Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pick my next plane..... Nitro first.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pick my next plane..... Nitro first.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick my next plane..... Nitro first.

I've been flying two different Electric trainers. E flight Apprentice 15e and a nitroplanes Cessna 182.
I'm super comfortable with the controls and am itching to do more with a plane.
I have an O.S..40 engine, Electric starter, glow plug ignitor, servo's and some misc. parts/pieces so I'm ready to jump into a Nitro powered plane.
I don't want to buy a basic high wing trainer since that is what I have BUT I do want something that is controllableand somewhat easy to fly with the ability to throw it around a little.
Below arethe planes I like and that my motor will work on (I think)... Have you flown any of these models and which one do you suggest for someone withbasicexperienceand a little inverted flying thrown in there too??

http://www.rcplanet.com/GP_Big_Stik_40_ARF_MonoKote_p/gpma1220.htm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_516_693/products_id/62819/n/Hangar-9-Saratoga-40-ARF

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Special-50-ARF

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...2-Airplane-Kit

http://www.rcplanet.com/GP_U_Can_Do_...p/gpma1269.htm

http://www.rcplanet.com/Funstar_3D_4...p/pmma0335.htm

Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pick my next plane..... Nitro first.

All are decent airplanes but I would got for the Stik. Maybe the Saratoga as a second choice. The others are more advanced and you'd really want more engine for them. Stiks are just great flying, all around fun airplanes.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Ditto what Chuck said.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
hugger-4641

Two more planes you might consider that would also work fine with your engine are the Hangar Nine Pulse xt .40 and the Great Planes Escapade.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

All of the above are good advice. I would stay away from the U-Can-Do and the last one your list as they both are a bit "tender" and don't fair well with rough landings. When a pilot moves up from his trainer the "second plane" often takes more abuse than the trainer did because the pilot really starts learning a lot of things with their second plane, and usually the second plane gets banged around a bit.

Ken
Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

Two more planes you might consider that would also work fine with your engine are the Hangar Nine Pulse xt .40 and the Great Planes Escapade.
These are great for second planes and throw the Stik and Four Star in there and you have four great choices. The Escapade is a better priced plane at around 100. A guy at our field has one and it is a great flyer. It is a bit smaller than the Pulse. The Pulse is much more pricey at around 189.

I have the Pulse XT 40 with a 55 AX and have put around 200 flights on it. I have beefed it up slightly and really run this plane through the mill. Flew it about another eight or ten flights today. It is simply one of my favorites, if not my most favorite all around fun plane.

Don't think you would go wrong with any of the above
Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

These are both great planes!! TheEscapade is lighter and might work better with my little O.S. 40, what do you think? AND, the price is Right with the Escapade....

So as far as Servo's.... I've got 3 Futaba 3003's and about 6 sub micro servo's that are no names. What would you guys suggest for Servo's?
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

All are decent airplanes but I would got for the Stik. Maybe the Saratoga as a second choice. The others are more advanced and you'd really want more engine for them. Stiks are just great flying, all around fun airplanes.
This would be my recommendations also. Ihave a Saratoga 40 with a TT Pro-46 and it is a wonderful flying model but not a first glow if you aren't used to tail draggers. Fast with the .46 but slows down nicely.Wheel pants can complicate a grass take-off and landing, also.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

This would be my recommendations also. Ihave a Saratoga 40 with a TT Pro-46 and it is a wonderful flying model but not a first glow if you aren't used to tail draggers. Fast with the .46 but slows down nicely.Wheel pants can complicate a grass take-off and landing, also.
I have wheel pants on my Cessna, the only bad thing on it is that I can't add bigger tires for grass like I did on my Apprentice.
I like the Stik but I really don't want another tricycle, or what I mean to say is I want to "expand" my experiences. I think the Escapade is the one!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't seen an Escapade but the reviews are good.  The price is right - half of a Saratoga!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 PM
CGCINC

I just ordered the Escapade along with all the other needed things to complete it. I went ahead and bought the Futaba 3004 servo's since they have more torque and are not as heavy as my old 3003's.
I'm pretty excited to get this, all the reviews I've read sound like its a pretty nice plane to fly!?!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

I just ordered the Escapade along with all the other needed things to complete it. I went ahead and bought the Futaba 3004 servo's since they have more torque and are not as heavy as my old 3003's.
I'm pretty excited to get this, all the reviews I've read sound like its a pretty nice plane to fly!?!
If I were you, I would go to the Escapade thread and study it carefully. There are some mods you may want to perform on the plane. Most everyone will imply that there are some small mods that you need to do and then you will have a longer lasting plane. I even read that there were some changes on the later model Escapades, but do check it out to make sure. It can be the difference between long life and early flight failure.

