Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

glass fuse for Viper.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 AM
freeair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass fuse for Viper.

we all know the Viper is a great Q-500 model except for the fuselage strength. i have just met up with a guy that runs a fibreglass shop and has built so many fibreglass models of large scale to perfection. we are going to produce lightweight fibreglass / carbon fibre fuselages to the exact specs of the original Viper Fuse with all tolerances set in [ 0-0-0 ] as tested . we know the main wing is very strong for any engine class as so the tail plane as long as both halves are glued / glassed correctly . so we feel by having a nice straight / light and correct glass fuselage for this model all will work fine. [ glass class viper ] this will be a fun project.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:52 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glass fuse for Viper.

Freeair ... it would be a great idea for sure ...
Old 06-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Stevem9

let me know , i think its a great idea, how much do you think it would cost?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM
PylonDave

you may want to think about makeing the rear of the fuse just a touch wider and make internal elevator linkages. Much cleaner and would be a big improvement.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:27 PM
redfox435cat

it would make a great strong model but would it still be legal for q-500?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
blindfaithnogod

yes, the fuselage can be any material and still be legal for 424. its the wing and tail which needs to be wood/foam construction.

from the ama rules:
"16.3. Event 424: Sport Quickie
16.3.1. Airframe. The airframe specifications for this event are identical to those for Quickie 500 (Event No. 428) with the following exceptions: Wing and tail construction. Wings and tails must be constructed of either all wood or wood sheeting over a solid foam core. Wings and tails manufactured in molds designed to produce hollow core structures are prohibited. Traditional fiberglass reinforcement, carbon fiber or inset wood spars continue to be acceptable. The last three inches of each wingtip may be made of any material. The intent of the rule is to keep the cost of participation to a minimum."

there is no mention of materials allowed for fuselage construction... i've known several guys that fly fiberglass fuse.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Vendata

Hello there, If you are going to build these Viper fuselage's make sure you alter the incidence as the origanal ones are out?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Ed Smith

If I may make a suggestion.

I make my own glass fuselages for Q500. With the first attempts I never had a lot of success with the joint seam along the centre line of the top and bottom or along the sides. The seam always seemed to "Cave in" requiring a fair amount of filler to fix.

I decided to make a three sided mold. The seam is along the bottom corner. Any flaws in that seam are very easy to fix. The bottom mold plate is 1/4" deep, the depth of the corner rad. I join the fuselage in the mold while all the glass is still wet, access is through the wing saddle. At the same time I install the firewall, landing gear plate and wing blocks, A mold that deep makes the fuselage difficult to release so I use a removable plate at the firewall, problem solved. Screwed in the bottom mold plate is an aluminum plate to create a recess for the flush mounted LG. I also use a detachable tail. The seat for that is molded in.

See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87658.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1226148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59527.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1226149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25209.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1226150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt54003.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1226151  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Back when Kevin Matney started his "Viper Dog" project, I started a similar project to this one. I already have a fuselage plug and parting plate in progress.

I decided not to widen the rear area for enclosed linkages because it would have resulted in some funny shaped stuff when using the stock Viper tail. And I was lazy.

The incidences were perfect on the fuselage I used for the plug.

My parting plate splits the fuselage on the sides like the Smasher molds.

Mine will be called the "Rattlehead". When I get caught up on some orders I will start a thread and post pictures.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Ed Smith

you may want to think about makeing the rear of the fuse just a touch wider and make internal elevator linkages.
I do not have a Viper so I do not know the width at the rear end. However for internal linkage using ball joints the width inside the fuselage at the linkage position needs to be 5/8".

Ed S
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
DonStegall

It's only 1/2".

I didn't think I could add the width below the stab saddle and keep the shape reasonable for the stock tail.

I have not glassed my plug. I could still add some width back there. I was concerned about messing up the stab incidence more than anything.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 AM
freeair

guys, the Viper glass mould is allmost complete, what my expert friend is doing is there will be no visible join between the 2 fuse halves. the halves will be joined corner to corner if you know what i mean, [ like 2 x L shapes ] it was his idea and i must say he really knows what hes talikng about when it comes to glass work etc. and yes this mold is taken off a well set up Viper with 0-0-0-0 incidence. yes 4 of; no right thrust , no up or down thrust , no main wing incidence and no rear tail incidence, how boring . my friend also does alot of vacume bagging , not mainly foam wings but foam sheeted surfboards that look like the early original malibu plank type boards of the 60 ,s , he imports large quantities of rough sawn balsa that he uses as the sheeting and when all is sanded and polished you would not know the difference between this method and the original timber plank boards, only the lighter weight of the foam sheeted. i will be doing some pics on this Viper Glass Class.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Ed Smith

the halves will be joined corner to corner if you know what i mean, [ like 2 x L shapes ]
I am always interested in others methods. With corner to corner joining how is the wing saddle flange along the joint corner formed? Can you post pictures?

When I join my fuselages I use tape and go in through the wing saddle hole. Access is quite easy. With a corner joint is one top corner behind the wing hole not difficult to access?

Ed S
Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
freeair

the wing saddle is formed within the L halve and stops at the trailing edge area, its hard to describe as i am not the glass wizard but i will show some pics of progress when ready. looks like were also going to do composite wings for the viper too. this should make it really some machine.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Tony344

interested in this one too freeair.... any idea of when they might be available (fuse)?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
RacerRick

Hi

My name is RacerRick .
I won the nats in 1992 with a Viper In Q500 I have built glass fus and wood all total 260 over a 3 year period .I started with a kit from doug whitacker and with his ok I built kits ready to Race
I would love to talk about this .
But call me I am not the best typest haha
770-235-7999 mob
[email protected]
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 AM
paysonhobbies
My Feedback: (2)

Let me know when they would be ready to test out, I'd love to get in line for one if your going to be selling them.

Also would you consider doing the Racer II?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM
daven

Rick,

I believe you are talking about the Hobbico Viper, I believe FreeAir is talking about the Great Planes Viper. They are two completely different airplane designs that unfortunately share the same name.