RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Rubber Duck Antenna for Futaba 9C Trans: (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8595860-rubber-duck-antenna-futaba-9c-trans.html)

Electriceddie 03-19-2009 08:52 PM

Rubber Duck Antenna for Futaba 9C Trans:

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Anybody have any recomendation as to the use of these antennas? I was thinking of getting one to try and keep from whipping people. Please share any of your stories good or bad. Are these antennas ok to replace the stock antenna with? I have a Futaba 9C Super Trans with assorted Hitec and Futaba receivers.

************************************************** ***********************************

RC Power Duck Antenna
[07250A] $25.00

Click to enlarge
Tired of replacing broken telescoping antennas? The New R/C Power Duck from Smiley Antenna offers a flexible antenna with quick release. It's flexibility takes the strain off the controller and eliminates costly replacement of the easily broken telescopic antenna. Customers have used our antennas on planes, robots, helicopters, and boats. However through field testing we no longer recommend it for Pistol Grip R/C car transmitters, nor have we tested the antenna on the robots or boats. EACH UNIT IS HAND MADE AND HAND TUNED FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. 12" Including Base. This antenna comes with adapter to fit your transmitter

Available Options:
Color: RedBlackBlueYellow
Frequency: 50 MHZ72 MHZ75 MHZ
Transmitter: Universal Adapter Kit BNC quick disconnect featureNew Upgraded Universal Adapter Kit with TNC Threaded Disconnect (+$5.00)

Thanks

Ed

vicman 03-19-2009 09:53 PM

RE: Rubber Duck Antenna for Futaba 9C Trans:

I have a yellow one on my 9C. So simple it's stupid to worry about.
They need to charge $50 so people will think it really works.
I got mine so I wouldn't hit my caller while turning circles inside the pylons.

The work great.;)

Electriceddie 03-20-2009 01:17 PM

Hey Vicman,

Yea same problem here I keeping whipping my son. I think he believes I am doing it on purpose some time when we are behind slightly, but I am not. Its still kinda funny to see his reaction. I don't think its a matter of hurting so much as it is startling to get smack in the calves when you don't expect it. My real concern is breaking the Damn antenna off. I wouln't want to do that while I am crossing the finish line in first place.

LOL

Ed

daven 03-20-2009 01:29 PM

They are a good idea if you are not using 2.4 (which are even better).

I had a heat in Muncie a few years ago, where as I was making my turn around #3 on the first lap, someone was trying to run by me back to their pilot. He ran right through my antenna, when the heat was over, the antenna had a 45 degree bend in it, about half way down. I was not happy.

Thankfully, it still worked, although I had to replace it before the next heat. Started traveling with a spare antenna after that.

vicman 03-20-2009 03:31 PM

Yep, It was the first thing I bought after flying the three pole course the first time.

I was in a hobby shop yesterday where they showed me the spectrum module that will clip right into the 9C. Module and rx for $110, I think I'm going to be getting one soon.:eek:

daven 03-20-2009 05:06 PM

The RX's alone are about $100 so that sounds like a good deal.

You will love the small size of these Futaba 2.4 receivers.

PylonDave 03-20-2009 05:19 PM

I Bought a Fasst 7c yesterday at tower and they are giving you an extra reciever for free!!

vicman 03-20-2009 09:22 PM

Dave,
The 4 ch rx was $49

This is Spektrum not Fast.

daven 03-20-2009 09:43 PM

Well, good luck with that :)

I prefer the faast stuff myself.

vicman 03-21-2009 07:55 PM

Wow, that was a painfully simple retort.:eek:

Electriceddie 03-22-2009 12:53 AM

Hi All.

Well the RubberDuck Antenna came in the mail.

***** 2 questions. *****

1. While setting up a plane for example. Do I need to attach the antenna while working on the plane while its sits on the workbemch? or do I have to connect the antenna? I seem to remember reading somewhere that having the radio turned ON for extened periods of time can cause some kind of freq. tuning or de-tuning issue or in some way possibly do some damage to the ttransmitters output circut or some thing like that. In short is it OK to set up a plane on the workbench without the antenna connected?

2. My BNC twist connector that connects the antenna to the transmitter seems kind of loose when attached, is this normal? Is this OK?

Thanks

Ed

fizzwater2 03-22-2009 10:41 AM

for a few minutes, it's probably ok to operate without the antenna. Any longer than that, the output power transistor in the transmitter can get hot because of the improper load on it.

It would just be safer to go ahead and attach the antenna if you're going to be setting up controls, etc.

vicman 03-22-2009 08:15 PM

Do a range check first thing;)
Mine is a bit loose too. No worries

Electriceddie 03-22-2009 09:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I guess I should really use the Futaba DSC Cord 9CS that I bought a while back. I just tend to turn things on for a minute or two to make an adjustment , then I finish making the adjustment about 12- 15 minutes later. Time has a funny way of slipping away before you realize it sometines. I do test with the antenna on , but I guess I should use the Futaba DSC Cord 9CS. The real concern I had was the BNC connector seem to be kind of loose.

Thanks for the input guys...........

Ed

vicman 03-22-2009 10:15 PM

Yer good.
I think the biggest problem guys have with not using the antena is on sims. It's been a while since someone complained about that problem.
I don't put the ducky on when setting up in the shop but it's the first thing I hook up after taking the pin at the field.

Electriceddie 03-23-2009 10:21 AM

Hey There,

I was thinking most likely I don't connect the Futaba DSC Cord 9CS either is because the receiver is generally buried in foam in the fuse somewhere. It's a pain to dig it out and connect just to make a 2 min adjustment, but then the other side of the coin is that 2mins usually turns into 10 to 12 mins. LOL....

Ed

BUDMAN27 03-26-2009 08:52 PM

When I first started racing Q-500 with the big boys down here in the south. Dubb Jett told us that we couldn,t use these antenas. His reason was because if a person walks back to the pits with the radio on and antena down it will not have enough power to shot someone down. If someone has a rubberduck antena on their radio it will still have enough power to shot someone down.Just thought I would share that with you.;)

vicman 03-26-2009 08:55 PM

If the duck is on yes, it is still a full range antena.
If you take it off, 2 second deal, you are the same as if your antena is collapsed...at least thats how I understand it.

Electriceddie 04-29-2009 01:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I finally got out to the field and got some flights in. I first tested the range and flew a sport plane (Cap580) then I flew the Viper 500 the following weekend and put several flights on each and it worked GREAT!!!!!! I love the small "Rubber Ducky". The only thing I can say bad is the locking BNC on the base is not as tight as one may think it should be. But is has not come off and that's a good thing........

Ed