Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's up in today's R/C modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's up in today's R/C modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Edge540Aerobat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up in today's R/C modeling?

Hi folks!

A little about me...I've been into R/C planes since I was about in the 7th grade through about high school until my intrest in classic muscle car restoration kinda took over during high school (circa mid 90's). I've been out of the R/C airplane and general model building since then. I'm now almost 30 and have a resparked intrest in R/C (while still heavily involve with cars). I never sold or got rid of my stuff, so I'm looking to repair and finish some of the projects I had going on then. I have a Tower Trainer ARF that needs recovering, a Duraplane Trainer (which I never got around to flying either one of those yet). I have a Sig Astro Hog kit that I only have one wing half built so far, a Herr Mini Sport that needs all electrics installed and covered, and a scratch built and designed flat-bottom airfoil high wing trainer type. About 6 years back, I got a house of my own and built a garage for my cars, I'm now cleaning out my basement for a modeling workshop. I've been poking around a little on Tower's website, Great Planes, etc. The hobby/industry seems a little different today.

My first question is...where's all the kits today? Most of the planes are some type of ARFs seems to be an industry standard. I love building! I think I like it better than actually getting out and flying...maybe. What are the reasons for all these ARFs? Busy society, marketing techniques, profitability, etc.

Next question...who owns who nowadays? Where's Lanier? I've always wanted a Stinger .60 size (or bigger) after a fellow member at our club had one. It was a neat looking and flying plane (in my humble opinion). Where can I get one, does any of today's manufactuer's still produce the Stinger's. What other companines have gone under/bought up etc? Looks like Great Planes has Goldberg planes. Is Sig still around? How about the kits from Hobby Shack? I had a Ridge Runt glider that I put a Cox .049 in the nose once...actually it worked half decent.

Next question...looking for a good magazine subscription. I used to get Model Airplane News and of course Model Aviation with my AMA. I'm looking for a good all around R/C plane mag and a good Park Flyer type mag (interested in those because I have a school yard within walking distance from my house). Any opinions on the 'good' magazines of today?

Well, I hate to be so lon- winded so I'll stop here.

Happy Flying!

-Dan
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: What's up in today's R/C modeling?

You woke up in a ARF world,, the kits are all but gone,,
You'll have to search ebay for the stinger and other bygone kits,, that and this site's buy/sell section.
You'll have to scratch build if you can fine what you want to build.

p.s.
The Mags lately IMO are just more ARF advertising than anything else, MA takes me less than 30 minutes to scan through.
I wouldn't invest in a Mag unless you like the ads

Good luck
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, auctions is where you can find great kits. I just blew 20 or so out!

However, you don't need kits.

Find plans or draw your own then scratch build.

Also, the ARF's. Have you really took a good look at what guys are doing to them to make improvments? It's incredable some of the work these modelers do! Certainly a challange.

BTW. I did metal work on cars for a lifetime. Do you know what a "pick n file" man is?

Here's my last project.

www.356metalwork.com
Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our instant world of instant gratification, very few are willing to invest the time necessary to build and fly. I find, unfortunately, that this approach had led to a great number of flyers that have only money invested (rather than a lot of time and themselves) and so irresponsibility is rampart.:-((((((((

Les
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Kits are hard to sell when an ARF is cheaper and already built. Discussions of quality are another matter entirely, but the ARF's are at least good enough to fly and hold up.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 AM
WCB

The only decent magazine was RC Report and they went out awhile back. They had honest reviews and great articles, how-to's, etc. Black and white pictures mostly, but still good stuff. Somebody else already said it but most of the mags out now are nothing but glossy ads and glowing reviews. If one of their advertisers sent them a stick of stove wood with an .049 on it to review they'd say it's the greatest flier ever. If you're looking for something just to keep in the outhouse library..they are perfect. If ya want good real world information read RCU reviews and forums.

my 2 cents worth

wcb
Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Edge540Aerobat

Haha! Speaking of out-houses, I was just flipping through a Fly RC Jan 11 issue that I picked up at a local bookstore. Yep, I was in 6 pages of those glossy ads even before getting to the table of contents.

