RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Post pictures of your RACERS! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/1854644-post-pictures-your-racers.html)

Jay Cappis 02-21-2009 01:38 AM

RE: Post pictures of your RACERS!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my version of the Thunder Quickee. It’s a little shorter on the nose and the tail.

bodyshopjustin 02-24-2009 08:21 PM

Jay that thing is sick!!!!!! I will be able to admire it as I pass you [>:]

JFisher304 02-24-2009 10:01 PM

Nice! I really like that color scheme, very classic.

daven 03-18-2009 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, project #2 is done this winter, reclaimed a 2000' vintage Miss Ashley Q40.

A bit of work here, and although not perfect, should be a suitable flier. This plane has been around the country, and did well at a few contests. Hope the new paint job does it justice. Some of you may remember the previous (Picasso like) paint job :)

Hopefully its midair / ground hits will end at 3!

BernieV 03-18-2009 08:05 PM

Looks good Dave. What kind of paint did you paint it with?

daven 03-18-2009 09:26 PM

Bernie, the white is klasskote, and the green metallic is PPG DCC single stage.

There are a lot of great painters out there, I am not one of them, but I do pride myself in a smooth surface. The colors may not be perfect everywhere, but after a buffer of rubbing and polishing compound, my planes are as clean as any ones.

diggs_74 03-18-2009 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my new Proud Bird.. It's first paint job was last Friday in Daven's garage.. It's second one was in my garage since it got up to a balmy 60 degrees a couple days this week.. When it comes to painting, I might as well count on doing everything twice.. :eek: It turned out pretty good the second time.. Just have to put on the clear and wait for some warm weather..

daven 03-18-2009 09:39 PM

Looks very good Lee!

Nice job.

diggs_74 03-18-2009 09:44 PM

Thanks.. I'm really happy with how it turned out.. Can't wait to see it with the clear on it..

PylonDave 03-19-2009 12:48 AM

Has anyone tried the 2 stage system and what do you like and dislike about it???
Also has anyone tried the water based systems out there.
like this stuff!
http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html
Can you do the color water base and then clear with the ppg type paint??

daven 03-19-2009 07:23 AM

PylonDave,

Yes, I have used two stage many times, and actually prefer it.

I typically use the single stage when painting in a mold, but only had a little left in the can so I wanted to use it up. Klasskote is fuel proof without clear, so I didn't want to add a coat of weight on top of this plane.

As to the Nelson water based paint, I tried to give it a go about 8 years ago. It sounded great until you get ready to use it. I really struggled getting my gun/pressure settings correct and was never fully satisfied with the final painted product and switched back to car paint. People will say you just got to get use to it, but even after trying many suggestions from Nelson and the boards I just couldn't get it give me an acceptable looking finish.

Electriceddie 03-20-2009 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

You asked for Pics here are a few more. In our house the whole family goes to race day. My son and I race as a team and my wife and daughter are our pit crew. You got to get them all involved and working. Racing builds a big appetite. Hmmm Hee Heee. LOL.......... Honey is it Lunch time yet ???????

Ed

diggs_74 03-23-2009 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Proud Bird II all dressed up and ready for it's first flight.. I was really conscious of the weight of things knowing these tend to be a little porky.. Still about 3oz over the minimum :eek: Oh well, at least it will be real good on those windy days in Muncie..

aseaholm 04-05-2009 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good Lee. I like the wing design, might have to borrow that one...

Here's one I painted this weekend, snow flying outside and all.

Replaced the black with Atomic Orange from the 2008 Vette.

diggs_74 04-06-2009 09:13 AM

Feel free, I borrowed it from a similar design I saw on Bruce's website..:D

DHULEN 04-12-2009 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is my first Q40 that I finished. Painted it yesterday, D. Ulledahl (Chop) helped me paint it. Kept it simple, I think it looks good.

DHULEN 04-12-2009 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MORE

fizzwater2 04-12-2009 10:01 PM

looks good, Duane - good luck!

DMUCOP 04-12-2009 10:38 PM

that looks like a $500 paint job to me!! Looks Great!

Jerrett 04-24-2009 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If there's one good thing that can come from a HORRIBLY wet and snowy winter in Seattle..its more time to play around with my airbrush! Here's the result. This is actually the first plane I've painted on my own. Looking forward to seeing how it looks lapping the pylons soon!

Hopefully the pictures post...haven't tried posting pictures to this forum yet...fingers crossed.

DMUCOP 04-24-2009 03:08 PM

WOW thats great!

ChrisAttebery 04-24-2009 04:36 PM

WOW! Nice job.

GSJames 04-24-2009 08:02 PM

Gorgeous!

dhal22 04-24-2009 08:35 PM

wow! we will get to the mid 80's here with sunshine tomorrow. can i fly you down and have you paint some of my planes? [X(]

PylonDave 04-25-2009 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished this Q500. I took two Vortex wings that Crashed at Winter fest and put them together. The Left 3/4 of the wing is from one plane and the right 1/4 is from another plane. Both from Texas!! Hope to Maiden tommorow.