RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Spickler Quickie 500 Laser Kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8472361-spickler-quickie-500-laser-kit.html)

BobHH 02-13-2009 11:29 AM

Spickler Quickie 500 Laser Kit

1 Attachment(s)
OK Guys, As promised here she is. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a precision laser cut short kit of the Spickler Quickie 500. This one is drawn to exact scale with a few minor internal changes to take advantage of the laser technology. I’m not sure of the cost as of yet but will continue on this project if enough interest is generated. I've included what the laser file would look like and what would be supplied. You supply all the balsa sheeting, Landing gear and leading and trailing edge stock. Let me know what you think!!

Bob Harris

PS Unfortunately the drawings do not show up very well. I need to do some work to revise them to show.

wjvail 02-13-2009 07:53 PM

RE: Spickler Quickie 500 Laser Kit

Wow does that bring back memories!!! I still remember my Spickler 500. I could barely fly and my knees were shaking with my OS 35S roaring (puring) up front for that first flight.

I'd be very interested in a kit when they become available. How do I order one!

Bill

Kevin Matney 02-13-2009 08:52 PM

Looks great , What is the price????

BarryReade 02-13-2009 09:19 PM

Bob, I am interested also.

BobHH 02-13-2009 09:46 PM

I'll send the file over to my laser cutter and see what he will price them at and will let you guys know.

Thanks,

Bob Harris

tIANci 02-13-2009 11:49 PM

Bob ... does it go overseas too? :)

BobHH 02-14-2009 07:19 PM

Let me see. I've shipped overseas before with the kit business but I need to check size limits.

Bob Harris

BobHH 03-03-2009 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Guys, got the laser cutting in last week. Just been so busy I have not taken a good look at it until last night. Looks great but I need to cut some leading and trailing edge stock and put it together. It may be after the test run on the 14th at Old Julian airport as I've got several racers to get ready. Anyway here is some pictures of the laser sheets. I made a few slight mods as scribing the bulkhead locations on the fuselage sides as well as making 1 piece 1/8 plywood parts for the hatch supports instead of several parts. Stay tuned more to come!!!:D

Bob Harris

wjvail 03-03-2009 10:42 AM

Very nice! I'm in! Are you going to take sales via PayPal?

Bill

BobHH 03-03-2009 11:49 AM

Well, I want to make sure of the fit of everything before taking any orders. I’m also trying to find out the best way to offer it. My thoughts are either a complete kit (which could be expensive) or offer just the laser cutting along with a set of CAD plans.

The leading and trailing edge needs to be sawed to proper shape as well as the hardwood landing gear blocks so I may include them also. The landing gear is out of 5/32 wire and I would have to modify my wire forming tooling to form it so I really was hoping not to go that far. The rest is just stock balsa and hardwood sizes which can be purchased from several sources.

How about some input from you guys on what you would like.

Bob Harris

BarryReade 03-03-2009 12:30 PM

I would like the laser cuttings, plans, and a list of wood/items needed to complete the kit. I will probably get two of those kits depending on the price.

exocet-RCU 03-03-2009 03:45 PM

I second that.

BarryReade 03-13-2009 08:28 AM

Bump!! What happening with the kit Bob? Have you decided on how you are going to make it? IMWTK?

BobHH 03-14-2009 09:27 PM

Well guys, just got back into the country last night and been pondering the kit offer. Seeing how not too many people are interested in the old Spickler 500 and I kind of only want to kit my own designs I was thinking of another approach.

After looking at the numbers and price of shipping, plans and boxes, etc the price is getting a bit high. I was wondering if it would be easier just to offer the laser cut file free to anyone who wants a kit. I would just e-mail you the laser file in AutoCAD and either send you the file for the CAD plans I’ve drawn up or you could pull the file off of Don Stegall’s website and have them printed at you local Kinkos. You can send the cut file to any of the various laser cutters and have as many cut as you want. I will even supply the build of material to finish up the kit.

Or better yet I could modify the cut files for just the fuselage parts and you can get Don to cut you a wing out.

