RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Nelson Q500 manual / instructions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8027304-nelson-q500-manual-instructions.html)

Ebuli 10-07-2008 02:05 PM

Nelson Q500 manual / instructions

I bought a used Nelson Q500 engine along with some props and glow-plugs. The engine has an 'adjustable choke' instead of venturi.
No manual was included and I didn't get a reply for my inquiries for one from pspec.com.

Is there a manual anywhere that I could download?

I've never had these Nelson (or any pylon engines) engines before and I'm interested on these issues:
- What is the startup procedure as there is no normal carburator?
- How do you set the needle when starting up?
- What should the rpm be with 8,8x9 prop (on ground)?

daven 10-07-2008 02:58 PM

RE: Nelson Q500 manual / instructions

There is no manual that I am aware of...

1. Completely turn the needle in, and then open it 5 full turns.
2. run 15% Nitro fuel with a bladder tank ( 5 1/4 oz, or 6 oz)
3. Use a clamp on the fuel line until you are ready to start it
4. start with an APC D1 8.8" x 8.75 prop
5. Open the barrel carb to wide open
6. remove fuel line clamp
7. apply glow
8. hit it with a starter
9. should start rather quickly
10. The motor should be relatively rich at 5 turns out.
11. Slowly turn the needle in (clockwise) untill the rpm stops climbing, should be somewhere around 19,000 - 19,500
12. back the needle back so you are about 400 off peak and launch

The barrel carb just allows you to close off the air for shutting the motor down, it really doesn't idle or transistion well, made for all out running. The 8.8" x 9 prop should be fine, but can overheat quickly if leaned on too hard. Keep the motor rich the first few flights and work your way in to the perfect needle.

The needle will change from day to day more than your average sport motor. I like to open the needle up 1 full turn prior to starting if I haven't run the motor that day. If I had the motor needled well on the same day I open 1/2 a turn up before starting. These motors run great, but don't like to get hot, you can wreck them quick by running lean.

scausey 10-07-2008 05:57 PM

Norman, you have given up way too much information ..... I always thought Shadel set the motors up so all you would have to do is start and go... thats all I do ..... or don't you have one of those Special motors ....

daven 10-07-2008 10:41 PM

I assumed this was a short stroke.........

The LS instructions are kept locked up :)

Ebuli 10-08-2008 01:21 AM

Thanks a lot daven, you gave me pretty much all the information i could ask for. Cheers!

BTW, I dont know if it's a Long or Short Stroke engine, any reasonable way to find out?

daven 10-08-2008 05:31 AM

If it is an LS, it will be engraved "LS" on the muffler, near where it attaches to the motor. If it is an LS, the instructions above will mostly work, other than where to back the motor off prior to launch. Depending on head/sleeve spacing and prop combo, it could vary between 1000 and 2500 off peak a launch.

Zimodile 10-23-2008 07:28 AM

Hello all

I am starting Q500 racing in 2009. I have no experience with this type of highly tuned motor. However, I have raced other pylon classes before and would like to have a competitive engine to start with! We race on FAI fuel over here (UK) - which engine do you think is most user friendly, and if different, which one is the quickest? I guess it's between the two LS engines from Jett and Nelson? From your last post there Dave, it seems that perhaps the Nelson LS is tricky to set up right? Or am I just reading the wrong inference into your post...

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Z

daven 10-23-2008 08:19 AM

It has only been "tricky" because it was different than what we were use to with the short strokes. We were trying to treat the LS motors like they were SS motors and it doesn't work.

Different animals, but now that we've had some time to play with them, they are not all that different, they just like slightly different head/sleeve settings and needle differently. Different areas of the Country are running them slightly different, with different props.

I still am not use to launching at times 2000 off peak rpm, listening to the motor gurgling and burping on the line prior to the start of the race, and HOPING it will jump on the pipe at launch is not re-assuring.

As to what will run on FAI fuel, I have NO idea. I would suggest contacting both Dubb Jett, and Dave Shadel and having the discussion with them.

jaka 10-23-2008 09:52 AM

Hi!
The Nelson Q-500 engines SS and new LS are set up to run well on 10-15% nitro.
I hope you Brits will use the same fuel the Americans use or that we in Sweden ( 10% nitro 17% all synthetic oil) so that we can have the same equipment and not be divided again by 80/20 fuel. These engines run much better on 10-15% nitro. And nitro is easily obtainable in most all European countries.
By using 80/20 fuel you have to special order a Nelson or JETT engine and you can't use the same APC props that we or the american use..and not compare flight times.
Why not use the same fuel?

djlyon 10-23-2008 11:02 AM

Z
The Nelsons, Jetts and Profis run fine on FAI fuel but need to be set up for it. I believe Performance sells them to the Europeans set up for Q500 over there. This year a Eurocup for Q500 was started and know the Brits are in it. I don't know what the British web site is but I know there is one. Following is the German site. Ask them questions in English and you will get answers in English including the correct contacts in England.

Denis

oops forgot the web site

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Zimodile 10-24-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
The Nelson Q-500 engines SS and new LS are set up to run well on 10-15% nitro.
I hope you Brits will use the same fuel the Americans use or that we in Sweden ( 10% nitro 17% all synthetic oil) so that we can have the same equipment and not be divided again by 80/20 fuel. These engines run much better on 10-15% nitro. And nitro is easily obtainable in most all European countries.
By using 80/20 fuel you have to special order a Nelson or JETT engine and you can't use the same APC props that we or the american use..and not compare flight times.
Why not use the same fuel?

Does seem a bit daft - but who's "right" ;) Did you know that our course is slightly different too! We run the FAI course, which I believe is wider at the base pylons than the US course.

Z

djlyon 10-24-2008 12:35 PM

oops forgot the web site.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

The European course is 4 km. The US course is 2.5 miles. That's a difference of about 60 ft total. The 2 & 3 pylons are 100 ft apart on the US course and about 40 meters on the Euro course

Denis