Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

428 motors

Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
SSAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 428 motors

Kommander,

I did run my LS Jett at Whittier, but it was crashed the week before in practice so I didn't expect much power due to a small scratch on the piston and a damaged front bearing that I had to replaced. However, it seem to go pretty good still when I figured out the needle setting with the new backplate with more offset in it. The engine performance was decent with good speed, but going to the contest with a new, never flown airplane and stuck with the CG 1/4 inch too far back didn't help either. I normally fly my plane around 2 7/8 - 3" back from LE, but this heavy scrap fuse (lay-up practice fuse) balanced at 3 1/4" from LE really got to my nerve. Fighting the plane around the course wasn't fun and I couldn't fly well enough to get a decent time to show for it and it showed. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
angelgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi

for race 424 what is it the best engine os tunder tiger or magnum

thanks
angelgarcia@poliblock.com
angel
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
fizzwater2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Angel - here in the states, the only AMA 424 legal engine is currently the Thunder Tiger pro .40

Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
djlyon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and only with a 9/6 apc prop. There is some flexibility though. A few areas in the US use the OS46 with 10/6 props. But as you can see there has really no comparison been made. The TT40 selection is based on under $100 price and good consistency from unit to unit. The magnum is not in the mix because of poor performance consistency from unit to unit.

Denis

Search this Thread