RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Question for the JR guys (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/7580156-question-jr-guys.html)

s. wallace 06-04-2008 03:27 PM

Question for the JR guys

I am thinking about switching to 2.4GHZ, I currently have a JR 9303 after retiring my old, reliable 8103.

Just my luck JR brought out a full 2.4 version of the 9303 not long after I bought a 72mhz one. I do see they also offer a 2.4 module to upgrade existing 9303 and other module based JR transmitters.

Anyone have any experience with the module 2.4 upgrade? I am wary from what I see in the photos on Horizon's website that it uses an external lead from the new module to the 2.4 antenna- looks like something that would be prone to damage.

The 2.4 module, antenna and & 7 ch Rx is $240; the 2.4 9303 Tx w/ 9 ch Rx is $629.
I would rather put the additional $400 towards receivers but not if the module version is problematic.

Second question is everyone running the 6 or 7 channel receiver? Any issues with the 6 channel Rx in a racing environment?

Thanks in advance.

rcpilot32 06-04-2008 04:41 PM

RE: Question for the JR guys

I have the 9303 and the 10X. Purchased 2.4 modules for both of them. Bought the recievers and have been flying for about 3 months. It's a lot cheaper doing it this way.

James

Bill Vargas 06-04-2008 06:12 PM

Lotus, as that article reads, on the Spektrum website, the blame is being put on the user thats abusing the equipment. So long as you properly take care of the equipment, you shouldn t have any worries about the module systems.

Bummer you got the older version of the 9303 just before the new 2.4 came out. You probably won t get much for that 9303 if you try to sell it because its a used item and everyone is dumping off the old stuff to provide funds for the new,,, its the nature of the beast if you will.

I went with the DX7 and 5 AR7000's Rx's during the Great Give Away Deal program when it was running, that whole package cost me just a tick under 600.00 and saved me about 200.00 back then.

So by going module, you'll save $$$,,, or you could sell off the old stuff, put another little dent in the plastic and be happy with a true 2.4 system right up until the wife sees the monthly statement,,, been there done that[sm=shades_smile.gif]

BV

s. wallace 06-04-2008 06:29 PM

Bill, thanks for pointing out that article - I had not read that before.

I think I will go with the module upgrade, I'm pretty meticulous with my equipment - I'll be careful with that antenna connection and should be ok. My 10 year old 8103 still looked like new when I sold it.

I like my Seeker's & Hurrikane's but have a soft spot for my worn out Racer ll ;)

Scott

Bill Vargas 06-04-2008 06:44 PM

>>> I like my Seeker's & Hurrikane's but have a soft spot for my worn out Racer ll<<<

Scott, an old Racer once told me,,, if its ugly, shakes and makes a lot of noise, its probably Fast :D

glad to hear its still around.

BV

wildnloose 06-04-2008 10:29 PM

Spektrum has its growing pains, the latest being the 6100 parkflyer rcvr (read that there seems to be more talk of this receiver having issues than the others).

I have the 72Mhz 9303 with Spektrum module. I have done the mod (mentioned on another forum) that routs the antenna wire internally. Just know that this voids any warranty you have (transmitter and module). I have done extensive tests, and lets just say that I do not have any concerns with my transmitter and module...plus it looks good. Also note that with the module you do not get the model match, you have more latency, and you do not have the servo synch.

I have been flying with the 6100, 2-6200, 7000, and 9000 receivers. I have never had any issues with any of them, they all have worked flawlessly from day one. Make sure your receivers have the quickconnect voltage recovery system (free firmware upgrade from horizon).

If you plan to use this, I would recommend you use the 6200 for any full sized plane (especially your quickie). I know you will be tempted to use the 6100 (parkflyer rcvr) but don't do it.