Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pull-pull cable

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pull-pull cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull-pull cable

Does anyone know the thickness of [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD859&P=ML]4-40 pull pull cable[/link]? Would like to get me a roll of it somewhere to keep on hand. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pull-pull cable

Don't know the size of DuBro product. For just a little more money you can buy control line cable. It comes on anywhere from 30' to 70' rolls (2 lines) of different thicknesses. I use 0.018" stuff a lot. Proctor-enterprises.com has a whole lot of different kinds of cable (and swages) for sale, too!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Fishing section at wallyworld has what you need. The crimping ferrules and crimper are also available - cheap too!

Bliksem

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its true DuBro does not list the cable size and probably for proprietory reasons. I do happen to have some of Dubro's 4-40 wire on an airplane and just went out and mike'd it. Its close to thirty thousands but keep in mind this is plastic coated wire and has a clear plastic coating so the actual wire size will be somewhat less.

To get an idea of what the thickness of that coating I measured my controlline cables which are .018 and that is known but they just mike'd out at .022. This is because for that I also use coated wires since they must be insulated as my throttle system and other functions transmits digitized info over the wires.

So going by that its likely that the actual wire size of the cable for the 4-40 pull-pull kit is around .026. Thats just my best estimate.

John
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I use 30# Berkley Steelon nylon coated fishing leader wire in all my pull-pull setups.

It is .026 diameter. Comes in 30 foot "rolls".

Dan
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bass Pro sells braided stainless steel plastic coated wire in several sizes and it's cheap compared to anything related to RC. I stock several different sizes in my shop. If your going to make up your own systems then you may want to buy some rigging couplers in both 4-40 and 2-56. You can make up your own from all thread but it's just easier to buy a couple of packs of both.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Thanks for your replies guys and thanks John for going to the trouble. I've used [link=http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/cortland-toothy-critter.htm]Cortland Toothy Critter[/link] in the past, but found that it'll stretch after doing some knife edges. Think I was using the 20 pound stregth on a 1.20 size cap. I have the 40# strength on a 50cc Sukhoi, but haven't put the plane through the paces yet.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the nylon coated braided steel fishing line for years on all my pull-pull, mostly 1/4 scale, with never a problem. I even tried using the plastic line on some smaller models with no problems. On the big stuff, 20 to 50 pound test was used but 10 pound test is plenty on the smaller models. Pick up the ferrules at the same place as you buy the line as you can get the proper size to fit the various sized lines.