Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how to cover old Waco that was painted...

Got an old Pica Waco 1/6 scale biplane that used to have silk or some kind of cloth covering and was painted. Now the cloth is gone and the edges like at the base of the verticle stab has paint on it with some edges of the old cloth sticking out. I'm thinking of covering with Ultracote or maybe some kind of see thru covering to show off all the intricate framework but dont' know what to do to those old painted edges. Should I just sand smooth and see how it sticks or should I remove the paint/cloth with paint remover or something? I also need to reinforce some of the glue joints and fiberglass some joints to be sure it'll hold up. Really want to get this old bird back in the air and thanks for any input. Oh and one more question. Has the bell crank aileron set up for one servo. Looks like it will work very well but, I like dual servos especially since they will be moving two ailerons. One servo for 4. Doesn't sound like a good plan.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: how to cover old Waco that was painted...

Jim,

there is a thread in the β€œGolden Age, Vintage & Antique RC” form, that deals specifically with this model. There are guys there who are experts in every aspect of building, finishing, and flying of this kit. Post here in this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4058627/tm.htm (β€œWACO YMF”) and I’m sure you’ll get all the info you need. Especially on an updated aileron servo setup. And by the way, while you’re there, ask to join the WACO Brotherhood.

Good Luck
    Bob J.
    WACO Brotherhood #112

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim:

The closer you can get to bare wood, the better. But if all you an do is sand the old paint/covering smooth, the Ultracote will probably hold OK. Not great, but OK.

Keep in mind that the transparent coverings have a couple of challenges: (1) Seams and overlaps come out darker than the surrounding areas. So you need to plan ahead and have a plan for hiding them with paint or trim. (2) If you don't get all of the old paint/covering off, you may end up with a discolored area in the covering. If it's a nice straight line that wouldn't look bad, but if it's a ragged pattern it might not look as nice as the rest of the plane. The thing I've found with the transparent coverings is that surface dings and imperfections really seem to show through.

If you're wondering what it looks like:

Fred
    UltraSport Brotherhood #50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a follow up example of the seam overlap "problem"... it's not terribly noticeable, but it's there.
    Fred

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice Falldown, that's what I'm looking for. I've got the original Pica decals in red so was thinking a clear yellow? And didn't think about that seam overlap. You really have to plan where they will go and and be neat with them I see. And Sircrashalot thanks, I've been all over the waco site and at first thought about using silk and dope but the more I read about it and watch videos don't know if I have the patience to "learn" possibly mess up another plane before tackling this one. And my question is not really waco specific and that site is more for the purist it seems. I'd kind of hate to even suggest there that I was disgracing a waco with iron on. Might get run off the link. And this plane too is kind of a trial run as I was lucky enough to find another nib kit that I hope to build one day and this one will be my practice waco. I also found a Jack Stafford Ercoupe that will be fully sheeted that I also hope to have some kind of ultimate covering mastered by the time I build it. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim:

Yellow with red should look good. H9 did the covering on their 60 sized UltraStick in transparent yellow and red, and I liked that scheme. Another interesting choice might be the transparent white with red trim.

I used Ultracote, and was able to do the wings with a single piece top and bottom. One the fuselage, I used a single piece on each half, with the seams on the top and bottom center stringers. I hid the top seam on the rear of the fuselage under the headrest piece. I was going to paint over the seams on the front top/bottom seams, but am re-thinking that (this Waco is still a work-in-progress). So the only exposed seam I had was on the bottom of the fuselage, running from the back of the wing to the tail.

One thing I'd do differently: on the stabs/rudder/elevators, there are 1/8" sq balsa "ribs" running fore/aft. I'd put some 1/4"x1/8" balsa strips between those ribs on the LE/TE of the various parts, then sand the edges to a rounded profile. That will give the covering more surface to stick to, and eliminate wrinkles in the covering.
    Fred

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If its an old silk/dope finish, you can work it off and down to the wood with an acetone soaked rag and use a single edged razor blade for scraping. If the original glue was an acetate like Ambroid/Sigment/Duco special care must be taken to not dissolve the glue holding the parts together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cubfloater (Jim)

I don’t think there would be a problem, but I see your point. But FYI, it is recommended that you use a dual servo aileron setup. There’s a lot of pressure from four ailerons for just one servo, even on the 1/6 size WACO.

Good luck.
    Bob J.
    WACO Brotherhood #112

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sir Crashalot

cubfloater (Jim)

I don’t think there would be a problem, but I see your point. But FYI, it is recommended that you use a dual servo aileron setup. There’s a lot of pressure from four ailerons for just one servo, even on the 1/6 size WACO.

Good luck.
    I agree, it's just a nice setup and seems to work well but one servo for four ailerons, not really smart. I even add an extra servo even on swamp meet used planes that had one already with the torque rods. Just put two side by side. If one should go out you still have one more and hopefully can bring the plane in. No need to press your luck. And an easy fix since it's only framed up. Probably use the Sig Hog bibe/Astro Hog 2 servo wing method since I've done it a couple times. And I'd go to the Waco site and I could just ask about the prep work without admitting I'm using iron on. I do want to learn the silk and dope method but would like to meet with someone that's got lots of experience with it to guide me along. Been thinking about trying to set up a location anyway for that if possible. There's a few of us around that might like to do that. Maybe the city or community college could set us up a class or something. This hobby is kept too much to the enthusiast I've always thought. Needs more exposure. Sorry, just rambling on.