RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Havok and Rattler....New Q500 Kits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/11013000-havok-rattler-new-q500-kits.html)

cbk07 03-24-2012 08:22 AM

Havok and Rattler....New Q500 Kits

1 Attachment(s)
I am just finishing up a new Havok......ready for clear. This plane was drawn by Dan Kane and will be available from Joe Tropea very soon. This kit has a slightly different construction making it almost impossible not to build dead straight. The quality and design of the kit are phenomenal......parts fit is spot on. The Havok has a 66-012 airfoil and will be available with a sheeted wing with skinned hinges, horns installed and CF reinforced trailing edge (I believe). The Rattler is the same fuse designed with a wing saddle that accepts a Viper wing. Hope to get this one in the air within the next couple of weeks and will post a flight report. Here is a link to some pics of my build thread on NEPRO
http://forum.nepro.org/index.php?topic=167.0

HighPlains 03-24-2012 01:04 PM

RE: Havok and Rattler....New Q500 Kits

Havok, really? They couldn't come up with an original name?

cbk07 03-24-2012 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I didn't name it, just built it!

Is there a Havok already available from someone else??

qm40dego 03-24-2012 01:28 PM

Hey cbk07, Very nice did you get my pm on how much biult ready to be covered......Thanks

cbk07 03-24-2012 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: qm40dego

Hey cbk07, Very nice did you get my pm on how much biult ready to be covered......Thanks
Sorry,

I believe he is only offering it in kit form

qm40dego 03-24-2012 01:55 PM

Ok Thanks .....

BarryReade 03-24-2012 02:17 PM

Looks great and they are both names in the proud tradition of Quickie names.

BarryReade 03-24-2012 02:23 PM

Sorry about the double post.

kane 03-26-2012 06:25 AM

HaVoK, is what I named it because it is a modified version of my HurriKane. Hence the H for Hurri and the K for Kane, and the V for version. So to answer your question yes it was original. If you had one with this same name, I appologize.

DK

djlyon 03-26-2012 07:49 AM

Looks the same as my HurriKanes but with a bigger and higher aspect ratio tail. Is there any other difference?

Denis

kane 03-26-2012 08:25 AM

Denis,

There are other subtle differences. The major being the construction method. I moved away from the 1/64th ply doubler from the nose to the trailing edge and used light ply instead. Changed the servo arrangement, for better CG fit. Changed the construction method for the fuselage to make it next to impossible to build it crooked.

DK

djlyon 03-26-2012 08:42 AM

Yes I can see in the pictures what you did. I have built about 5 HK fuselages and a couple of Seekers and wouldn't think you could build a crooked one but I guess if the fuselage sides were very different in stiffness it could be a problem. The way you have it now should even take care of that.

Denis

daven 03-26-2012 10:37 AM

Looks very nice.

cbk07 03-26-2012 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some clear on it. Just have to cover the wing and will get some flights on it.

I have built Seekers, Hurrikanes, Vortex's, Intimidators, etc. Like Dan said, the differences are subtle but really do make the build foolproof. The fuse sides are only 1/8" thick, but with all of the interlocking parts and 1/8" doublers it feels extremely rigid. With the quality of todays laser cutting, these things just keep getting easier to build. I am still waiting to find one that is mid-air proof!!

HighPlains 03-26-2012 08:33 PM

Thanks for the explination Dan. I designed a plane and called it Havoc back in 1995, and had been flying one off and on since then. It has appeared in several threads here on RCU with pictures. Your HurriKane was a clever name for a design, and I was always partial to my Thumper design (which was so named because of my last name as well). Maybe I'll call my next design the ShatterKane because of my farming ocupation and what happens to quickies in the end.

kane 03-27-2012 06:07 AM

Highplains, again, there was no attempt to steal your thunder. Seriously, HaVoK was born from "a" "V"ersion "o"f "H"urri"K"ane nothing more nothing less. And yes name your next one "ShatterKane" or whatever other "S" word you choose to use.

DK

Scorpion Racing 03-27-2012 07:14 AM

Well, not Any other "S" word: Scorpion is taken!! :D ;)

HighPlains 03-28-2012 08:47 AM

Well Scat was already taken.

Due to the polymorphic nature of Quickie design, little is unique other than the name. Wings somehow crawled from underneath the fuselage to the top side when builders assembled Spickler Quickie 500 kits with the fuselage turned over, V-tail's got put on to hide cheating on engines, and fuselage aerodynamics were evenually developed to lower drag by changing the accepted design practice.

The beat goes on.

kane 03-28-2012 09:01 AM

Well Scat was already taken.

Due to the polymorphic nature of Quickie design, little is unique other than the name. Wings somehow crawled from underneath the fuselage to the top side when builders assembled Spickler Quickie 500 kits with the fuselage turned over, V-tail's got put on to hide cheating on engines, and fuselage aerodynamics were evenually developed to lower drag by changing the accepted design practice.

The beat goes on.

Agreed

DK

garys 03-28-2012 04:18 PM

Bob,
I didn't realize you had a name for your planes, I just called them "Runts". If you really wanted to be accurate with the name... "Left Lane Exit" would've been appropriate considering their takeoff characteristics :)

HighPlains 03-28-2012 05:58 PM

My callers all look left - throw left.

And I did have a variation that we called the Runt with a 13/4" nose and 6" between the wing and tail. It was the former AMA 428 National Record Holder, which must have been the result of some kind of rift in the space time continuum.

garys 03-29-2012 05:42 PM

which must have been the result of some kind of rift in the space time continuum.
I think it was...immediately after the switch to the long course....when the record was being reset almost every race ;)

Q500 03-29-2012 10:57 PM

So when and where will kits be available?

cbk07 03-30-2012 02:18 AM

I believe the laser cutting was done this week and the wings are in process. I will check with Joe for contact info and availability and post here

cbk07 04-01-2012 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can contact Joe at [email protected] for availability info

Got my wings covered....just need to install a tank, rx, battery and tie up a few loose ends

tropejm 04-02-2012 10:00 AM

Craig:

I would like to publicly thank you for building and completing the very first Havok kit. As always, you've done an awesome finishing job. The plane looks absolutely incredible.

Now hurry up and fly it so I can start talking smack! [:-]

fizzwater2 05-22-2012 01:54 PM

any flight reports?

cbk07 05-24-2012 03:47 AM

Sorry for the delay

I did get three flights on it last week. Plane flies just like it should. Felt ready to race after two flights. I am starting to build number two now

extramaster1 09-26-2012 11:15 AM

Plane looks great, CBK07! Awsome job!

That V-tail sure looks like the Sam-Rai's V-tail...
I'm sure Sam-Rai Racing is very flattered by that.....</p>

cbk07 09-27-2012 04:15 AM

Thanks for the compliment.....definitely the nicest building Quickee I have ever put together. The parts fit is amazing and it is pretty much impossible to build crooked. Joe just got another run of them in stock for the winter building season (along with the Rattler which is the same plane designed around the Viper wing). We have been racing them succesfuly here in NEPRO for a couple of months now.

As far as the V-Tail goes, no reason for Sam-Rai Racing to be flattered. Pretty sure there were plenty of Quickee designs with a 120 degree V-tail featuring a swept leading edge and straight trailing edge long before they came around;)

kane 10-01-2012 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: extramaster1

Boy I sure do hate comments like this. [:@]

The tail is not copied from the SAM-RAI airplane.

DK

BarryReade 10-01-2012 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: kane

ORIGINAL: extramaster1

Boy I sure do hate comments like this. [:@]

DK
I am always suspect of someone who on there very first post ever under that name on the forum makes a comment like that.