Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Micro Servo for throttle?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Micro Servo for throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Servo for throttle?

Hello again.

Is it possible to use a mini servo such as this :
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...rum/DSP60.html

for the throttle on my Saito 100?

Thanks

Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Micro Servo for throttle?

I think as long as there is NO binding in the push rod it would be a fine set up. I've used them on my bench cause I had one handy and it worked great, but it doesn't take much bind to lock it up. As long as you keep that in mind in your set up go for it. If your not sure, or have any doubt, I would stick with standard size.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

This is a subject that I have pondered myself sometimes, it seems reasonable..
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only concern would be vibration. Some of these little servos are intended for electrics and they have no rubber grommets to help isolate them from engine vibration. I have used them with small, 1/2A type engines but I would be nervous with larger stuff. That doesn't mean you have to use a full size servo though. A lot of planes are set up for using a mini servo on the throttle. Just make sure it is rubber mounted and it should be OK.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

A friend and I have both tried mini or micro servos on throttles in gas planes several times with no success, they cannot handle the vibration. May be ok on the smaller glow engines.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a little too small IMO.

On glow planes, I'll use a Hitec HS-81 with plastic gears. No problems in dozens of applications and literally hundreds and hundreds of flights.

On 60 size planes, I've even glued them to the firewall instead of screws on a servo mount. Just scuff the side of the case with some 80 grit paper and scuff the firewall as well. Wipe all the dust off and slap it on there with 5 minute epoxy. Works fine for me on several planes. Nice part about this is no long pushrod to snake around inside the fuse and around the fuel tank. With a firewall mounted throttle servo, your linkage is usually about 2 inches long. Use those little 2/56 snap ball links for a slop-free install.

Comes off when you wreck the plane. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I've used an HS81 several times on throttle and seems to work great, It isnt cheaper than a standard servo, but fits in smaller places.
ED
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM
LargeScale88

Thanks for the replies. I never really though about the vibration before, but I think i'll stick to the standard sizes.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM
ChuckW

If space is an issue the you can use something like the HS-81 or similar as other have mentioned. It has rubber mounting grommets. The HS-82 even has metal gears if you think that is beneficial.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN676&P=0

Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Mk23socom

Ididnt even think about some of them not coming with the rubber grommets.. certainly not something I wanna risk..
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use double sided foam tape if it has no grommets. I have used a sub micro servo mounted this way inside a cowl on a couple of occaisions with it connected direct to the throttle arm and had no probs. OS 120 FS and Moki 210.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I've used the Hitec HS-85 and the Futaba 3101 with great success on throttle servos.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 AM
da Rock

chuckle.... chuckle.....

Just installed an HS-81 in my soon-to-be powered by OS91FX Warhawk. My planes usually get a mini servo on the throttles. Weight matters.

Been back in the hobby for over 5 years now, and every model has gotten a little servo. I can't get around in the shop for the bloody fuselages, but good thing is, when I have to pick one up to get around it, it's at least a half ounce lighter than it would be with a big servo. Also, thanks to the weight saving, I estimate my models are at least 15mph faster than they'd be otherwise.

As for vibration.... All mine are glow engine powered. A glow engine carb actually works as a damper for the throttle pushrod. No kidding. The throttle barrel is damped by the liquid between the barrel and carb body. Works like magic to reduce the vibration the motor would send down the pushrod. Honest....
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Mk23socom

Ilike to rub a rabbits foot on my glow plugs when Itake them out of the package.. Ican run them for an extra season if Ido..
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
KitBuilder

I use HS-81's on mine so far up to .46 with no issues. Servo is located farther back though.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mk23socom

I like to rub a rabbits foot on my glow plugs when I take them out of the package.. I can run them for an extra season if I do.. [img][/img]
Thats what I do to... Now that's funny.

Really what are you actually saving by trusting the thrust control of some large airplane with a Saito100 to a servo with 13.2oz. of torque... and you're going to pay more on top of it?? The small gears will just get beat to hell and back, and when they get back, your throttle won't work. Its not worth it for a second.