Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro application

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro application

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
adamk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro application

I would like to use a gyro to improve takeoffs. My tailwheel is on a servo slaved to the rudder. Can I connect the gyro to the slaved servo or must I use the master rudder servo ?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gyro application

here is the thread you need to read.
i'm doing the same thing, and thx to this thread it made setup much easier,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6056543/tm.htm
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 AM
beepee

I have one on a short coupled bipe. There are many on the site here that will tell you to learn to handle the plane. Fair enough, but some of them are a bear, even if you know how to handle them.

Do not slave it to the tailwheel only. You need rudder on the gyro too. You need a rate gyro and you need to be able to switch it off in the air (controlled by the gear switch). If you don't, it fouls up your aerobatics and drains your battery (always trying to work the rudder).

I find it effective in ground handling and especially in crosswind landings. You still have to be able to control the plane, but the gyro just reduces the workload (doesn't take it away).

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I agree, Gyro to control both tail wheel and rudder, and the ability to turn gyro off once in the air; I have read and heard from many saying to forget the gyro, learn to use the rudder, etc, etc, yada yada; to that a bunch of bunk; what a great sight and feeling to see your airplane roll out straight down the runway and lift off without any embarrassing groud loops or wild and nerve wracking roll outs; not to mention damage from some out of control take off that took out a pilot station; I use them on all my tail dragging scaled out warbirds, which I have invested a lot of time and money into, i'm not about to get them ruined on bad takeoffs.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Lnewqban

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-gyros.html
Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 PM
adamk
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the input guys. No one is imune from dumb thumbs.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 PM
jetmech05

I one of those that says you need to learn to input rudder, not a gyro....
But I am not here to critize, but maybe help you out a bit......I have a Sig Spacewalker that was giving me fits on takeoff......it would seem to track what ever way it wanted on take off no matter what I did with the rudder......the airplane was new and did this on the maiden flight until fixed.
Nothing seemed out of place with the mains or the tail wheel visually.....I don't remember what it was exactly that made me take a closer look at the mains until the winds had us change take off direction......But I remember finding out that the airplane tracked straight with the tail wheel on the ground, which required a little right rudder to counter the p factor but as soon as the tail lifted off the airplane tracked right, which now required a little left rudder......in the short time I had to switch from right to left rudder between the tail lifting and takeoff..the airplane was squirrely.....this did not show on landings....
I found that the way the main strut was made that both mains were off to the right just a little titty bit....it seemed when compaired to the center line of the airplane....I ordered a replacement main strut and the problem was solved.....
Remember on takeoff roll the tail wheel is only on the ground a short time then it is all rudder.....
Maybe a little less rudder throw or a little more....or some expo is in order......check your mains....Good Luck