Glow is definitely a different beast so it is wise to make all the right moves with your new plane.

Good flying
Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
summerwind

another vote for the Stik.....has a nice lite wing loading to learn tail dragger landings too..............make provions to switch to a tail dragger while building it too....................this will make a fun all around and very forgiving model that'll set you up to advance quickly.

did you know that the Ugly Stik was originally designed by Phil Kraft as a trainer for pylon racing?

use to be a 20 size model that the guys strapped the K&B 40 RR engines too. even did a VTO with em...........
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
summerwind

oops....i see you already made up your mind.
keep the escalade as light as possible................to me the wing loading is not what i would go for as a second plane.
good luck
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: summerwind

oops....i see you already made up your mind.
keep the escalade as light as possible................to me the wing loading is not what i would go for as a second plane.
good luck
Appreciate it though.... I'm trying to keep it as light as possible, Mainly because my little .40LA doesn't seem to have a ton of power. A local guy has a .46 on one of his little plane and Man that engine sounds strong!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, I was wondering what KIND of OS 40 because it makes a huge difference. Yes, the LA is not very powerful, but it is quite light. This is very confusing to beginners. An OS 40 FX or AX would be much more powerful, and would weigh about 5 oz more than your LA, so they are completely different engines. So if you don't know this and you're reading engine recommendations of ".40 to .51", then you have no way of knowing that your 40 LA might be marginal and require nose weight to balance on one plane, like a Saratoga or Big Stick, while a 46 AX could make a plane like the Escapade faster and heavier than you would want at your stage. Sounds like you hit on a good combo.

Jim
Old 09-20-2010, 03:33 PM
CGCINC

It's a 40LA.... I've been looking for a "Tuned" exhaust or something to give it a little more power but I don't seem to find anything except the Pitts style.

So now I get it, well, a little better... The .46 I was talking about on a local guys plane is an O.S..46FX. Totally different puppy
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
landeck

I have been flying the Escapade with a Magnum .46 XLS in it and it is a great plane. But there is one thing you are going to have to watch out for using a 40 LA and that is the Escapade tend to be tail heavy and the 40 LA is a light engine. With the Magnum .46 I had to place the battery over the fuel tank. What ever you do balance it where the instructions say or it will be a short lived plane. One thing you might do is move the engine as far forward as the engine mount allows as a starting point.

Bruce
Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: landeck

I have been flying the Escapade with a Magnum .46 XLS in it and it is a great plane. But there is one thing you are going to have to watch out for using a 40 LA and that is the Escapade tend to be tail heavy and the 40 LA is a light engine. With the Magnum .46 I had to place the battery over the fuel tank. What ever you do balance it where the instructions say or it will be a short lived plane. One thing you might do is move the engine as far forward as the engine mount allows as a starting point.

Bruce
Thanks for the advice... I do have a "heavy" aluminum engine mount that I could use, I'm sure it's much heavier than the plastic mounts!?!?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM
hugger-4641

Ditto what Landeck said. And yes I would try the aluminum mount if it is heavier. I had to move my battery and Rx as far foward as I could. I had a TT .40 Pro on my Escapade and it flew excellent. More than enough power and plenty of vertical. But that TT .40 pro was almost as strong as a Magnum .46 xls, no kidding. Your .40 La is going to be more of a scale performer. Plenty of power to fly and do most sport aerobatics, but you will have to "fly the wing", meaning: don't slow down too much and expect to throttle out of it in a hurry, but I think you are going to love this plane.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
CGCINC

Hey guys...

I recieved my Escapade today and I can't wait to fly it!

I have a question though..... On the box they recommend an O.S. 55AX ABL or an O.S. 56FS. I'm a little worried about my O.S. 40LA having enough power?
Should I buy a new motor?

EDIT: They also recommend in the book a Supertigre GS-45BB
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
landeck

The 40 LA should fly it fine. The problem is that the Escapada tends to be tail heavy and the 40 LA is a light engine. Move as far forward on the motor mounts as you can with it still looking good. Then you may have to move the battery under or over the fuel tank. If it is still tail heavy, you will have to add weight to the nose.

Bruce
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
SMOKEFAN

Another Vote for the stick with a TTPro46. The great thing about sticks is you can fly them forever. They never get old or boring.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

Another Vote for the stick with a TTPro46. The great thing about sticks is you can fly them forever. They never get old or boring.
I definitely love the "red Baron look" stik.... That will be one of my planes I'm sure!