When I bought that one I also picked up one that I never heard of before...RCM&E it's the special anniversary edition. This particular issue is actually interesting because they cover a lot of the past 50 years of R/C history. Kinda cool! But I didn't realize that it's UK based (hence the $12.99 issue price)...but whatever. Did any of you guys see it?

Yeah I was hoping that somebody picked up the Stinger kits and continued to produce them. For some reason I always wanted one. Oh well, if I keep thinking I really want one bad enough I'll keep an eye out on this website and others.

Looks like you got yourself a pretty intense project there Avaiojet. I finished up a frame-off restoration of '72 Chevelle SS 402 last year (sold). I did a restoration of a '70 Chevelle and messed around with my dad's 69 Camaro during high school. And right now I've got my own 69 Camaro (bought earlier this year since selling my 72 Chevelle), a 70 Camaro, and a 69 Chevelle. Also helping dad with his 56 Chevy. All are projects, but my 69 Camaro is driver quality for now. Here's a quick pic of my 72 Chevelle just after getting all back together.

Thanks for the great site!

-Dan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90741.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	1530219  
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Augie11

Yes, kits are difficult to find these days but there are still some out there. Top Flite still offers a wide variety of good quality kits, especially warbirds, and all of their models are available from Tower Hobbies. Although Sig has been having difficulties with management changes and wood supplies, if you check their website you will know what is available. They furnished me with a Spacewalker II kit a few months back. If you like WW I birds, Balsa USA (BUSA) offers a wide variety and their line is expanding - really good stuff. Additionally, Flair in the UK is still in business and their line is offered by Radical R/C - check their website. And Bruce Tharpe Enterprises (BTE) offers several good quality kits like the Venture 60.

Of course a good set of plans and a sharp knife widens your selection exponentially!

Best of luck.

Augie
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
carrellh

Sixteen pages devoted to "Where have all the kits gone?"
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8132568
There are links to quite a few kit makers scattered through this.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
jetmech05

Welcome back......
I am one of those guys that has built kits, but I'd rather fly than build....so a good ARF is ok with me.....all of my big planes are ARF's......
Anyways kits are hard to find......Great Planes got Lainer and Goldburg a couple of years ago...Sig is still in business but they're having a pi**ing contest with their manufactuer so their stock is limited, I don't know how long this will last.
RC mags, I get the AMA mag, Fly RC and Model Airplane news.....Why cause that's all there is.....you won't find a bad review in any mag of any product....can't PO the advertisers......so you'll have to research a product on your own......but the good points to the mags is there is good info in all of them, and I do enjoy them....
Before you fly get all new batteries and perhaps some time on a buddy box to knock off the cobwebs...
Good Flyin to ya
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Edge540Aerobat

Thanks jetmech05! It's good to be back! Yeah I don't have a problem with ARF's but I don't like to see that there's not too many kits around anymore...at least like it was 10-12 years ago when I was active in the hobby. And yep, I'm sure to need the cobwebs knocked off. I'll have to first get out my older version of Real Flight and do some basic brushing up before heading out.

Actually, I haven't found a field to fly at yet. The one I used to go to, of course is no more.

Thanks for the great link carrellh. I've been reading it some this evening and saved it in my favorites to continue later. It's a long one, but has some good links.

Augie11, I was just visiting Sig's website and it was really refreshing to see some of the kits that I remember. From the 'Hog to the 4 Star 40, Kougar and Kobra. Now getting one of those from Sig may be a different story you say?

Welp, it's getting late and my eyes are getting heavy especially from starring at this screen. Good night folks!

-Dan
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Augie11

Dan-
If you see something on the Sig site you like, give them a try. I've heard from some others there are delays and/or backorders but they've always come through for me.

