Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solartex

I have experiences with Ultra, Mono and I guess "China-Kote, if that's the proper name for it?[&:]

I'm looking at the Solartex on the BUSA website and I'm wondering what you people think of it? Does it have the same shrinking properties similar to Ultra, or is it more like Mono? How does it hold up in the sun? And last, I'd like to ask if I can workout wrinkles like I can with Ultra? I'd also like to read the pro and cons if their are any from any of you who has worked with it.

I thank you all for your time.

Pete
Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Solartex

When it first came out, they advertised you could cover a tennis ball with one piece. I bet somebody $20 (a fair amount back then) it was possible and won the bet.

Lots of coverings that would work that easy also had problems with strength. I'm looking at a wing I solartexed back in the 80s that's leaning against the wall beside this desk. It's still good to go and looks decent. Of course, it's a glider wing and gliders can last a LONNNGGGGG time.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah.... I have not bought or covered anything with it since the 90s.

Where did you say you got it?

..... OH..... "BUSA" is BalsaUSA............ ok, I just found it. Fairly expensive isn't it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Oh yeah.... I have not bought or covered anything with it since the 90s.

Where did you say you got it?

..... OH..... ''BUSA'' is BalsaUSA............ ok, I just found it. Fairly expensive isn't it.

Yes, but what isn't these days when you want a good product. Is the covering more on the flat or semi-gloss side? I'm recovering my fokker with the black. How does it hold up in the sun or warm car? One of the things I hated about Ultra is I'm constantly attacking it with a iron. I guess it's because it was a ARF and it was not covered right at the factory.

Pete
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Augie11

Solartex is great stuff. It shrinks better than the plastics and can be applied wrinkle-free with a minimum of effort. Some claim it is necessary to coat it with a clear coat to protect it from fuel/dirt. I don't agree...just clean up after each day's flights. Handles sun well and, if it does sag, can be easily reshrunk with either an iron or a heat gun.

Some of the lighter colors are not very opaque. Keep in mind it has a very fabric-like look which may not be appropriate for your particular application unless you intend to paint over it to obtain a glossy finish. Can be cut into graphics and applied over itself without bubbles.

Yes, it's pricey. But for the right airplane it's more than worth it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I covered a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth using it.
Applies very similar to ultra, mono, solarfilm... in fact I just treated it the same as I would any shrink film.
I has held up very well... I sealed the edges with thin CA, nothing has loosed up.
Working with it is quite easy as it's a great deal tougher than film. You can pull it, tough it around corners etc and give it more heat than film.

There are other more scale/sophisticated fabric covering systems available today.
Having said that, if your looking for a real good, simple sports scale covering... its very OK.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is great stuff. It shrinks great and wrinkles do not reappear. The clear coat stops dirt and dust from getting into the pours of the covering, making it look dirty. I painted mine with latex paint and I am very pleased with the results. I would highly recommend it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

It's perhaps the best covering on the market. I use it in colors instead of painting, it's a matt finish and doesn't glare in the bright sun. I cover and remove the sags and wrinkles with an iron then set it out in the hot sun and remove any blems I may get. I cure it this way a couple of times and it is then ready to sit in the hot sun at shows for days on end without a sag. I spray on a clear coat to keep the stains out but I have been known to not clear coat it. The clear coat just makes clean up easier and better. It isn't a must do but it does help. Easiest covering I have ever worked with and there isn't enough weight difference between it or the plastics to worry about.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It's perhaps the best covering on the market. I use it in colors instead of painting, it's a matt finish and doesn't glare in the bright sun. I cover and remove the sags and wrinkles with an iron then set it out in the hot sun and remove any blems I may get. I cure it this way a couple of times and it is then ready to sit in the hot sun at shows for days on end without a sag. I spray on a clear coat to keep the stains out but I have been known to not clear coat it. The clear coat just makes clean up easier and better. It isn't a must do but it does help. Easiest covering I have ever worked with and there isn't enough weight difference between it or the plastics to worry about.
We had better stop telling folks how good this stuff is. If we keep it up you KNOW it will be discontinued!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Augie11

We had better stop telling folks how good this stuff is. If we keep it up you KNOW it will be discontinued!
Or the price will double!!! Not that it's cheap now.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A great covering and much easier to apply than any of the films. Also conforms to odd shapes much better than films. Bottom line: IMHO the best covering available.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Augie11

Or the price will double!!! Not that it's cheap now.

I know nothing!

Thanks guys, It's perfect for the project I'm working on right now. Mono and Ultra just isn't going to do it. Coverite 21st Century fabric might be too shiny for a WWI bird, so Solartex it is.

Pete
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my Balsa USA Fly baby Biplane (33% scale) covered with yellow SolarTex and painted with maroon paint.

I had applied a coat of clear water base polyurethane over everything to give ir a bit more shine .

I LOVE SolarTex!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19646.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1515895  
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Oberst
Banned

[X(] Wow, that plane is very attractive. Nice work Dick, from the picture you did a very good job.

Two more questions and then I'm done:

Is that Polytak that BUSA sells really needed, or can I just use the Solartex? I guess it's used to enhance the adhesive.

And do I still need to still use the "Woodpecker" to prep the balsa before laying Solartex down, or does the cloth fiber allow the trapped air to escape?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a short answer would be

No and No.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Oberst
Banned