RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   The Katz Meow (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8534961-katz-meow.html)

DonStegall 03-02-2009 09:47 AM

The Katz Meow

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a number of messages about the Katz Meow by Jim Katz since I published the plans on www.Quickie500.com … Some were asking about construction techniques, others about a kit.

On Saturday 2/28/2009, I obtained the rights from Jim Katz to produce the Katz Meow in kit form.

The kit will be available soon. Within a week or two. Jim provided me with the molds he was using to make the sides of the fuselage. The sides are made from balsa, fiberglass, and balsa, laminated in a vacuum. I plan to add some basswood on the inside of the front if it works out. The molds are pictured below. Even though the sides are pre-formed, I will jig build the fuselage and it will be framed up. The sheeting will be on the bottom. You will be able to add triangle stock in the corners for rounding the corners and for extra strength. The Katz Meow uses the 66-012 airfoil.

The price of the kit will be $100 with a foam core for the wing. With my [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/SheetedWings/66012/66012.aspx]Standard Wing[/link], the price will be $150. Plus shipping for either. The page at [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/KatzMeow/KatzMeow.aspx]Katz Meow[/link] will be updated as more information becomes available.

I will be doing a build thread here on the Katz Meow from the kit version. You can view the plans at [link=http://www.quickie500.com/uploads/KatzMeow/KatxMeowPreliminary.pdf]KatxMeowPreliminary.pdf[/link]

djlyon 03-03-2009 05:01 PM

RE: The Katz Meow

1 Attachment(s)
What I really need is a laser cut kit and sheeted, carbon reinforced wing for a Thunder Quickie. Or plans if nothing else.

This one was so cool and it ran with the modern V tail stuff. Alas it died in the desert in Phoenix.

Kevin Matney 03-03-2009 05:57 PM

Does this fuse meet AMA rules??????
This from the AMA rules just sent to me by Duane Gall
c. Fuselage.
1) Depth: Minimum 3-1/2 inches at its deepest point, which must occur within the wing chord.
2) Width: Minimum 2-7/8 inches at its widest point, which must occur within the wing chord. Width and depth points need not coincide.
3) Cross-section: The fuselage shall have a simple, rectangular “box” cross-section with a maximum radius of 1/4 inch at the corners. Diamond-shaped cross sections are prohibited. Fillets or fairings between the fuselage and wing are prohibited. Canopies and turtle decks are acceptable but shall not be included in width or depth measurements. The front firewall shall be a rectangular, flat plate measuring at least 2-1/4 inches by 2-1/4 inches. The perimeter of the front firewall may be rounded to a maximum radius of 1/4 inch.

DonStegall 03-03-2009 06:04 PM

It's just as legal as your Dawg Gone It. It meets all of the dimensional requirements and is contructed of wood. It is a rectangular box shape for the entire length of the fuselage.

In my opinion. :)

DonStegall 03-03-2009 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: djlyon

What I really need is a laser cut kit and sheeted, carbon reinforced wing for a Thunder Quickie. Or plans if nothing else.

This one was so cool and it ran with the modern V tail stuff. Alas it died in the desert in Phoenix.

Denis,

The Smasher can easily be built as a T-tail. The stab saddle is at 0 degrees and all you do is put a piece of 1/4" filler in the stab saddle. I can draw up plans for a T-tail. I designed it for a bolt-on V-tail, a conventional tail, or a T-tail, or anything else anybody wants to do with it.

djlyon 03-03-2009 06:27 PM

Thanks Don but as I said in my PM it would miss the point. I can build any of my quickies with a T tail.

Kevin the Thunder is to the old Calzona rules. The fuselage is good to the current rules but you have to be careful with the wing. Then the requirement was 1 and 1/8. I built mine to 1 and 3/16 and hit it over the full span.

Denis

HighPlains 03-03-2009 08:28 PM

Looks perfectly legal to my eyes Kevin. Has the basic bottom view that all of you have copied to some extent, with a very interesting twist to the height requirement. And if you have ever read up on the AR-5 design (homebuilt speed record holder) and some of it's techniques on drag reduction, Jim Katz may be on to something.

This is the beauty of quickie. A very simple set of rules that allow interesting experiments.

Some that actually work.

DonStegall 03-04-2009 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I made a fuselege side. I deviated from Jim Katz' normal procedure and I added a basswood insert at the front on the inside. I may do 1/16" plywood in the future.

The sides are 1/16" balsa, a layer of glass cloth, and another layer of 1/16" balsa. In reality the outer layer of balsa was only about 0.050".

As this was a test piece, I tried some stuff. I had a 10 yard roll of 6 ounce cloth I had ordered by mistake. It is a very tight weave and it is not suitable for regular fuselage lay-ups. Jim had used 3 ounce cloth, but the aomunt of area is so small, I decided that the heavier cloth may be fine. I also used WEST SYSTEM 105/205 which I had said I have no use for. It only has a 12 minute pot life. That was plenty for doing a side. The benefit is that it is dark red, and when I took the part out, I could see where epoxy had come through the balsa. So I can use less epoxy next time.

The side is not heavy though. It feels strong. Even if I had used lighter glass, I think that would have saved a max of half an ounce per side. It will take some trials to find out.

This plane is not for the claustrophobic. Jim actually built the tank in on his. Non-removable. You can use a CG tank, but it will be in a slanted position.

This plane is for people who want to try something different. Fitting the equipment (along with the wing hold downs) is a little challenge, but once you get it figured out, you'll probably build more. It is a fast airplane from the initial results.

DonStegall 03-04-2009 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to know how much the fuselage side weighed. So I rough cut it on the band saw.

It weighs 1.1 ounces. I don't think the 6 ounce cloth added more than a tenth or so and the side is very stiff for what it is.

I will probably stay with the basswood and extend it from 6" to 8" just so the front wing hold down is fully supported by it.

The Smasher is still my main stream offering. But this plane is a cool option. Some people have asked about other kits listed on my Q-500 kits page. Yes, there are even more kits coming.

Bill Vargas 03-04-2009 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup it a cool looking fuse :D

I bagged 1/32 ply all the way into the servo bay, had to lay the throttle servo on its side and the 2 3121 servos just fit. Now what was really cool was how the exhaust trail was non-existant until after the hump where it re-attached itself to the fuse,,, never did try a different colored oil to see how the air was moving before the hump. It flew well and was stable when using a SS engine,,, never did get around to hanging a LS on it tho. There are no bulkheads in this fuselage and it was fiber glassed with a couple of clear urethane coats and then rubbed out a little.

BV

dhal22 08-06-2009 08:26 PM

has anyone finished one of these planes?

DonStegall 08-07-2009 05:46 AM

Yes. Jim Katz and Mike Langlois have built them and raced them. And they have done well with them.

If you need building advice, I can send you Jim's email address.

Others have gotten fuselage sides and may have some input for you. But it has been racing season and I doubt if much building has been happening.

dhal22 08-07-2009 04:36 PM

i hope to start mine in the near future Don. thx for the short kit.