Best of luck!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Between flying your bigger stuff, you could pick up a bind and fly electric foamy to fly at the big field just east of the high school. The little foam brush-less electric planes have really taken off lately.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
carrellh

If you decide you want a Sig kit, grab the phone and call them to see if it is available. Someone recently posted that he ordered a Hog Bipe through the Sig web site and got a notification it was delayed. He called them and found out they had the kits with the exception of the molded plastic headrest, or maybe it was the wheel pants. He asked if they'd ship it without those things and had it in a few days.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Edge540Aerobat

Hey thanks, guys!

I'm gonna head over to the electric plane forums for a while so I can brush up on my LiPo and motor knowledge so I can pick out a motor, prop, ESC, and battery for my Herr Mini Sport. Take care!

-Dan
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

If you learn anything, please come back and translate it into nitro english, I never understand a word they are saying over there
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Edge540Aerobat

HAHAHA...yeah I know. I've never built anything w/ electric power. And LiPo Batts. didn't come on the scene too much until after I was into the R/C hobby several years ago. So I got some learin' to do.

I was just looking at Hobby Lobby's site over my lunch break here at work because I'm kinda-sorta interested in getting a Telemaster kit. I learned on the Telemaster 40 with a buddy box...super great guy at our field years back taught me on it. I always wanted one of my own. Since a Lainer Stinger kit possibly won't be in my future (this winter anyway)...I was looking for the Senior Telemaster kit (bigger then the 40). Wouldn't you know it...temporarily out of production, on it all of the Telemaster kits by the looks of it. At least the site says "anticipated availability Spring 2011". I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Anybody know about Hobby Lobby's current status? Especially on the Telemaster kits?

-Dan
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
sscherin

Funny you took the same path I did..

I stopped flying around 91 or so when I started building my 70 Firebird..
I came back in 2007 with many of the same questions you have..

Most of the magazines are just an ARF fest filled with glowing reviews.. Nothing is ever bad..
I get most of my info from RCU, RCGroups and a few other random sites..

Radios and electric are a whole new world.. Don't mess around reviving old radios.. Get a new 2.4 TX.RX and have fun..

Kits and building have not died off as some here claim.. It's just not main stream anymore..
There are lots of kit cutters out there willing to cut almost anything in the AMA or RCM catalog..
AMA offers foam wing cores for plans they sell..

The RCM plans service is still alive and kicking even if the magazine is gone..
You can get the original Senior Telemaster plans form them
http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1435

This thread has a list of places that still sell kits or offer laser cutting
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976993

Balsa USA is still alive
https://www.balsausa.com

Tower/Hobbico has eaten up most of the big players from the past.. They bought Goldber, Lanier, Dynaflite, Thundertigre, Top FLite then took and axe to most of their products that competed with Great Planes.. Hobbico is the distributor for OS engines and Futaba radios in the US.

Dubro is still alive
http://www.dubro.com/

Sig is alive but struggling some say.
http://www.sigmfg.com/

House of Balsa is alive
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/

Horizon Hobby is the other big player.. They own Hangar 9 and distribute JR and Spektrum radios.

The Chinese are moving in with direct sales to customers world wide through places like http://www.hobbyking.com
Shipping is slow. QC is hit and miss.. mostly miss but the prices are so insanely low it's worth taking a chance sometimes.

I could go on but you'll catch up and make your choices.. The building forums here and on RCGroups are amazing sources of information on any topic you can imagine.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 PM
scooterinvegas

As far as the 2.4 thing goes, DONT gets sucked into "Brand A radio is best, dont buy brand B because its sucks!". There seems to be A LOT of bs on the forums about "My radio is better than your radio". So much that Im getting sick of it!!

There ALL pretty good. I fly brand F & brand S, and like them both. Research the options, Rx cost and buy what YOU like.

Oh, if you do go Spektum/JR, 6v on the Rx is not a option, it is a MUST.

Scoot.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Edge540Aerobat

Ok...I don't know what that really means as far as the radios go. Looks like I have somemore learn' to do.

