RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Are there any Vipers Anywhere? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/7466693-there-any-vipers-anywhere.html)

DMyer 05-07-2008 09:58 AM

Are there any Vipers Anywhere?

I thought I was retired from racing for the second time, but my oldest son has other thoughts and wants to race. At least 424 is less expensive than getiing him a giant scale 3D! At 17 and 2 years of 3D he has the flying thumbs and skill I always dreamed of and is gonna make a lot of old guys cry the blues about second place real soon! I am reduced to being the builder, ground crew and caller. I wanted to get a plane togther real fast for his first race that is a month away with time to practice first. I was shocked that I cannot find a single Predator or Viper. I did see a first generation predator sell for over $150 on ebay including shipping. That is nutty. Is there a secret stash somewhere or do I have to build my own real fast? Thanks.

dan

skull1971 05-07-2008 10:06 AM

RE: Are there any Vipers Anywhere?

Tower had some Vipers. The Lanier line is gone, thanks to Great Planes. [:@]

DMyer 05-07-2008 10:18 AM

Tower and everywhere else I checked are out... late may arrival expected. I can buy a fuse and wing but then I am paying quite a premium for an incomplete kit(of course I throw a lot small stuff away) and tower will not discount the parts. If I cannot find something quick I will need to start making one of my scratch built designs - which I hate to do because no matter how good the kid is... he is gonna wreck a few in the learning process before he finds the grove.

chris1971 05-07-2008 11:00 AM

Last week I saw that Hobbywarehouse.com is listing them like they have some in stock. You might try there and see if they have any or just forgot to update their website.

Chris

vicman 05-07-2008 12:29 PM

You can always get a Dave Norman Seeker. The tab construction goes togeather like a snap.

Giant 05-07-2008 12:47 PM

Graves Hobbies in Orlando Has Two listed in stock.

http://www.gravesrc.com/

skull1971 05-07-2008 01:16 PM

My bad!! I do know that Randy's Hobbies, in Houston TX. HAD a Pred 1 and Pred 2, the last time I was there.
281-469-7000

DMyer 05-07-2008 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Giant

Graves Hobbies in Orlando Has Two listed in stock.

http://www.gravesrc.com/

Much appreciate the tip!!! Got the last one and it is on the way to my house now!:D

Dan

chris1971 05-07-2008 04:32 PM

I just ordered two of the old hobbico vipers from graves. There is only one left in their clearance section. They were on sale for 59.99. Has anybody flown one of those?

fizzwater2 05-07-2008 04:38 PM

I don't know anyone that's flown the hobbico viper (low wing) but many many years ago I had a couple of low wing "mid tail" (I called 'em lower case T tails...) that flew VERY well. Don't know what it was, but perhaps the elevated stab got it out of the dirty air off the wing -whatever, they flew well.

chris1971 05-07-2008 04:55 PM

The website says you can build it t-tail, mid tail or v-tail.

HighPlains 05-07-2008 07:21 PM

They are called a "crucifix tail".

garys 05-07-2008 08:51 PM

The Hobbico Viper was similar to Scat Cat with different tail configurations. It was designed by Doug Whitaker from the Nashville area, and pretty competive in the late 80's and early 90's. The Hobbico version usually came out heavy, but would probably be close to the 3.75 pound minimum we have now. Most were built as V tails, with a few crucifix tails. I don't remember seeing many conventional tailed versions.

s-10promod 05-08-2008 05:50 PM

I just loaned (gave) my Hobbico Viper to a buddy to practice, and race. Mine balanced and flew a lot better than than the Scat Cat I'm flying two pole with. It's a tad heavy, but it is strong. I raced it last season in a 424 race and tied for second with it .

Duane-RCU 05-08-2008 06:23 PM

There's a Viper nib on e-pay, ending soon...

Electric Delta 05-18-2008 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a Hobbico Viper and loved it. I got it used off of that big online auction site, and flew it for a couple of years with an OS .46 SF and PerfSpec tuned muffler. It met its demise pulling a hard pylon turn one day, like I'd done countless time with it, it folded the wing just outside of the fiberglass reinforced center area. It's a great flying plane, much like the Scat Cat. These ARC's still come up for sale from time to time, just watch for them; I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.