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Grand Chelem V2 or a Viper or a Parana with a 23R40 (3 port) with its stock black tuned muffler is going to get you 140 plus mph(240+ kmh) as will a TT40 on a Performance Specialties or Jett tuned muffler. Hardly an entry level combo. These combos fly more like 428s than 424s. The problem with the Rossi is that it weighs 84 grams more than the TT and a 112 grams more than a Nelson or Jett and pesents a real balance problem with most quickie configurations.

Denis
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Denis ... my TT46 with the Jett muffler did not give me 140 mph for sure. Maybe its the temperature and humidity here. I estimate it at about 100 mph only. But I did test my VIper with the R53 and a Jettmuffler, it was fast ... maybe about 120? I am not too sure but was nice. The Rossi 45 and 53 are using the same crankcase and they are heavier than the TTs. Its wider too.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
djlyon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've only compared the TT40 on a tuned muffler and the 23R40 (3 port ) on a tuned muffler  on 15% nitro and a 9/6 apc prop. The ground rpm for the TT was about 18300 to 18400 and the Rossi was 18400 to 18600. I don't know what the unload rpm was but they seemed to unload nicely in the air.  I use the TT40 with tuned muffler as my first flight motor on all my quickies becouse I'm a chicken(coward). I want to get basic trim and balance befor I put a real motor on them.

Denis
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Denis ... what tuned muffler were you running on the TT40? The figures you are getting is nothing to be sneezed at for sure. Its good stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
djlyon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Performance Specialties Tuned muffler made for the TT40 PRO. It comes in 2 versions, a long and a short. The short is the high rpm muffler and is the one you want. The Jett should be just fine if it is tuned for high rpm. For a TT46 it is the same muffler. The TT40s don't get on the last stage until they get to about 17500. When they get on they go up about another 800 to 1000 rpm. With a 9/7apc they don't get on the last stage on the ground, which makes them hard to needle, but they go better in the air.

Denis