I have (2) older Airtronics Vanguard systems (both 4 ch)...probably about 15 years old (from the top of my head), and a Futaba Skysport system (6 ch...I think)....probably about 6 years old.

What's the scoop on these? Ok, basic question, can I still used them?

I feel like a newbie since being away from the hobby for so long.

Thanks guys!

-Dan
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, as long as your batteries are still able to hold a charge. If you fly at a club, there may be rules to contend with, but I would think most still allow use of the "old" FM radios.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
sscherin

If they are pre 1991 radios as long as they have the AMA gold narrow band sticker you should be good to go..
If they are newer then 91 you no problem.. Just be sure the batteries are in good shape..

I just found that after replacing all my old TX and RX batteries for assorted non computer radios I was half way to the cost of a new 7 ch radio that could handle all my aircraft...

Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RC REPORT is an on line magazine and still has most of the staff still on board so there is still an honest magazine out there. Problem with RCR was the lack of new kits to review and do build on. They were forced to start going the way of ARF reviews but it was fun to see what they had to say about the same plane reviewed in magazines like MAN, sometimes apples and oranges.
Kits are hard to find. ARFs got better over time and with good marketing they started taking over.
If you want a Stinger then go to Model Airplane News plans and look at what they have. Then you can go into RC Modeling plans and look around. As long as we have plans we have kit building, you just have to cut your own kit. Very easy and there are a number of places to buy your wood, Balsa USA and LONE STAR BALSA are just two I use.
If you go into the kit building forum there is a lot of info there. Good kits can be found on sites like Ebay if you want to do that, it's a risk but a lot of guys have scored good. We have a market place right here on RCU that often has good deals. If you ask if someone has something for sale in the building forum you would be surprised at how many guys are willing to help you find your dream kit.
Good luck and welcome back.
Gene
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

RC REPORT is an on line magazine and still has most of the staff still on board so there is still an honest magazine out there.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/newproductslist.cfm

This one too, and it's free.

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

If you learn anything, please come back and translate it into nitro english, I never understand a word they are saying over there

Here it's translated, he does a decent job. It helped me take the plunge, although nothing will replace the glow hobby.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSuperPowers
http://www.********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

As far as the 2.4 thing goes, DONT gets sucked into ''Brand A radio is best, dont buy brand B because its sucks!''. There seems to be A LOT of bs on the forums about ''My radio is better than your radio''. So much that Im getting sick of it!!
How about a 9 channel radio for $55? It sells out fast but comes back every other month. Reviews are decent. Here is a $35 upgrade for Futaba to bring 9C and others to 2.4Ghz for $35. Welcome to hobbyking.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14348

$23 for a lipo charger, this is what I use.
http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=1040

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chd...FY5l7AodLQdl0A
Sure beats that $109 Thunder Power unit.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sscherin
Tower/Hobbico has eaten up most of the big players from the past.. They bought Goldberg, Lanier, Dynaflite, Thundertigre, Top FLite then took and axe to most of their products that competed with Great Planes.. Hobbico is the distributor for OS engines and Futaba radios in the US.
It's amazing how many people actually believe that kits get dropped because they "compete" with Great Planes kits! A manufacturer gets purchased because it has assets that fit into our company's overall strategy for sales and long-term growth. If a kit (or any other item) is selling, it's kept. If it's not selling, it gets dropped...no other reason. We don't understand the idea that an item of a line we own is dropped just because it has items that will compete with other items in other lines we own. They are all OUR product lines! We even drop Great Planes and Hobbico kits if they don't sell, and Tower Hobbies drops Tower kits when their sales drop. If it sells, we make it. It's just that simple.

GM didn't drop Pontiac because it competed with Chevy or Buick, but because the sales of Pontiac products didn't justify continued efforts to produce and promote.

By the way, we did not buy Thunder Tiger. Thunder Tiger came to us and we became their exclusive distributor for North America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.