Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Running Servo Wires through wing??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Running Servo Wires through wing??

Old 11-26-2010, 03:56 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Servo Wires through wing??

Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys use to run your servo wire through the wing to the center to hook up into the fuselage.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 04:09 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running Servo Wires through wing??

Fishing weight on a string and let gravity help take it through the ribs. Then fish the wire through with the string. Or if I'm building a kit, then I add paper tubes through the ribs, so I can just push the wire through the smooth tube.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually just wrap some butcher paper into a tube, glue it so it doesn't get loose then insert it into the wing. Enjoy !!! RED
Old 11-26-2010, 04:11 PM
WCB

I tie an end of a string to a clunk and tie the other end to the servo lead. Hold the wing up and drop the clunk in so it drops down through the opening in the ribs until it reaches the opening at the wing root. Fish the clunk/string out with a piece of bent push rod, then pull the string until the servo lead comes out.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
huck1199

I use a 4-40 push rod; tape the wire end to the rod and slide it thru.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

When framing a model I use model rocket body tubes. I keep a few packages of tubes layin around in various sizes. They cost 50 to 75 cents for an 18" tube. They are very strong when glued into a wing.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
crossman

I have threaded a piece of string through the ribs before covering the wing. Then it's in place to pull the wires into position.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

For years I have either used clear, or this time colored, book report covers you can get for school supplys. They are light weight, & cut & shape easily. Drop a sting with a small weight on it & pull the wires through. Bill
Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the last 4-5 years of assembling ARFs, I haven't used anything. It's been fairly easy to hold the wing vertical and let the wire work it's way through. It takes some wiggling but hasn't ever taken more than a minute or two. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy. Some of the better ARFs have string in place to pull the plug through. In this case, you get more than you pay for.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

String and lead fishing weight but I roll bond paper around a 1/2 inch dowel and make a servo tube in the planes I build. Weigh nothing and cost is free.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Buy some of the beaded chain that is used on pull/pull ceiling lights. It's the little brass ball stuff. You can get it at any hardware store. Stand the wing on end, insert the chain and shake a little. The chain will find it's way through the wing rib holes . Tie the servo lead on and pull it back through. This chain makes the job very easy.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

Buy some of the beaded chain that is used on pull/pull ceiling lights. It's the little brass ball stuff. You can get it at any hardware store. Stand the wing on end, insert the chain and shake a little. The chain will find it's way through the wing rib holes . Tie the servo lead on and pull it back through. This chain makes the job very easy.
I didn't think anyone else did this. If I build I put the string in before covering but this is really the way to go for an ARF. I have a long piece that I salvaged out of some old vertical blinds we pulled down during a renovation.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: bullseye000

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

I didn't think anyone else did this. If I build I put the string in before covering but this is really the way to go for an ARF. I have a long piece that I salvaged out of some old vertical blinds we pulled down during a renovation.
Im another one that uses "lamp pull chain" I found in the lamp dept. at HomeyDepot. 6' pkg. is about $3. Its the easiest way I've found. I've tried fishing weight/sting/line/etc... the small chain just feeds right down with a little shake..not much at all really.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

With this chain, I don't put string in anymore when I build. This chain just finds even the smallest openning.