RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Battery Dilemma: For Q-500 - 424 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/7187706-battery-dilemma-q-500-424-a.html)

Electriceddie 03-06-2008 10:46 PM

Battery Dilemma: For Q-500 - 424

Hi guys,

Going a bit brain dead or maybe its just that I get about 4 hours of sleep each night with the hours I work.

In my Viper I use the Hitec HS-225's all around except on the throttle I have an HS-81. I have a Hitec Supreme 8 in one and the Futaba R-168DP in the other. Other then that the set up are exactly the same. I know the pro's and con's of 4.8 volt Vs. 6.0 volt but what is the consensus out there in regards to which size is everyone actually using in Q-500 - 424 .

The 4.8 or the 6.0 volt. I have both a 720 Nimah 4.8 and a 720 Nimah 6.0.

So what's the popular choice.

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

skull1971 03-06-2008 11:00 PM

RE: Battery Dilemma: For Q-500 - 424

Aren't you the guy who put water in the bladder tank, to practice filling it? [sm=lol.gif]

it dosen't matter what volt you use, yes 6vdc will move the servos faster, but unless your in a fly off for the Nat Champ, it won't really matter. I guess go with the 4.8 because is has one less cell, to save weight.

TIA 03-06-2008 11:30 PM

Go with what's most reliable.

Go with what you have.

Go have fun!

:D

Kevin Matney 03-07-2008 02:37 AM

Hi
I hope you all know that a 5 cell pack will draw more amps the a 4 cell will do.
So if you run a 5 cell pack you need more Nimah hr then a 4 cell. IE 4 cell I run with 4 dig, servos is 400 MA, If I went to a 5 cell I would use a 70ma .

daven 03-07-2008 07:01 AM

Eddie,

I have run mostly 720 MAH NIMH packs 4.8 volts in most of my planes, but am moving towards 6 volt packs in my Q40's with most digi servos.

What you have would work fine.

Electriceddie 03-07-2008 07:34 AM

Hey Guys,

Hey Skull1971 - I guess I stirred an interest in filling up bladder tanks with water. It's fun, you all should try it.(LOL).

If you did not catch my blurb about why I did it with water, I repeat. I wanted to practice filling up the "Tettras bladder tank" using a "Jett Tanker"it and getting all of the air bubbles out of the tank. I was trying different methods and scenarios of how to fill up the bladder tank using clamps etc. I came up with several different ways of doing so, some better then others. (Really several more different way of having fun - LOL) during my fun-filled nights in the laboratory I ended up spraying a bit of water around here and there. Imagine if it was fuel, the wife would have really yelled. Back to the batteries.

I am aware of the differences between the voltages, mAh's, Nicad Vs. NimAh, 4-cell Vs.5-cell drawing more amps etc.

Skull1971 - I have to admit I did not think of the weight savings, even though slight , every little bit counts in racing. I think I acheived what I set out to do and that was to get a short discussion going about 4.8 (4-cell) Vs. 6.0 (5-cell) pro's and con's.

Keep'em coming if anyone can think of some more points.

As for me, I have to side with the 4.8. I think since the overall control is fairly slow (so your not all over the course) and weight is always a concern. To me, 4.8 it makes more sense. You don't need the extra speed of the servosyou get from 6.0 V, it's lighter, the battery lasts longer on a charge and easier to fit it in the plane no matter where it ends up etc.

Anyone else??????

Thanks for the input guys.

PS. You really ought to try it with the water. Use water and I might have a chance of winning a race someday. LOL

Ed

Bill Vargas 03-07-2008 08:31 AM

If your plane is "lite", use a bigger battery to get you closer to the weight limit and visa versa if your plane is a little "tubby tubby" :D

BV

skull1971 03-07-2008 10:31 AM

Eddie, it"s all good Bro., just poking fun at you. At least your getting into racing, and asking questions. Also check out NMPRA that's the SIG for racing. You'll find there are alot of great people in pylon, and most everyone will answer questions for you. Just in this thread you have some of the leaders in racing offer answers to ya. Kevin Matney, Bill Vargas, and Dave Norman, they're really like ledgends of the plyon scene. I haven't even turned a lap yet and these guys have hepled me so much, it's hard to believe.
What plane are you working with?? A Viper?, a Pred? 1or2?

jaka 03-07-2008 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
The new mark 2 NiMH cells from GP , 800mAh , 4 or 5 cells. AAA size.

Electriceddie 03-07-2008 04:19 PM

Hi Skull1971,

I here ya. I do recall the names. Everyone knows about Dave Norman and his favorite color Green (LOL) I have read some of the stories.

Bill Vargas the skinned hinge man, yup I'm down with ya there.

I have 2 Vipers, with 2 TTP .40's turnning about 16500 and change. All Hitec servos 225's and 81's on throttle. One viper has a Futaba Recv'r R168DP and the other is a Hitec Supreme 8. Both coming in around 3lbs' / 13 to 15 ounces. I also have an old Dodger. I had an early Glen Spickler Q-500 from back in the 70's when this Q-500 Pylon thing was starting. I was 13 or 14, who's counting, with the K&B and Irvine carb.

The 2 Vipers - One is mine and the other is my 15 yr old son's. We started racing together last year. He started racing in beginner races with an Avistar with a .51 Super Tiger and beat a few guys out with Q-500's. Out of 12 guys he came in 7th place. Me 3rd. (I still beat him) LOL but we had a lot of fun calling for each other as well. This year we both have Vipers. WATCH OUT!!!! here we come.....

Ed