Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Razor Plane?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
SirDank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Razor Plane?

Is a razor plane useful or just take up space? I'm thnking about ordering one and am not sure how handy it would come in or if there is a substitute I could find at a hardware store? I just hate ordering stuff when I could go buy it in person. Thank you. If it helps I am working on a Sig senior, but am also going to build a pt 40 from a kit.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Razor Plane?

A razor plane works okay for soft balsa wood. A much better unit is just about any small block plane you can get at most good hardware stores. They have a removable blade which can be sharpened quite easily as well as better adjustment mechanisms for depth of cut. A lifetime investment for you and your heirs. Several brands are available, Stanley being one of the better ones.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find a razor plane to be indispensible. As a matter of fact, I keep two on my bench with different depth of cut settings. Personally I use the Master Airscrew razor plane, it is cheap, has adjustable depth of cut and replacement blades are available.

Like any tool, you will have to learn how to use it. Always try to cut so the grain is trying to push you out of the cut instead of pull you in. Some people call it cutting "up hill" or "down hill". Basically if you're having trouble with a cut, try going from the other direction. Also try reducing the depth of the cut. And hold the plane so the blade is at an angle to the direction that you're pushing the plane. That helps the blade to make a shearing cut.

A good block plane like a Stanley has it's place and I use one when appropriate. But a razor plane is small, lightweight and is usually easier to handle when working with balsa. A block plane will also need to be sharpened instead of just replacing the blade. Not everybody has the tools or the know how to properly sharpen and set up a good plane.

The kits you mention probably have most of the shaping done and you may not use the plane very much. But when you need to shape something a plane is the best method. If you intend to stay in the hobby you will find yourself using a plane more and more as you build more advanced kits.

You won't ever be sorry for spending the $6.99 for a Master Airscrew razor plane and the $1.99 for three extra blades. And if there's a hobby shop anywhere around, you shouldn't have to order it.

Dave
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

I love mine for sculpting wing tips and rounding fuselages.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM
WCB

I use my razor plane a lot.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I love my razor plane. I fly it every chance I get.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If you plan on building smaller kits (.60 sized and under) you will find many kits use a solid piece of balsa for the leading edge of the wing, ie a 1" x 1/2" x 36" piece that must have the front corners trimmed off of the entire length to form the rounded leading edge . A razor plane is worth its weight in gold for "rough in" shaping of the LE on these smaller kits.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well worth having but I also have a couple of the small hand planes Rod mentioned. I usually find them in the grab bin at hardware stores for a buck or two.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
captjckirk

Kadet Sr. I've built 5 Sig Kadet Sr. kits over the years. The Master Air Screw razor plane is indespensable for shaping the nose cheeks, also for shaping the leading edges of the wing. As I re-call the plane and 3 blades was around $6.00. For that price I have 2. Don't be without at least one, you won't be sorry.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Red B.

As others have written, a good quality razor plane is very useful for shaping leading edges, rounding sharp corners etc. It will save you from a lot of tedious sanding.
An excellent alternative to a razor plane is a small [link=http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=01.255.36&dept_id=12938]japanese kanna[/link]. They are a little bit more difficult to maintain, but handles difficult wood much better.

A good quality block plane is a good investment, if you are serious about building aircraft. IMHO Stanley block planes are O.K. but you would be much happier with a good quality block plane from Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. The planes are not cheap, but it is a once in a lifetime investment.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

RAZOR PLANE [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i have this one... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA64&P=M building my first kit(US 40) would have been a lot harder....i used it for getting the rough shape to my leading eade, wig tip blocks(?) and cowl....IMO its a must have part of any builders tools

Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a must have. It will save many hours of sanding.

David
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Kaos Rulz

While a cutting plane works well, I prefer a 6 inch sureform.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this one:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....Trimming+Plane

Very adjustable and you can re-sharpen the iron as needed.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

I have this one:

I have the same one, excellent choice. The razor planes are okay for soft balsa but simply do not do the job with hard balsa or hardwood such as spruce or pine. With this one, you can adjust the depth of cut much easier and can keep a good sharp blade with little effort. I'm not knocking the razor plane, just note that it is limited in its ability to do a good job under all circumstances and is always better than nothing.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bax

I have this one:

About half an hour after reading your post, I was in Ace Hardware and picked one up. It seems to be a very nice little plane.

Bruce