What do you think? I’m sure it would be a bit cheaper and everyone would same a little. Let me know what you would like.

Thanks,

Bob Harris

BarryReade 03-14-2009 10:09 PM

Well, being the old Geezer I am, and wanting a low wing, slight dihedral, and conventional tail feathers the GSQ really fits the bill. If I could atleast get lazer cut parts for four of them and the plans and finishing list I will buy them. If I have to run down and find all the folks to do that seperately forget it. If you can quote me a price Bob I will give you answer immediately. If it is cost prohibitive I understand. Let me know.

DonStegall 03-15-2009 06:40 AM

I'm working with a laser cutter (SIG) on another kit. As soon as I get the quote, I will find out if doing this kit is viable or not.

BobHH 03-15-2009 07:36 AM

Barry (Marauderer), exocet-RCU, wjvail I have PMed you the price of the laser cutting and a list of the additional items needed to finish the build. I forgot to add 5/32 wire for the stock landing gear. Let me know what you guys want to do.

Thanks,

Bob Harris

wjvail 03-15-2009 04:28 PM

Bob... I got your message and replied via PM. I'm certainly in. I flew one of these years ago and would love to have another. The price seems more than fair. I hope you and others that undertake a project like this, charge enough to make it worth your time and effort. I expect to pay for the work you've put into this.

Just let me know where to send funds and a total.

Bill

BobHH 03-16-2009 09:34 AM

Bill, Wjval, as soon as I hear something from Barry I will get a laser order together.

Thanks,

Bob Harris

goplaneman 03-29-2009 02:24 PM

Are you going to be selling the Kits?

BobHH 03-29-2009 08:42 PM

Goplaneman, Sorry, [:o] I put in an order for 10 laser cut short kits last week. All are spoken for already. These kits include all the laser cut parts only and I supply a list of the additional materials needed to complete and a set of my CAD plans. I may make another run in the future if there is enough interest.

Bob Harris

j13ohn 04-03-2009 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Goplaneman, Sorry, [:o] I put in an order for 10 laser cut short kits last week. All are spoken for already. These kits include all the laser cut parts only and I supply a list of the additional materials needed to complete and a set of my CAD plans. I may make another run in the future if there is enough interest.

Bob Harris
I just bought one from the Neat Fair this past September. It is a lazer kit. In the box was only the wood, I have nothing to go b y on how to put it together. Could someone help me on this. Thank you John Vetter from rochester New York. [email protected]

tnowicki 04-20-2009 04:31 PM

take a look at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4857389/tm.htm

There are some pictures of the plans.. it's a pretty straightforward build. I plan on completing a kit that I started in 1977! Brings back memories...

BarryReade 04-21-2009 12:27 PM

Yes, I am an old timey kinda guy also. I ordered four of Bob's GSQ 500 kits and they have arrived. Originally I had planned on just building two for 424 racing and using the other two as sport flyers but looking at the great laser cutting I think I will set them all up for 424 racing. I guess I will build all four on a assembly line and should be somewhat quicker than one at a time.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...08_CMK6P-L.jpg

rcpil0t 04-15-2011 03:21 PM

Back in the 70's, I was into pylon, racing 1/2-A, quickie 500 and Formula I. The 1/2A and Q500 were the most fun!

As for the Spickler Quickie not being "competitive", I strongly disagree. When everyone is flying the same plane/engine EVERY plane is competitive, which was the reason for creating the class in the first place. So long as your plane fit the specs and your engine was a standard K&B .40 R/C with exhaust baffle, running the same fuel, everyone had an equal chance at winning...based on pilot skill! For my money, that's what racing is all about.

Now the q500's are flying as fast as my old Formula I L'il Toni did back then. In fact the QM's are running faster!!

Class (or club) racing is PURE racing. Now, with BNF radios, it would be fun to check all the planes in to impound, then draw to see which one you're racing for each heat! That would truly remove the need to "finesse" the rules. Try that at your club!

Go fast, turn left and keep it out of the dirt!! Happy landing!!

Steve Streeper
Arco, Idaho
AMA42955