Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

os 46 cutting out

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

os 46 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM
callsignMERLIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 46 cutting out

Pre-flight check the motor idles and powers up fine all the way to full throttle.. Taxi to runway and power up. Just overhalf throttle and when the plane is 15ft up the motor cuts out. Dead stall happend three times then I had enough.What could it be?

Bad fuel, high end needle valve? tried a new plug...

thanks Merlin
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: os 46 cutting out

Sounds like it is too lean . Open the hi-speed needle a little ,start it up ,go to high throttle & hold the plane straight up & see if it slows & quits . If it is OK try & fly it. If it quits then try some other flyers fuel & see how it works . Good luck , Max H.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:48 AM
callsignMERLIN

Max thanks for the reply just want to check that means the valve under the throttle control(on the carburator)needs to be turned counter clockwise correct?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Besides too lean I have seen this happen when the clunk is too close to the back of the tank. High speed needle is on the carb or could be remotely mounted on the back plate of the engine. Sounds like you could use a little experienced help and I urge you to seek out a local club or friendly hobby shop. Try the ama site for a club near you as some of them list instructors or maybe just contact one of the officers and give them a chance to help.
Fred
Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 AM
callsignMERLIN

fred thanks no more AMA clubs for me. plenty of places to fly for free. And its just been a little while since I tinkered with things been around glow enginges for quit some time thanks. just wanted to see if anyone hand an opinion about the stituation at hand not where i need to go for help..

The motor ran fine when I parked it so I know its not the tank.. I did mess with the carb a week back because the slide was stuck from sitting for so long and I did move the high end but thought I put it back to exact spot.. To lean would mean I need to richen it that means open the valve more correct? So to double chect that means counter clockwise right Fred or are you not sure and need to check with someone from your club? I am about to head to the local shop for some build parts and will ask but I think I can handle it..

Merlin

Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quess it might help if we knew what model of OS.46 you have . Don't make much difference though as the large needle on the side of the engine opposite the exhaust is the high speed one ,either mounted on the carb off on the rear of the engine . It is set only when the throttle is wide open . Max H. (Screw it out to richen.)
Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
callsignMERLIN

just went back to the factory settings and only took a half in on the high and its fine.. Was running it in the winter on a snow sled we rigged up must of forgoten about the changes i made.. thanks guys