RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Newbie Quickie Question (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/7258129-newbie-quickie-question.html)

_Tommy D 03-20-2008 11:09 PM

Newbie Quickie Question

Guys

I was just wondering if any of the currently available ARF Quickie 500 <like the Viper> models stands out from the pack? I am not looking for a model to compete with, and truth be told It's going to be electric powered.

So what do you fellows think?

Thanks!

Tommy

skull1971 03-21-2008 01:49 AM

RE: Newbie Quickie Question

An ARF in that price range, you have to pick from a Viper, or a Viper. Its the only one out there.

_Tommy D 03-21-2008 11:03 AM

Thanks Eric

Hey, by any chance do you know much about the Viper ARC that was sold by Hobbico <discontinued now>. It builds as both a V and Standard tail.

Thanks!

Tommy D

skull1971 03-21-2008 07:58 PM

Sorry, don't know anything about them, I'm really kinda new here too, only a couple years. Ask maybe Daven, Highplains, or Bill Vargas, these guys have been around R/C and racing since before I was born, they'll know. (And NO that wasn't and "Old" shot, just respect for the elders ;))

bigtrev@xtra.co.nz 03-21-2008 08:26 PM

The one you are talking about was produced some 10 years ago and you could build one of three variants- mid tail, vee tail and conventional. haven't seen them for years but they were good.
regards trevor h :Dnz

vicman 03-21-2008 08:30 PM

The Dominator is like that. But not an ARF.

Bozarth 03-21-2008 08:44 PM

The old vipers were low wing and looked and flew (and ground handled) very similar to the Scat Cat. Most had warped wings. The latest generation of ARFs (Vipers, Predators) are head and shoulders above this version. I have had several of both versions along with plenty of Scat Cats. I used to live two blocks from Riley Wooten's FliteLine factory - a very unique place.

Kurt Bozarth

_Tommy D 03-21-2008 09:51 PM

Guys

Thanks much for your time to answer my questions.

The last thing I need is a ARC that needs mods to build true and straight right out of the box.

My I ask another question though. Why is the V tail used over a standard tail on many Quickie models? Is it simply to remove the drag <and increase speed?> of 1 control surface? Also the Great Planes Viper has the ailerons WAY inboard, again whats the thought behind it?

Currently the gear I want to transplant is in a E-Flite Ultra Stick and I would HATE to have a model thats no more slipery then what I'm flying.

Thanks Much!

Tommy

skull1971 03-21-2008 11:24 PM

Ailes. inboard, because the can!, this puts thim in the prop wash and help add to the, power on (full take off power), slow speed control. As far as the V-tail, well thats a question for the ages. My thought is that, it works, less surface for drag, and there must be something to it because everyone uses it. I'm sure there's an engineer some where that could explain it, and show you the difference's. "Ok so why didn't they always use them?", simple, computer radios didn't exist.
E-flite stick gear will be to under powered to make a Viper fly as it should, IMO, i'd be a waste of time and effort. Sorry dude. You need to look to making it equil in power to a Nelson, of Jett, then we'd all line up to see what ya got. ;)

_Tommy D 03-21-2008 11:40 PM

Eric

Thanks for your post.

Tomorrow I'm going to test different props on the Axi 2826 10. I can tell you right now on a 4S pack it makes 900W spinning a large 11" prop. Ill add a cell and start with a 9x9 and a decent meter/tach.

FWIW the US25 is NO racer but it raises eyebrows in the current configuration. I'm not looking to go 100 MPH but if the project were to give me say 10=15 MPH over what I am currently topping out at, then it's worth it to me.

That is if I can fit the @#$% battery into the model!

Tommy D

vicman 03-21-2008 11:42 PM

Bro, this aint a stick! In fact you need to have throws so slow you can't stand it for racing birds. Fast? You bet! But you need to control it in a reasonable way. I flew my Viper this aftenoon. It isn't a stick, trainer, or normal airplane. You need to have your head into turning left and doing it a quick manner...othewise don't bother.

If you just do fast flybys build a Patriot or find a Magnum somewhere, otherwise you will be disappointed.[8D]

_Tommy D 03-21-2008 11:54 PM

Thanks Vic

It sounds like this airframe is basically built to do one thing, turn left. If it's a piss poor sport flyer I just might be very disappointed.

Tommy D

garys 03-22-2008 01:07 AM

They can turn right just as well as left, but they do make rather "boring" sport planes due to the small control surfaces, ect. They are hard to stall, so snaps are all but impossible, so you're left with basic loops and rolls.

The primary reason for the V tail is to keep a portion of the tail in clean air at all times. The inboard ailerons is primarily to help prevent flutter.

_Tommy D 03-22-2008 12:38 PM

Garys

Thanks for the answers. I wrote my club Prez an E-Mail regarding the ailerons and I guessed basically what you told me.

I'm, waiting to hear from a fellow E-Flyer to see if my battery packs will fit in the fuse. If so I have a combo that will spin a 9x9 16,200 RPM. That just might make this little model move out A-OK.

Is there any truth that they upgraded the wheels in the Viper kit and they don't fail on your first landing?

Tommy D