Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Quadra 40?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quadra 40?

Hi Folks,
    I just inherited a Quadra engine (Serial #406843) that I think is about 40cc. Can anyone tell me more about this engine? (i.e., Year of manufacturer, Gas to Oil Ratio, etc.) Alas, there was not a manual to be found with it, so I am an amatuer running blind. Not a good feeling, huh? I am considering cleaning it up and putting it on a third scale Modeltech J-3 Cub. The muffler is of Bennett make. The muffler ports have been reattached with something like JB weld and are loose. If I can find out more about this engine, I would like to order another Bennett Pitts style muffler for it. I looked at the Q-A website and didn't see anything that looked similar to this motor for it's size. Muffler is in the back with the spark plug port between the muffler ports, not on the side like I saw in the website. I haven't found much in the way of information during my Internet browsings either. Thanks in advance for any help offered........Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Quadra 40?

Hey Mark, the engine you describe seem to be the same as I have. Look at the picture below and tell me...
    mine is a Q42 from the old days before it became Quadra-Aerrow (Klaus Novak is the man behind it).

It's the very same engine that was later produced (guess it still is in production) by US Engines.

I had aonther one in, guess what, exactly an 1/3 Scale CUB, I am posting the pix. With that engine the 32-Pound Model was definitely underpowered, but that is the way CUBs should fly...on the wing, not on the engine. To get a loop done I had to dive first to get enough airspeed, and even then it became more an "e" than a round loop...
    That CUB was scratchbuilt from factory plans. I don't know who built it, I sort of owned (flew) it for 5 years then returned it to the poriginal owner who sold it to someone else.
    Guess the Modeltech CUB is a little lighter than mine was.

The engine is a good one, I always built my own mufflers. since the original one was made of some metalllich shelves with louvers on the rear...leftover from the chainsaw days...
    Mine always drove a 20x8 with relative authority. At some point I purchased a recoil spring starter from US Engines, but it never worked properly. I had adapt a bushing on the rear shaft, since the original, chainsaw-converted engines had a 3/8" shaft and the newer, US-Engines had a 1/2" shaft.

I used to use 50:1 mixture and never had a major trouble getting the engine to run.

Any questions please let me know. I am a fan of Quadras, just awaiting another one (a 50) to arrive for my 30% Super Decathlon (look at the 33% Wendell Hostettler SD thread).

Marcus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47641.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	914045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql35495.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	914046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg92761.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	914047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rk23950.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	914048  
    A good landing is one you could walk away from. A spectacular landing is when the airplane is reusable...!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Sir,
    This is the same engine I have. Mine has a Bennet Muffler and spring starter. My prop hub is not exactly like yours, but the motor geography is the same. Thanks for responding and giving me all the info. I wish you still had the 1/3 Scale, I would have bought it from you..(lol)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi
    i have one of these i got from a old time flyer who pass 2 years ago ,couldnt get it to run so i send it back to b&b and he tune it and got it running good it has a prop and nose cone and a smoke muffler and a bb smoker system ,now that i am into rc boats i would like to sell it ,it is in ex conditon b&b did a great job how much would it worth

thanks rye