RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Tettra Tanks: How's Your Bladder? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/10387621-tettra-tanks-hows-your-bladder.html)

Electriceddie 03-08-2011 05:05 PM

Tettra Tanks: How's Your Bladder?

Hi Guys,

I was thinking the other day about racing while on the train going to work. I was going over in my mind my planes and their general set ups. As I was going over the planes internal set up in my head, as I got to the Tettra tank my mind started to ponder this question.

I am thinking that for the most part the bladders are wet, stretched and collapsed pretty much the entire summer racing season. Now they are hanging in the shop, dry. What, if any damage can happen while they hang dormant.

So I am wondering:

1. Are there any storage techniques that could be employed to preserve the life of the Bladder? If so what are they?

2. Is it necessary to do anything?

3. Can the Bladder's dry out, or get gummy when fresh fuel is added in the Spring causing engine issues?

4. What is the life span of a Bladder in the tank? Can a Bladder burst after prolonged use? I wouldn't want it to burst at the first race of the season.....

Thanks again

ElectricEddie [8D]

garys 03-09-2011 01:19 AM

RE: Tettra Tanks: How's Your Bladder?

I've known several people that will run the same Tetra tanks for several seasons of racing with no special maintanence. Personally I replace my tanks every year, regardless of how much or little racing I do. I just chalk it up to $20/year preventative maintanence per plane.

BarryReade 03-09-2011 04:51 AM

When storing your bladder tank, remove all fuel from it and then put about 2 0z of air from your tanker so it is not completely collapsed.  Some completed fill with air and thenrelieve all pressure.  Some of my bladder tanks are going on 4 years old and I have never had one break while flying.  The only tanks I have lost has been due to crashes but I have only lost 50% of my tanks to crashes.<div>
</div><div>I have used the Tettra tanks but prefer the Jett tanks myself.</div>

daven 03-09-2011 08:52 AM

Hmmm,

I've never done anything with them other than drain them. I'm sure I have bladders in planes well over 5 years old. When I build a new plane, it ALWAYS gets a new Tetra.

Crashed bladder tanks normally go into sport planes, or used for test stands..

HighPlains 03-09-2011 10:05 AM

Gary,

Just send me your year old tanks.

About the only maintenance required is to flush out the exhaust oil that collects between the liner and tank shell.

Electriceddie 03-09-2011 10:13 AM

Gary

I'm with you! Lets split the tanks and the shipping .LOL....

ElectricEddie :D

daven 03-09-2011 12:34 PM

I will say, a leaking (even slightly) Tetra will give you fits and make you think its all kinds of engine problems, especially with the Q40 LS.

I can see why Gary does it, but if I'm not having any issues, they don't come out.

One thing I have found, is to have the right screwdriver (JIS) to tighten that little screw. The old instructions say tighten it till there is an approximate 1/8" gap in the ring. I tighten them till the two flanges are touching and the little piece of metal is under the bolt/ring. With the wrong screwdriver you will just strip the head and never get it tight and then they start to suck air.